Subject: A few thoughts on this wonderful game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I was a play tester on this thematic sequel to Days of Ire: Budapest 1956

Nights on Fire was developed by David Turzi (Anachrony, Kitchen Rush, Days of Ire: Budapest 1956) and Brian Train, (A Distant Plain, Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62). It is a hybrid Euro and war game and thus, might be considered a light war game or a medium war-themed Euro involving street fighting in Budapest. The Hungarian player plays a light block war game with area movement and the Russian side is more hand management-- so it’s a game with very asymmetrical roles; there’s nothing really to compare it to.

In the co-op mode, the Hungarian revolutionaries are playing a block war game against a well-designed AI opponent. (David is very good at creating well-designed AIs. Days of Ire has a surprisingly effective and highly praised co-op mode. And Kitchen Rush was designed at the outset to be a pure co-op)

The game will be playable solo or 2 player co-op, or 2 or 3 player competitive with each mode of play having a basic version and advanced version. The difficulty of each mode can be customized. In the competitive mode, if one player is familiar with the game and playing a new player, you can even adjust the game balance between the two so the better player doesn’t have an inherent advantage.

What makes this game interesting is that it tries to follow the history of how it actually happened. In every game, the Soviets are always going to take Budapest because that was the historical outcome. So what’s important for the Hungarians is how long can they hold out and how many civilians can they save and how can they best harass, delay and demoralize the Soviets? For the Hungarian boys and girls of Budapest, this is simply a war of survival.

In the historical outcome, the Soviets won but the Hungarians won the moral victory and the sympathy of the world. In the game, you are trying to reach that grand revolutionary moral victory, while your opponent, or the AI bot is trying to crush you and turn it into a prestigious grand Soviet Victory. This game brings this tension of real history to life.

I have seen photos of the prototype components. Really cool cards and game pieces, with big, blocky, easy-to-read text on cards. All icons are clear and intuitive. All components appear top notch—thick punch board that doesn’t bend, linen finish cards (I think), thick chunky wooden blocks, bright colors. The art is the same very cool 1950s vibe art style as in Days of Ire (same artists).

David and Brian created a very cool hybrid euro/block war game, wonderfully designed, with what looks like real quality components. Kickstarter is coming very soon and I am very excited for it. The first game, Days of Ire, will be reprinted (as it is currently sold out) and will also be available during the kickstarter. And there are rumors that there may be a campaign option (probably as a stretch goal) between the two games where you can carry forward your surviving Hungarian fighters from Days of Ire into Nights of Fire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting your thoughts on Nights of Fire.

I've had my eye on this for a while and now I'm looking forward to it even more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been playing Days of Ire and it is fantastically fun. Love the History lesson you get while playing. Helps with the immersion and respect for some of the dramatic, sad days of the long Cold War which engulfed much of the world not too long ago.

Looking forward toward the Kickstarter. The A.I. created for 'Days' always keeps you scrambling, and I expect 'Nights' will do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your work on this Wesley!
David and I are quite pleased with this design.
Personally, as a wargame designer, I learned a lot about different techniques and mechanics from David, who is primarily a Euro designer but speaks Wargame dialect.
It was great to work with him, and I think people will be pleased with it.

Kickstarter should be "go" shortly (not sure exactly when) and we are preparing all kinds of interesting stretch goals for it.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Thank you for your work on this Wesley!
David and I are quite pleased with this design.
Personally, as a wargame designer, I learned a lot about different techniques and mechanics from David, who is primarily a Euro designer but speaks Wargame dialect.
It was great to work with him, and I think people will be pleased with it.

Kickstarter should be "go" shortly (not sure exactly when) and we are preparing all kinds of interesting stretch goals for it.

Brian

can you post here when the ks campaign will start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Massimiliamo, I forgot to post here.... blush
We ended the campaign with nearly $88,000 pledged so there should be copies enough for everyone.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.