GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,368 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Legendary box art printed the wrong way??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else notice this?

If I display the box so the cover faces out, and I spin it 180 degrees, the back image is upside down. I have to literally rotate the box if I wanted to admire the art on the back. This wouldn't be an issue except that there is art on the sides, so rotating the cover messes up the sides too.

Does this strike anyone else as...strange? I'm not sure how I feel about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
If they did it your way, anytime aomeone rotates it on a different axis it would be upside down for them.

They can only pick one way dude...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
If they did it your way, anytime aomeone rotates it on a different axis it would be upside down for them.

Sorry I don't quite get your logic.

The orientation, as the OP suggests, does seem odd to me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the box but I'm missing the point here;

Rotate the box 180 degrees horizontally or vertically?

The bit you think is upside down is the box base? Or is there printing on the inside of the box lid? If the former, why can't you just twist the box base a half turn and put the lid on that way around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I am understanding is that if you have the box sitting like this and you just spin it around on the table (without picking it up), the art on the back is upside down.

Notice how the art lines up between the top and bottom of the box on the sides. You can't simply flip the box lid 180 degrees to get the front and back oriented the same, because the art wouldn't match on the sides anymore.

To answer the OP's concern, yes this would bother me, because I'm one of those people that want my backs and fronts to both be oriented in the same direction. But I don't own the game, so I have nothing to worry about.

This is similar to the problem Jamey Stegmaier had when he printed corrected cards for Euphoria a few years ago. The card backs and fronts were rotated 180 degrees relative to how the original cards were. Which makes it a little obvious if you're holding the cards in your hand to read it that you have one of the corrected cards (the back is 180 degrees rotated from the original backs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just noticed the upside-down art on the bottom of the box. The reason you can't just rotate the lid or the base 180 degrees is because then the art on the sides won't match up. This is one of those boxes where the sides are split between the lid and the base,
Here's one of the sides with the lid lifted a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

And almost everything I can think of follows the rotate it left / right and the back is correct, as opposed to flipping it end over end (top / bottom) to see the back oriented correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm shallow--this would bother me as well, particularly in a product I consider mostly cosmetic in purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like a big oooops to me.

Doesn’t bother me though as a box owner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...I wonder if Jamey is aware of this. I don't expect him to redo it or anything. It just leaves me feeling kinda...somewhere between " shake "
and " soblue "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I saw a post by Jaime about why it is like that. If I can find it I will post the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
On a scale of things that could go wrong, this is honestly at, or very close to, the bottom of the list of things I would be concerned about. And I own the box. And I hadn't even noticed.

Not meant to be snarky at all, but does which axis you rotate the box on really make that much of a difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd check my box, but it's filled and heavy and I'm too lazy to pick it up and turn around.

So yeah. Outrage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
On a scale of things that could go wrong, this is honestly at, or very close to, the bottom of the list of things I would be concerned about. And I own the box. And I hadn't even noticed.

Not meant to be snarky at all, but does which axis you rotate the box on really make that much of a difference?

On some level, I completely recognize the cosmic significance of this is basically nil. But for some folks (myself included), it's at the very least slightly bothersome.

Imagine if a book cover (not a dust jack, but cover) had the back cover art - blurb and all - printed upside-down, or the back of a record cover, or the back label of hand sanitizer. The point is, it's strange because I think most people when handed something don't intuitively think to spin the object along its y axis to see what's on the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captds9e wrote:
I thought I saw a post by Jaime about why it is like that. If I can find it I will post the link.

I hadn't known about this. If you do find it, I'd appreciate it. Sounds interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.