Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Warr
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the bottom left hand corner of board C2 is a loch space which is shaded and marked by mist.

The 2-player game rules state "The shaded land spaces at the edge (additionally marked by mist) are not part of the active map..."
However it also states that "All loch spaces are part of the active map."

No other loch spaces on the edge of the board are shaded or have mist, this is the only one. Is this a mistake? Should it be part of the active map in a 2-player game, just like all the other loch spaces on the edge of the board, or is it shaded deliberately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias N
Germany
Landsberg / Lech
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I'd never noticed that issue before. I played it as an inactive map tile in my solo games, but been made aware of it, I read up this rule section again you mentioned in your thread. So imho this loch tile should be also active in a 2-player or solo game. It's not a land space.

On the other side I wonder, if that will be important for the gameplay and strategy in a 2-player game, if that space is active or not. In my previous solo games I never occupied this space before, even not using scoring tile #5 and Clan Fegusson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Without looking at it: can it be that the loch hex shaded should be covered by a port bonus tile in a 1-2 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kinne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:
Without looking at it: can it be that the loch hex shaded should be covered by a port bonus tile in a 1-2 player game?

I don't think it is. I believe it's this one - as shown in image below:

I think that loch space should be excluded in a 2 player game, because of the clouds - but I might be wrong of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That was not intentional, the loch space is part of the active map.

Thank you for the catch!

Juma
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Julian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I play without this space. I cannot see much benefit of using it. If I wanted to use a shipping reach for settlements I would have already built across the river. I could then use loch shipping to skip a hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I thought you'd look here...the answer is slightly cryptic
badge
Water has many forms, mostly in the form of hexes
mbmbmbmbmb
MacDonald could use it for fishing, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.