DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Confrontations» Forums » Rules

Subject: enhanced strength rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Edwards
Canada
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Okay my son and I are having an argument on the Enhanced strength card. Please help us. First of all it is an assist card. Does this mean it can only be used on your team mate or can you use it yourself? Second what is it's power total? We are finding the text a little confusing.

I think it is a card that can only be played on a teammate and it adds +1 power.

He thinks you can also use it yourself be it is a +2 power when you play it yourself and +1 on a teammate.

I though assist cards only affect your team mate.

Thanks a head of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Renaud
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
your son is correctly interpreting the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Assist cards on your turn and get their effect. The Assist keyword gives the card an additional ability in that you can play it on your teammate's turn to give them the card's effect.

Your son is right. If you use the Assist, it's +1 Power. If you use it for yourself, you get +2 Power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russtifer wrote:
We are finding the text a little confusing.

You're not the only one. I get the same questions every time I teach the game: Exactly what does Enhanced Strength do? What is the total power, and can I play it on myself?

I get these questions from both experienced DC gamers and new folks. So a different wording might have been better.

The "Assist" section (p. 7) in the rules is missing one key statement: That assist cards can also be played on yourself. It doesn't actually say that anywhere - not in a 100% obvious manner, anyway. All it says is, "You may play this card during your teammate's turn. If you do, that player gains all benefits from the game text on this card."

You could argue that "you may" means that you have the ability to play it on yourself, but - given that this game is meant for a general and family audience - saying it outright would have been better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I will make this more clear in the 2nd printing, whenever that may be.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Your presence and support on BGG is greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Carpenter
msg tools
If they're allowed to be played on yourself why are they pretty useless in 1v1 or 1v1v1 matches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ccgod wrote:
If they're allowed to be played on yourself why are they pretty useless in 1v1 or 1v1v1 matches?

For the same cost, there might be better cards in the line-up. Not always, though.

Also, if the game comes down to points, Enhanced Strength cards are worth zero points.

But yeah, they're obviously not useless. They're worth +2 power, just like any Kick from a previous set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Carpenter
msg tools
wkover wrote:
Ccgod wrote:

For the same cost, there might be better cards in the line-up. Not always, though.

Also, if the game comes down to points, Enhanced Strength cards are worth zero points.

But yeah, they're obviously not useless. They're worth +2 power, just like any Kick from a previous set.

Yes but all assist can be played on your self I had a +2 and destroy a card in my discard which I never played on my self. In a 1v1 with as the rules read it gets put on my hero and it gets played my next turn it's not just the kicks it's all assist cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ccgod wrote:

"Assist" cards are NOT worthless.

in a 1v1,which I play A LOT of, you can leave one "Assist" on your super hero and then play it next turn.

You start with 6 cards with your next hand,, to me that's not useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Carpenter
msg tools
Ah so if you have more than 2 assist cards in your hand you can lay one on the hero and play the other? The rules mention the next turn but as it shows in previous posts the rules don't say you can use them on your self and in 1v1 or 1v1v1 the assist cards are removed from your deck before counting vp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ccgod wrote:
Ah so if you have more than 2 assist cards in your hand you can lay one on the hero and play the other? The rules mention the next turn but as it shows in previous posts the rules don't say you can use them on your self

If you have any number of Assist cards in you hand, you can choose one (or none) of them and place it on your Character for later.
You can always play Assist cards as normal cards, they may have different effects if not used as Assist.

Ccgod wrote:
and in 1v1 or 1v1v1 the assist cards are removed from your deck before counting vp

??
Where'd you get that from?
All cards in your deck count for VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ccgod wrote:
the rules don't say you can use them on your self

Pg. 5: "On your turn, you get to play the cards in your hand..."

Ccgod wrote:
and in 1v1 or 1v1v1 the assist cards are removed from your deck before counting vp

What?

Pg. 11: "If the game ends due to the Line-Up being unable to refill, Assist cards are returned to decks before counting VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Carpenter
msg tools
Scroll up dev already said assist cards make it seem that they can't be used to benefit your self and I miss read that part. I took as they got returned to the main deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nekobat wrote:
You can play Assist cards on your turn and get their effect. The Assist keyword gives the card an additional ability in that you can play it on your teammate's turn to give them the card's effect.

Your son is right. If you use the Assist, it's +1 Power. If you use it for yourself, you get +2 Power.

This seems perfectly clear to me that you can play assists as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.