Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shannon Trainor
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched the threads here and on the Facebook group concerning the Hydra Hunt scenario. Would the hydra move out of a space if it contained enemy units? If yes I think the scenario is too hard, because what could slow his movement besides the Spartan mighty throw and the hydra itself trying to use onslaught, both of which are lucky dice rolls. If no then maybe too easy? I started with my units deployed on the board per forum discussions on BGG. Thoughts

Also if you damage him so much that he can’t use onslaughts does he just behave like you rolled a 1/2/3 per his behavior rolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
Know your CRT's!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the key to cracking the Hydra Hunt was/is Atalanta and Amazon's on the bottom deployment, get them up on that rock as quick as possible (Remember official ruling being that you can climb at the end of a run for units with climb, which makes sense), and just pelt away at range as it lumbers by.

To be fair it felt a little cheap after I figured it out as I would just search the deck for Amazon/Atalanta cards to make sure they got their two attacks each turn while pretty much ignoring the other people.

Though last night, my wife had the Centaurs harry behind the Hydra with ranged, alternating between them, Amazons, and Atalanta. So I do think there are variations to be had. Just remember, like the Hydra in the story, you must damage it more than once each turn (Preferably each attack) to make any headway (Eh? Eh? Hydra Heads? I'll see myself out).

On the other side, I think the scenario is the perfect learning/teaching scenario as the rules are the least modified from the main VS game and it's an easier scenario as the Hydra fairly well just moves forward in a straight line, your units come back, and if you lose it's very easy to just reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
For me the key to cracking the Hydra Hunt was/is Atalanta and Amazon's on the bottom deployment, get them up on that rock as quick as possible (Remember official ruling being that you can climb at the end of a run for units with climb, which makes sense), and just pelt away at range as it lumbers by.

To be fair it felt a little cheap after I figured it out as I would just search the deck for Amazon/Atalanta cards to make sure they got their two attacks each turn while pretty much ignoring the other people.

Though last night, my wife had the Centaurs harry behind the Hydra with ranged, alternating between them, Amazons, and Atalanta. So I do think there are variations to be had. Just remember, like the Hydra in the story, you must damage it more than once each turn (Preferably each attack) to make any headway (Eh? Eh? Hydra Heads? I'll see myself out).

On the other side, I think the scenario is the perfect learning/teaching scenario as the rules are the least modified from the main VS game and it's an easier scenario as the Hydra fairly well just moves forward in a straight line, your units come back, and if you lose it's very easy to just reset.

There is no official ruling on the climb and run issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Why is this even a question? Rules page 13
"During their activation, a unit that is taking a complex action is treated as having no talents at all, and only permanent powers."

It seems very clear that units have no talents (including climb) when they Run (Complex action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya all,

i also have the question 'what i am doing wrong?', but from the Hydra's point of view.

After trying the 'getting started' scenario a few times, i tried the Hydra hunt several times, but the Hydra doesn't seem to have a chance. In most games the Hydra managed to get to the the village entrance, but there she either got down to 3 vitality or even got killed (one or two times).

Are there rules, which new players easily can miss or misunderstand?

To avoid spoiling the fun for other players, i used the spoiler for my tactics.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I pretty much placed all units in deployment zones (one unit per zone), which allowed them to have an impact on the scenario. I often use the manoeuvre to draw two cards by spending one Art of War card.

Top left - Hoplites (if activated, they walk southeast (into the right ruins zone) and are able to hit the Hydra with their range).
Top right - Atalanta (first activation walk and climb on the rock in the north. As soon as the Hydra is in range, she starts ranged attacks. When the Hydra is close enough, Atalanta uses her Huntress power)
Bottom left - Amazons (first activation walk and climb on the rock in the south and then ranged attacks as soon as the Hydra is in range)
Bottom middle - Spartans (first activation moves them north to protect the village entrance. Most of the times they manage to at least get one , sometimes even two attacks in, when the Hydra enters this spot.
Bottom right - Centaurs (first activation also moves them north to protect the village entrance. If possible, they attack the hydra or protect the Spartans using guard)

With this tactic, the Hydra doesn't seem to have a real chance (even with some bad rolls on my and some good rolls on the Hydra's side).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

The official ruling is that you cannot run and climb in same activation. Here's the FAQ:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1937664/mythic-battles-pant...

"Q: Can you run & climb?
Complex Action rules indicate not, but Climb rules mentions run explicitly. Talent description takes priority over core rules ?
A: You cannot run and climb : a unit that is taking a complex action is treated as having no talents at all."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.