Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been seeing this game on Chinese wholesale websites:

I LOVE the art on this one, and the big chunky cards, and would love to add it to the collection. It's obviously a werewolf-style game, but there are hundreds of those and I haven't been able to find any English-language write-ups. Since a lot of these websites sell only bootlegged copies of games (and this one seems mighty suspicious at around $5-$10), it's likely this isn't the legit version. Google reverse-image seems to think it might be a version of The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, but I looks through that page and didn't see this particular version.

Does anyone know if there's an official version of this game, and where I could buy it? English would be cool, but I really don't mind either way, since werewolf isn't language dependent and we've played loads of mafia/hidden-role games before.

more images:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
It says 狼人杀 官方限定版 on the box, which (according to google translate) says "Werewolf kill official limited edition". Being able to read some chinese characters, I can confirm about the "werewolf" and "limited edition" parts.

Can't help you more than that though, sorry. Searching for "狼人杀 官方限定版" on google gives quite a lot of results, but all in Chinese.

-- edit for supplement : according to some of the images that come up in the search, it seems to be a "2017 limited edition".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info! I was able to use that to find a little bit more into.

An official website: http://langrensha.com/, has the same art. It looks like a Chinese app version of the game. It seems to have some kind of tournament mode, which is intriguing and cool lol

I also found what looks like a crowdfunding campaign for the physical version. Unfortunately, I only know what google translate can tell me (not much, since most of the text is in images).

Still no way to buy it officially that I can see, though. I think I'll buy it from the wholesalers, if for no other reason than to get it documented on bgg.

Hopefully there are some other geeks here that might have more info?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
Jacqland wrote:
Hopefully there are some other geeks here that might have more info?

I can't help, but maybe the folks over in the China forum can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Just realise that all the Werewolf variants were once in the public domain. The root of all these games is a game called 'mafia' which was played with a common deck of cards. The base game had innocents and two mafia hitmen, who murder people at night. It originated in Russia, and from there spread over the world. Playing groups started adding more roles, and it was all in the public domain.

And at some point some guys thought: Wait a minute, I can make a quick buck with this. Take this game, change the theme, make role-specific cards - all the roles have been playtested at nauseum in the public domain, so that's fine - and profit!

So even if this Chinese game is a bootleg, it's a bootleg of a game that originated in the public domain anyway. I don't believe that there has been a lot of game design in developing those games. Graphic design and art maybe, but this game seems to use different art than the versions available in the West.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Just curious -- there's a Chinese character for "werewolf"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Yanyo
United States
Evansville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Well, two characters. "狼人" means werewolf, but the characters, taken individually, literally mean "wolf person".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
EYanyo wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Well, two characters. "狼人" means werewolf, but the characters, taken individually, literally mean "wolf person".

Not to be confused with "浪人(Ronin)", a samurai without a master. Although a werewolf ronin would be a cool premise for a comic book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

In Japanese, you pronounce that as Jinrou, and werewolf is fairly famous as the Jinrou Game. More than once, I’ve been explaining Resistance or some other traitor game to Japanese people, and they’ve gone ‘oh, like Jinrou Game!’
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.