BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Trump didn't expect to win, nor did he want the job rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-horrified-won-white-house-1...

Believable? I think so, knowing now that Trump is all showman, and little substance, it did not surprise me when I read this.

I don't believe he ever expected to win, nor did he want to, he was simply using the campaign to stay in the limelight, which he obviously loves.

He was unprepared to take this job, since he did not really want it (temperament and intelligence aside). And let's face it, he looks at the news everyday, and it's highly unlikely he watches FOX News. It's more likely he watches the stations that tend to trash his presidency, and that is obviously not the adulation he likes or needs. He's like a trapped animal, and with his limited intelligence, his only method of 'fighting back' is to lash out at those that attack him.

Melania does not look too comfortable in her role either. But I will cut her some slack, because clearly, she was involuntarily thrown into her role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a hell of a read about a lunatic and his staff.

I disagree though that Trump did NOT want to win; seriously, Trump NOT want to win? He was just spinning what he thought was his impending defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course he wanted to win. Just not for the same motivations that most people want the job. Plus, he was delusional and ignorant enough to think he could do the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Huh. I finally have something in common with Donald Trump: I didn’t want him to be President, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What? No one is going to comment on the part where Steve Bannon says the Donald and his family are a bunch of traitors?

I liked POTUS response in criticizing Bannon, but not the author of the book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
"Bannon wanted Ailes to suggest to Trump, a man whose many neuroses included a horror of senility, that Murdoch might be losing it."

truely Donald is a prophet of the lord!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
He definitely wanted to win but I think he thought it was just a popularity contest or something. Congratulations sir, now you have to go to work. WTF?!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: Michael Wolff has a reputation as being something of an, ahem, dramatist when it comes to his reporting; he's been accused of fabricating quotes on multiple occasions

so: grain of salt, or a shaker even
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

Believable? I think so, knowing now that Trump is all showman, and little substance, it did not surprise me when I read this.

I don't believe he ever expected to win, nor did he want to, he was simply using the campaign to stay in the limelight, which he obviously loves.

He was unprepared to take this job, since he did not really want it (temperament and intelligence aside). And let's face it, he looks at the news everyday, and it's highly unlikely he watches FOX News. It's more likely he watches the stations that tend to trash his presidency, and that is obviously not the adulation he likes or needs. He's like a trapped animal, and with his limited intelligence, his only method of 'fighting back' is to lash out at those that attack him.

Melania does not look too comfortable in her role either. But I will cut her some slack, because clearly, she was involuntarily thrown into her role.

I've already said I thought he planned to lose and start a conservative TV network with hot and cold running starlets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

I've already said I thought he planned to lose and start a conservative TV network with hot and cold running starlets.

Yea because they've become such a sycophant network, people forgot his antagonistic relationship with Fox News during the primary (Hannity aside). It really seemed like he was planning to lose, and then start his own media network to compete with Fox News for the Murica audience.

He would blame them (along with the liberal media) 24/7 for his loss, and his base would eat it up. I really think he had a good shot at overtaking Fox News with that demographic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
mightygodking wrote:
FYI: Michael Wolff has a reputation as being something of an, ahem, dramatist when it comes to his reporting; he's been accused of fabricating quotes on multiple occasions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolff is claiming he has tapes and a number of them were done in "off the record" ways. Granted, one person who is suppose to be on tape is claiming she never said what he's claiming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

I suspect Silver was referring to Bannon and Trump with that comment...

As otherwise noted, Wolff says he has tapes. I dunno.

But...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Wolff is claiming he has tapes and a number of them were done in "off the record" ways. Granted, one person who is suppose to be on tape is claiming she never said what he's claiming.

Trump's lawyer just hit Bannon with a "cease and desist" order claiming, among other things

Quote:
...disclosing Confidential Information to Mr. Wolff, and making disparaging statements and in some cases outright defamatory statements to Mr. Wolff about Mr. Trump, his family members,”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/01/trump-lawyer-sen...

