Subject: Which Tribes For Beginners' 1st Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be playing with same gaming noobs. Which would be the easiest to play and still fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On my first play with “noobs” I avoided race combinations that tend to starve the face up card market or that complicate final scoring. I decided not to use Skeletons, Elves, Halflings and Dwarves. I also didn’t use the Giants since they seem boring nor Orcs because they seem a bit confusing for first timers.

That left Trolls, Wingfolk, Wizards, Merfolk, Centaurs and Minotaurs. It worked pretty well. The game was a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find Wizards a bit market-starving, otherwise your line-up is identical to mine (Orcs aren't confusing! Orc Bingo? That's the best part of the game!)

In fact, I like that line-up so much we never bother with randomising. Our group wants the balance between area control and set collection to be as close as possible, so don't feature hand preserving powers like Elves, row-raiding powers like Wizards, set padding like Halflings and Dwarves.

Otherwise, Giants are just almost literally pointless. Skeletons are okay, and do actually help with the area control aspect I suppose but their power isn't as interesting as others - so why not let the game shine at its best?

Merefolk - awesome. I love how you can use their board as a backdoor into contested territories.

Wingfolk - gives you that extra flexibility in terms of where your band can go, meaning more of a battle on the map.

Trolls - Nobody likes ties, whether you are wearing them or suffering them in some stupid game. Like Merefolk, Trolls open up another avenue to the main board - you seem to be even with Dave on a particular region, and need a set of 6 to dominate. Or sneakily nab a troll token while he isn't paying attention and dick him with it when the scoring comes around.

Centaurs - ok, these guys kinda stem the supply line to the market but its a great feeling to play two sets on one turn.

Minotaurs - any leg up you can get with placing tokens is a must in my book.

Orcs - Who doesn't like Bingo? Also gives you a consolation when you have to play a weeny set of 1 or 2.

Anything with an extra board that throws an extra dimension into the game is a must, why include anything at the expense of these above? Is what I'd ask someone if they said something about Ethnos to me, like in the street or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.