Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have recently bought this game and I am very happy with it. A truly nice and clever design about an interesting and intense historical period. I have played two games until now and I have enjoyed both a lot.

Rules and cards are generally clear, but we had several doubts which need clarification. Thanks in advance!

- Reserve: Are cards in a Player's Reserve included in his hand size? For example, if a Player has one card in his Reserve and it is time to draw cards (a hand of 5), does he draw 4 or 5 cards?

- Coup event cards: When playing coup event cards, like Metaxas (N17), Dollfus (N21) and Pats and Ulmanis (N34), is it posible to re-roll the die (losing 1 Prestige, as usual)?

- The Long March political action: The card’s text says “Remove from play when the 2nd Sino-Japanese War (C22, D27, N27) breaks out.” Armistice with Kuomintang (C19) also removes that card from play. In those cases, is The Long March card removed from play permanently or just discarded (and it may be played again later)?
Also, I understand that the card is only removed if it is active (it is NOT removed from the deck or player’s hand). Correct?

- Defend Czechoslovakia! political action: This Democracy card cancels Nazi cards N33 (Occupation of Sudeten) and N36 (Annexation of Czechoslovakia). Both are “Stand-By” cards, so their effects do not apply until the end of the Political Phase of the current turn. What happens if the Nazi Player plays one of these cards in the last round and he plays –in order-AFTER the Democracy Player? I understand that Defend Czechoslovakia! must be played after one of the Nazi mentioned events is played, so in this case it could not be played. Correct?

- Defend Poland! political action: This is similar to the case mentioned above, but has its own particularities. This Democracy card cancels Nazi card N35 (War in Poland), which is NOT a “Stand-By” card: the Democracy card must be played in the SAME round BUT before the Nazi card. So I understand that if the Nazi plays –in order- BEFORE the Democracy and he plays War in Poland, it cannot be cancelled. Correct?

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentilhombre wrote:
Hi,

I have recently bought this game and I am very happy with it. A truly nice and clever design about an interesting and intense historical period. I have played two games until now and I have enjoyed both a lot.

Rules and cards are generally clear, but we had several doubts which need clarification. Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

Gentilhombre wrote:

- Reserve: Are cards in a Player's Reserve included in his hand size?

No.

Gentilhombre wrote:

For example, if a Player has one card in his Reserve and it is time to draw cards (a hand of 5), does he draw 4 or 5 cards?

Five cards.

Gentilhombre wrote:

- Coup event cards: When playing coup event cards, like Metaxas (N17), Dollfus (N21) and Pats and Ulmanis (N34), is it posible to re-roll the die (losing 1 Prestige, as usual)?

I don't have the game here, but I remember that these cards say that you can perform a Coup Attempt with modifiers and some rule modification (no need of CC and no reaction). So, the other rules are valid and therefore you can do the re-roll, of course!

Gentilhombre wrote:

- The Long March political action: The card’s text says “Remove from play when the 2nd Sino-Japanese War (C22, D27, N27) breaks out.” Armistice with Kuomintang (C19) also removes that card from play. In those cases, is The Long March card removed from play permanently or just discarded (and it may be played again later)?

Remove from play, not simply discard.

Gentilhombre wrote:

Also, I understand that the card is only removed if it is active (it is NOT removed from the deck or player’s hand). Correct?

Yes, only if the war is currently being fought.

Gentilhombre wrote:

- Defend Czechoslovakia! political action: This Democracy card cancels Nazi cards N33 (Occupation of Sudeten) and N36 (Annexation of Czechoslovakia). Both are “Stand-By” cards, so their effects do not apply until the end of the Political Phase of the current turn. What happens if the Nazi Player plays one of these cards in the last round and he plays –in order-AFTER the Democracy Player? I understand that Defend Czechoslovakia! must be played after one of the Nazi mentioned events is played, so in this case it could not be played. Correct?

- Defend Poland! political action: This is similar to the case mentioned above, but has its own particularities. This Democracy card cancels Nazi card N35 (War in Poland), which is NOT a “Stand-By” card: the Democracy card must be played in the SAME round BUT before the Nazi card. So I understand that if the Nazi plays –in order- BEFORE the Democracy and he plays War in Poland, it cannot be cancelled. Correct?

The Alter the Order of Play rule is in the game to allow the Democracy player to resolve in their favor exactly such situations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luca, thanks for your answers!

calvinus wrote:
Gentilhombre wrote:

The Alter the Order of Play rule is in the game to allow the Democracy player to resolve in their favor exactly such situations!

OK, I wanted to confirm that I am understanding these cards correctly.

Anyway, I see one possibility: if the Nazi player is the last one in play order, applying the Alter the Order of Play rule, he could choose his position in game order, and being the last one the rest of players would not be able to modify that play order.

So, if the Nazi player is the last one in play order, he will be able to alter the order and play his cards mentioned above without any option of cancelling them by the Democracy player.

Am I correct?

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are correct. But in my experience the Nazi player uses those cards to win the game via a "military" resolution rather than with a "political" pattern, and this usually happens when he has a low Prestige. Altering the Order of Play by one position on the Track costs one Prestige and one Uncommitted MR loss, and the Nazi player could find himself unable to expend enough of such assets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.