Project: ELITE» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How do you win Project: ELITE? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kory
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
I treasure the real-time strategy genre above all dissimilar things within the entertainment sector
badge
A data addict who you are likely to encounter on this site, especially if you are reading this message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG users,
I played my first game of Project: ELITE yesterday.

A more experienced player of the game said:
"We should play easy mode"

A less experienced player of the game said:
"No way that'll be too easy - let's try medium".

Long story short we got destroyed on medium difficulty between the event (that spawned an additional alien), constant spawning of aliens that comes with 4 players, bosses, and dice rolls.

A couple of players thought that the game was rather impossible, which brings me here.

What strategies do you use to win Project: ELITE?
- What characters are best?
- What weapons are best?
- What items are best?
- What monsters should take priority?
- How many people should aim to complete the objectives? Should some stay behind to protect the exit?
- Is it worth searching for items?
- How many players is it best to play with regarding monster spawns?
- Do you look for weapons or items at the start of the game?
- Do the alien expansions to the game just make the game more difficult?
Etc.

Edit: Thanks for the advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing we really didn't "get" in our first game is how to use the alien dice rolls. Let them come to you. Leave someone near the back. Use 20 or more alien dice rolls to move an alien all the way from it's spawn point and let it get all the way to near the exit. Then kill it with the dice you have saved up.

You've got to maximise the amount of time the aliens waste moving, meaning you can afford to roll more and more dice and waste them on the aliens. And having a rear-guard role is required to do this.

Beyond that, get used to how the aliens can push each other along - make sure you aren't setting up push chains. Yes, get better weapons / items, you'll need them, but balance it all with getting the mission done.

I've only played 4 player, and it was a blast. But a lot more strategic than the real-time co-op mode would have you believe.

Oh, and sometimes, not always, but sometimes "just rolling as fast as you can" is NOT the best strategy !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I'll let you know once I finally manage to win a game blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would absolutely recommend starting on easy. It's how best to learn what works and what doesn't.

But some easy things to watch for.

BEFORE THE TIMED ROUND
1. Have an agreed plan with roughly what each of you will do in the round.
2. Decide what aliens can afford to be moved first.
3. Don't stop communicating here.

DURING TIMED ROUND
1. If you create a situation that can absorb some alien moves, communicate it to the group (especially if you want monsters lined up for a special shot).
2. If you are in trouble, don't scream help. Work out what you need, if it's possible and who could help and tell them succinctly.
3. If you have achieved the plan this turn AND/OR have run low on dice (due to them being locked). Consider no longer rolling for the turn. It's quite possible the limited returns on a successful roll for you aren't worth the risk of more alien moves.
4. Don't ALWAYS lock dice on objectives. Check that if you start one, you (and any others that could help) have enough dice between you to complete it. If not, use your dice to clean up aliens, or again, just stop rolling, communicate with others what you'll need for next round and plan for doing the objective then.
5. Unless vital for your strategy, use one use (discard) items as soon as they can save you a significant chunk of time. You will likely get a chance to grab more at some point and saving an item for a rainy day is often simply a waste item (and item slot).

AFTER
1. Weapon/item balance. This can be crucial. Having 2 weapons that both lock up dice and/or can't be used repeatedly is a sure-fire way to get in trouble (unless you have a specific purpose for a round, like pure defender or boss killer).

Finally. Be prepared to lose. Every game on easy of this (except for when I played solo) we have won or lost in the last moments of the last round of the game. It's a tense and tight game, will often need some risks taken and is thankfully nice and difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too add to what's already been said, remember that the fewer aliens there are on the board, the faster they move towards you. I lost a solo game in the first round because I spawned 2 green single aliens, and every alien roll made them sprint across the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Gába
Slovakia
Marianka
flag msg tools
badge
Project: ELITE - the greatest realtime gaming experience of all times!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great forum!

If you are new players, always choose Extermination objective to play. This is very important, the other ones are not that straight forward.

Characters to choose: The easiest ones are the ones that have passive abilities. Momentum and Bus are the most easiest to use, very good are Robcart, Sandra and Caress as well. Viki is great but is difficult and in my own experience, Sarah and Lila are the weaker ones, not to talk about Sandman. (Did I forgot someone?)

A good rule is to initialy draw more weapons than items. Because you can't kill with items. Yes, you can search for equip later.

When we are playing 2-4 players (hard and very hard dif), usually we are trying to advance forward while not letting the aliens get behind us. Also, the main goal is to finish the objectives, not to kill all aliens. Thus it is usually possible to finish in round 6 or 7 - with a quick extraction at the end.

Also, the advices mentioned before are all great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete & SO
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
just another few words I found I'd like to add. The other posters did a great job.

Regarding Items/Weapons: we haven't found a perfect balance yet, but we mostly go for weapons. Some items are fun, but more weapons means more ways of getting rid of aliens fast, and that helps a lot.

Looking at Weapons: As someone mentioned, red dice mean powerful, one-use weapons. Some are really good, but usually not worth the blocked die unless the situation calls for a special action. Weapons with only one activation die in white can be used rapidly and lots of times. Sometimes that is more important than damage. Weapons that allow for multiple hits are best and worth saving up your action dice for.

Take a hard look at your starting equipment: in most cases, we divide the cards and decide not to waste a single action searching in the whole game. Unless someone happens to stand in the right area with nothing to do.

When the timed round comes to a close, watch your position and the aliens. Green and red guys should be eliminated as soon as possible, the rest are only dangerous when they are close to you (runners and especially shooters) or too close to the starting area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.