Subject: Here I Stood 16 plays and still loving the experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oguzhan Ozturk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I have a special place in my heart for Here I Stand. It was the first game I purchased that was produced by GMT and it was the first war game I had ever gotten on my table aside from Risk and Axis and Allies. Since the first time I set it up, I've been hooked! My experience was with the second edition that I was lucky enough to find on eBay for a very good price.

I have now played this game 16 times with a full compliment of six players. It is a fantastic CDG that holds our interest and keeps us constantly entertained as we try to come up with new strategies.

The rules are well written and concise, simple to grasp, with plenty of examples of play in the scenario book. Being a novice at the time I was at first intimidated by the sheer size of the rulebook. Reading through it and summarizing it for the other players in my group, I found it to be easy to understand and simple to keep track of all the dice roll modifiers. Even explaining it to new players was done under twenty minutes.

I've read a lot of posts over the years on BGG about the luck factor in this game. There is luck in the game for sure, but it doesn't really impact the strategy or diminish the flavour, IMO. I found that planning ahead and taking chances often pays off more than it hinders.

The cards are fantastic! I love the events and the ability you have to mess with the other players. Even more so now with the new edition and the modified/additional cards. There is plenty of diplomacy, negotiating and backstabbing to be had. Alliances may serve your needs in the moment, but betrayal is always around the corner. My group and I can usually polish a game off in six hours with a definitive winner.

This is an excellent game! The component quality is top notch, the map is beautiful and gives off a historic feel. It's rich, textured and layered with nuance. If you're looking for a CDG that gives you the breadth and scope and captures the historic experience of the reformation, I strongly recommend you get a copy of this game before it goes out of print again. It is my favorite game and its sequel Virgin Queen is by far my second favorite.

All the best my fellow hobbyists!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oguzhan,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this game. I am thinking of introducing this game to my 7th-grade class for history. I remember a few years back seeing a "Player's guide" of some sort that you could read to get the best "insight" to playing each faction. Do you know where such a guide can be found?

This sort of guide would be helpful for my students.

With thanks!

Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oguzhan Ozturk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Hi Will,

There is a PDF on BGG called Here I stand in 20 minutes. It gives you a quick overview of the rules. But isn't very detailed about each of the factions. I've never seen the players guide so I'm not sure where to find it.

I have a summery of the rules condensed to 12 pages with some insight for my group of players. I created it myself to help my friends and I learn the game. I could send it to you if you want? Just send me your email.

It's a fantastic game! Especially, with the event cards they add a lot of historic flavour. I think your class will love it.

Sincerely,

Oguzhan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Oguzhan,

Thank you for the overview reference, I'll check it out. Also, your condensed rules sounds quite helpful. I would appreciate having a copy. My email is:

Wgwgreen@yahoo.com

With thanks!

Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing. I received the game as a Christmas Present and look to get it on the table next month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oguzhan Ozturk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oguzhan Ozturk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I just played my 17th game as the Papacy! It was a very challenging game. I never realized what an uphill battle the Pope has. So many enemies and the 19 point lead in the campaign game doesn't mitigate the difficulties that faces the Papacy.

Suffice to say I lost with style! I gave it a good run but I need a better strategy if I ever play the Pope again. Does anyone have any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This little dude is "Shadax", the protagonist from the NES game Solstice.
mbmbmbmbmb
parrius wrote:

Suffice to say I lost with style! I gave it a good run but I need a better strategy if I ever play the Pope again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

- Take Florence early.
- Threaten Francis out of Italy with excommunication. Or bribe him.
- Push Habsburg into fighting others (France, England, ottoman) on the borders of Germany.
- don't neglect counter-reformation even though it feels futile at first.
- use your debater bonuses early and try to burn carlstadt or tyndale at the stake.
- make sure to get 5 VP out of St Peter's.
- Try to get someone to declare war on Venice so you can get it by intervening.
- Don't give Henry a divorce for free. Get at least a card draw and 2 mercs, but you should start higher. Let him haggle.
- If you're lucky you might be able to get a VP or two for Master of Italy.

That's about it. It's never gonna be easy. But my first game of HIS we were all newbies and the Papacy did the above and won at the end of turn 4.

Can't wait to try again and get to try to be the Pope myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.