Subject: Translation of Americanese rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was amusing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for teenagers, for whom the entire first column is replaced by "fine."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Does that apply Americans in general, or just some group? Is this just another example of the Valley Girl, for example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I think it is fairly accurate, though it varies person to person. I don't know if it is limited to particular areas. My wife is from the west coast and I am from the east coast, and I also have family in the south and northeast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So 'awesomely fine' would be an oxymoron?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure we'd be allowed to post the Aussie version haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Does that apply Americans in general, or just some group? Is this just another example of the Valley Girl, for example?
In general.
Even in the 21st century (where social media has done so much to degrade our language & dull our communication) there is still a large culture of propriety, where people are expected to "play nice" in public. Then after the other person leaves, or you get back to your car, then you say what you really think/feel.

I blame our collective British heritage for this particular strain of fake affability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

In general, I'd say. But it's also just meant to be a bit of fun; there's an element of truth to it but it's exaggerated here for humorous affect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can add this one:

Texans

You = you
Y'all = you
All y'all = all of you

Also, from the comments:

Californians

No, yeah = yes
Yeah, no = no
No, yeah, forsure = 100% definitely

I suspect the Aussies have a version of that last one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In New England, particularly Maine and New Hampshire the following g distinction is made:

turned around = “I took a wrong turn.”

turned around some = “I took a wrong turn and spent a couple hours finding my way back.”

some turned around = “I spent the night in the woods.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

In general, I'd say. But it's also just meant to be a bit of fun; there's an element of truth to it but it's exaggerated here for humorous affect.

Argh! Now I have that Frank Zappa song in my head...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Edward Sexby wrote:
Argh! Now I have that Frank Zappa song in my head...

Huh. I had no intention of doing a good deed today, but there you go, the strange quirks of fate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
I can add this one:

Texans

You = you
Y'all = you
All y'all = all of you

Also, from the comments:

Californians

No, yeah = yes
Yeah, no = no

I've read a theory that suggests Australians crave affirmation. We have a long history of it. Possibly to do with convict stuff, or at least a need to prove ourselves given we are at the arse end of anywhere.

Anyway, the theory would explain "yeah, nah" etc. "Yeah, nah" means no. Literally it means "I understand you but I disagree/am answering negatively". The "Yeah" is politeness, deference. "Please don't hate me even though I'm about to disagree".

The same applies to the rising intonation at the end of statements. The same as a question, but not a question. The theory says it IS a question - it's like the person is asking, "do you accept my statement? Feel free to interject and disagree...."

Where it all falls down is that Californians do both these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:
MABBY wrote:
I can add this one:

Texans

You = you
Y'all = you
All y'all = all of you

Also, from the comments:

Californians

No, yeah = yes
Yeah, no = no

I've read a theory that suggests Australians crave affirmation. We have a long history of it. Possibly to do with convict stuff, or at least a need to prove ourselves given we are at the arse end of anywhere.

Anyway, the theory would explain "yeah, nah" etc. "Yeah, nah" means no. Literally it means "I understand you but I disagree/am answering negatively". The "Yeah" is politeness, deference. "Please don't hate me even though I'm about to disagree".

The same applies to the rising intonation at the end of statements. The same as a question, but not a question. The theory says it IS a question - it's like the person is asking, "do you accept my statement? Feel free to interject and disagree...."

Where it all falls down is that Californians do both these things.

While we do have our own special way of saying certain things here in CA, I can't really agree with your second statement about intonations. I don't hear widespread use of that rising end of statement usage here.

I know what you are saying and there are certain people that do do that. I get the feeling its a subset of a generation type of thing. Or maybe within certain wider spread communities related by online content in some way. Not sure but I don't feel like it's a Californian thing in the least.

The stuff in MABBY's post is completely true. I began using it without noticing some years ago in casual speech.

On the thread subject the most notable recent change in usage is for 'literally' of course which has now come to mean "there is something I want to emphasize that I want you to be surprised by".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

For Valley Girls, just add the word "Like" before each word on the left.

"Like, Fine", "Like, my friend", etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:

While we do have our own special way of saying certain things here in CA, I can't really agree with your second statement about intonations. I don't hear widespread use of that rising end of statement usage here.

I know what you are saying and there are certain people that do do that. I get the feeling its a subset of a generation type of thing. Or maybe within certain wider spread communities related by online content in some way. Not sure but I don't feel like it's a Californian thing in the least.

Should point out that not all Australians do it and I'm aware it's not all Californians by any stretch. Not sure about the online content part though because I'm pretty sure I remember hearing it, like 20 years ago. Anyway, my point was more that while the theory is one resting it's weird that it happens in another context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:
Should point out that not all Australians do it and I'm aware it's not all Californians by any stretch. Not sure about the online content part though because I'm pretty sure I remember hearing it, like 20 years ago. Anyway, my point was more that while the theory is one resting it's weird that it happens in another context.

Yeah nah, most of us do aye haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.