1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: True SINGLEPLAYER Board Game? (RPG) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
So, let me explain this a bit: I like board games a lot. I primarily play strategy/rpg board games, and love ones with miniatures, cards, tiles, tokens, etc. For example, I play Descent Second Edition, Lobotomy, Shadows of Brimstone, Tomb of Annihilation, DOOM, and am now starting to get into D&D. I’m also interested in the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. My question is: are there any games like these that are TOTALLY singleplayer, or have a specifically singleplayer mode? I’m looking for something with character customization and creation, as well as the ability to carry that character through multiple “campaigns”, like D&D, or Pathfinder, or Shadows of Brimstone, and so on... Anyone have any idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In case your not aware, there is a solo guild (1PG, etc.) where peeps discuss various solo games. You may get your answer there...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Massive Darkness has a campaign mode where you can carry your character through all 10 missions. I believe you can do all of them (except maybe #9?) solo. You can also just control multiple characters by yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
johnb4bgg wrote:
In case your not aware, there is a solo guild (1PG, etc.) where peeps discuss various solo games. You may get your answer there...?

I was not aware, so thanks much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
Serneum wrote:
Massive Darkness has a campaign mode where you can carry your character through all 10 missions. I believe you can do all of them (except maybe #9?) solo. You can also just control multiple characters by yourself.

I’ll take a look at it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Dragonfire Although it is sounding like you have to play multiple characters to have a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
fh13 wrote:
Dragonfire Although it is sounding like you have to play multiple characters to have a chance.

Yeah I believe this is one of those D&D “Mini” games like Tomb of Annihilation. I still might give it a chance though. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Skolorbog wrote:
fh13 wrote:

Yeah I believe this is one of those D&D “Mini” games like Tomb of Annihilation. I still might give it a chance though. Thanks!

Think more deck builder like Shadowrun Crossfire... although it already looks like it is going to be supported better. The base game has 4-5 adventures (wrapped into one story line I believe), and there are already plans for 2-3 more adventure packs announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
fh13 wrote:
Skolorbog wrote:
fh13 wrote:

Think more deck builder like Shadowrun Crossfire... although it already looks like it is going to be supported better. The base game has 4-5 adventures (wrapped into one story line I believe), and there are already plans for 2-3 more adventure packs announced.

Sounds nifty enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Stippel
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sure Mage Knight will be mentioned and as far as i can tell Nemo's War Second Edition is a single player only game, i don't have it but it looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
Wstippel wrote:
I'm sure Mage Knight will be mentioned and as far as i can tell Nemo's War Second Edition is a single player only game, i don't have it but it looks good.

I actually forgot to mention that I have Mage Knight haha oops! Nemo's War seems pretty sick though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pathfinder Card Game stuff is often a great thing for single player. Those games might be better with more characters, but they are doable solo. You could choose to play two characters yourself. I played multiple campaigns two player, so that would work. One campaign I played two player with each of us using two characters (to make it a four character game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
nukesniper wrote:
The Pathfinder Card Game stuff is often a great thing for single player. Those games might be better with more characters, but they are doable solo. You could choose to play two characters yourself. I played multiple campaigns two player, so that would work. One campaign I played two player with each of us using two characters (to make it a four character game)

Yeah Pathfinder definitely has my interest piqued...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Gloomhaven I'm playing solo (with 2 characters) which is a mode in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
sixstrings4one wrote:
Try Gloomhaven I'm playing solo (with 2 characters) which is a mode in the rule book.

Definitely looking forward to it, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Skolorbog wrote:
nukesniper wrote:

There's an app version that is a pretty good representation of what you'll find in the game if you want to give that a try first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
fh13 wrote:
Skolorbog wrote:
nukesniper wrote:

There's an app version that is a pretty good representation of what you'll find in the game if you want to give that a try first.

Oh really? I will check that out for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would also +1 Nemo's War, great game. Although it has rules for coop and semi-coop, those appear to be bolted on to a game that was designed to be played solo. Other purely solo's off the top of my head are Onirim and Friday. Never played Onirim, but I have Friday and don't like it. One Deck Dungeon can be played with 2(more?) but i think most play it single and that might also be fun. The last 3 are smaller card based games, so don't really fit with the examples you listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callum Baird
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Legacy of Dragonholt may be missing the board and miniatures, but it has character customization, creation and development with six campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
johnb4bgg wrote:
I would also +1 Nemo's War, great game. Although it has rules for coop and semi-coop, those appear to be bolted on to a game that was designed to be played solo. Other purely solo's off the top of my head are Onirim and Friday. Never played Onirim, but I have Friday and don't like it. One Deck Dungeon can be played with 2(more?) but i think most play it single and that might also be fun. The last 3 are smaller card based games, so don't really fit with the examples you listed.

I appreciate the time you took and will give those games a look!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
Callum B wrote:
Legacy of Dragonholt may be missing the board and miniatures, but it has character customization, creation and development with six campaigns.

Sounds veeeery interesting. I will have to look deeper!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Broeren
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like playing card games solo, next to the excellent Pathfinder Card Game I like to suggest The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and/or Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I think the Lord of the Rings card game could be interesting for you. Main drawback is that it requires expansions after beating the base game and there is no "leveling up" of characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Just to be sure, is the fantasy theme a deal breaker? All your examples are fantasy based but you didn't mention it being important.

If you're willing to "settle" for other themes, Star Wars Imperial Assault is a reskinning of decent (which you like) and recently had an app released as well.

Other than that, if I understand correctly, you're looking for specifically running around with 1 character only? You don't want to be a single player controlling multiple characters?

If that isn't a deal breaker, than you can try Sword and Sorcery. It's really fun solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Untold: Adventures Await seems to do everything that you're looking for?

(Yes, it's a shameless plug, but it's a very good game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Welch
Canada
flag msg tools
Marthian80 wrote:
If you like playing card games solo, next to the excellent Pathfinder Card Game I like to suggest The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and/or Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I think the Lord of the Rings card game could be interesting for you. Main drawback is that it requires expansions after beating the base game and there is no "leveling up" of characters.

Will check them out. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.