7 Wonders» Forums » General

Subject: How long at 5p? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there! I have a lunch time gaming group and I am curious if we can get a game of this in under 40 minutes with 5 new players. Obviously not the first day we learn the game, but thereafter? I know the box says 30 minutes, just wasn't sure if that was for all player counts.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once everyone understands how to play, yes under 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Zugli wrote:
Once everyone understands how to play, yes under 30 minutes.
Yes, player count doesn't affect the length of the game much because all play is simultaneous.

How a similar game, but lighter, try Sushi Go!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Around 30 minutes if everyone knows the rule well. Similar for 6 and 7 players.

In fact, in my experience, more players = less time, because at lower count the game become more strategic (with less cards and cards will pass back to you) so players might spend more time planning ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally everyone needs to help out with setting up and tearing down, as that can take up a relatively good deal of time. In general, I recommend sorting the cards by player count, THEN by age. This way, you just grab EXACTLY what you need, and you're good to go. YOu may need to take shortcuts, like having the game ready to go when starting, and just throwing everything back in the box to sort when you get home instead doing it there.

For scoring, just have everyone count their own score, as opposed to going through each category. Use a calculator or spreadsheet to tally up score quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goldring
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Winter is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb

It usually takes my group exactly 45 mins to set it up, play, score, and tear it down, regardless of the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james howlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale might also be a good similar choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybirdman wrote:
I love Fairy Tale, but it only does 4 players I think?

Oh, maybe the new edition does 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
crazybirdman wrote:
I love Fairy Tale, but it only does 4 players I think?

Oh, maybe the new edition does 5?
new one does 5. AFAIK, aren'tall of the ones that only doo 4p no longer printed?

Also IIRC, 5p game involves using more advance cards ( in order to have enough for everyone). They add more complexity, but only relative to the game. That said, one con to the game is that it goes so quickly, teaching it feels like it takes as long as playing the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but Fairy Tale, like 7 Wonders, is one of those games it's nice to play 2 or 3 times at a sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the help. I played my first game with 4 new players and it clocked in just under an hour but I am sure that would come down with more experienced players, and no kids calling for water from the bedroom whistle

Also I am going to put Fairy Tale on list to check out. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.