Seems like Mr Wolff may have struck a nerve as "disclosing confidential information" would indicate some of this is true. The fun part will be figuring out what is that is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
matthean wrote:

Trump's lawyer just hit Bannon with a "cease and desist" order claiming, among other things

Quote:
...disclosing Confidential Information to Mr. Wolff, and making disparaging statements and in some cases outright defamatory statements to Mr. Wolff about Mr. Trump, his family members,”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/01/trump-lawyer-sen...

Seems like Mr Wolff may have struck a nerve as "disclosing confidential information" would indicate some of this is true. The fun part will be figuring out what is that is

Laughs, Trump is an idiot. Sending out a notice like that is meaningless, unless its followed by a defamation lawsuit, and if there is a lawsuit, there will be discovery, which will only tend to bring this mudfest out further into the open. He is his own worst enemy, but this is a typical example of lashing out, without really thinking it through. For publicity reasons, this would be Bannon's wet dream, if his aim is to expose or ouster Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
He definitely wanted to win but I think he thought it was just a popularity contest or something.

Pretty much this. He had no idea what being President meant, so whether he really wanted it is a moot point.

The thing with Bannon is pretty amusing. He did as much to push Trump into the white house as anybody, then the beast he helped create turned and bit him. Hah! I still don't believe anything he says any more than I ever did though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
rinelk wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

I suspect Silver was referring to Bannon and Trump with that comment...

As otherwise noted, Wolff says he has tapes. I dunno.

But...

This is my thinking. The best thing for Trump to do is deny and downplay it. His freaking out is exactly what will validate it by default.

Talmanes wrote:
dkearns wrote:
He definitely wanted to win but I think he thought it was just a popularity contest or something.

Pretty much this. He had no idea what being President meant, so whether he really wanted it is a moot point.

The thing with Bannon is pretty amusing. He did as much to push Trump into the white house as anybody, then the beast he helped create turned and bit him. Hah! I still don't believe anything he says any more than I ever did though.

In the list of why I wouldn't vote for Trump is he literally didn't know what it meant to be President. He was only really in so he could benefit from legislation which would impact himself, his business, and set up the rest of his family. Hell, Jared and Ivanka admitted they took WH roles so it would eventually lead to her being the first female President.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invalid tweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The "easiest" way to become a millionaire? Become a lawyer for Trump, the billable hours are 'UGE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
The "easiest" way to become a millionaire? Become a lawyer for Trump, the billable hours are 'UGE!

The harassment defense cases alone, plus working with PR crisis firms... holy hell.

True, you'd lose your soul after maybe the 3rd case, but then again - working for Trump in the first place was the first step on a long downward spiral.

Sort of like the unholy marriage of Idiocracy + Breaking Bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
rcbevco wrote:

but his little hands are unable to hold all the money to pay you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
rcbevco wrote:

Assuming he pays you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought that the Clintons, or someone close to them, were the ones that convinced Trump to run to help improve the chances of Hillary winning the day.

I'm not saying this article supports that, it was just my gut instinct when I first heard Trump was entering the race.

Watching Trump campaign was like watching a great poker player with a nothing hand bluff a chip leader. In order to make moves like that, you have to not care if you lose, or at least exude that. This is exactly the attitude I got from Trump on the campaign trail. He didn't seem like he was afraid to say anything during the primaries, or the general, much like a poker player has to be willing to lose everything they bet in order to effectively bluff or call a bluff.

For Trump to speak the way he did on the campaign trail, well at many times it seemed like he was actually trying to lose. It certainly didn't feel like he was afraid of saying something foolish that would cause him to lose. Perhaps this was just Trump being Trump, but he played his hand without any fear of losing all his chips. For what it's worth, I've only seen independent candidates with the same attitude while campaigning, such as Ralph Nader, Cynthia McKinney, and recently Bernie Sanders.

As far as Trump wanting to run for President in order to become a media mogul or some other secondary goal, well that doesn't hold water in my book just based on Trump's ego, but I guess rich people have done stranger things. Honestly, I bet Trump did it all just for attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If any of this is true, it means Patton Oswalt is some sort of soothsayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is false. Trump had run before and has a long history of interest in politics. Him being naive versus manipulative plays best for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.