Matt West
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
How I desire the touch of Nothingness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Psycho Raiders this past weekend (at a cabin with no electricity in the woods, no less) with a friend of mine who generally hates asymmetrical games. We played the Full Game deathmatch style, not escape style.

The Psychos won, and my friend (who was a camper) went on a little bit of a rant at the end about how the game is stacked nearly impossibly against the campers. From a pure numbers perspective, they are outnumbered, outgunned, weaker in stats, disincentivized to alert townspeople due to the sinister threat, etc. And they don't even get a head start!

I tried selling him on the idea that the game is meant to be stacked against the campers and them winning should be rare and lucky, and the experience of trying and failing is most of the fun, but he wasn't having it.

As this was my first non-solo time playing the full game (my group always seemed to have new people in it so we would default to the short game), I didn't have any examples of camper wins to show him that it's possible.

So tell me, have your campers ever pulled it out in a Full Game? How did they do it? Any go-to strats that give them a leg up on the Raiders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a few games when the Campers have turned the tables, even Deathmatch games. A basic game of "escape" is indeed easier.

In a Deathmatch it takes getting more on the Camper side, weapons and Townfolk. Ff weapons are dropped picking up those dropped. Search. In actuality the Raiders are not a lot stronger than campers if they lose their weapons.

The more other Townsfolk enter into the game the harder it will be for the Raiders in a Deathmatch.

I remember a game when Randy and Ginger jumped into the Van with just Beau in it. They double teamed Beau, eventually killing him, they scored his weapons and owned the Van.

I also remember a Sheriff and Fluke match that killed Fluke (the strongest of the Raiders) which was a major blow and they began to soon die off.

I also really like the +6 gun shot Advanced rule. If you roll a 6 you get the total + and addition +6. A kind of Bullseye rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, hasn't happened to us, though we've gotten only a couple hexes shy of the edge of the map as the campers. Both sides had a blast even thinking it was near impossible for the campers. My favorite thing was opening the players eyes to the fact that games could be (intentionally) imbalanced and still be great. For that alone its been priceless.

I wonder what your friend's reaction would have been like as a Raider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
How I desire the touch of Nothingness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magicbus1966 wrote:
Haha, hasn't happened to us, though we've gotten only a couple hexes shy of the edge of the map as the campers. Both sides had a blast even thinking it was near impossible for the campers. My favorite thing was opening the players eyes to the fact that games could be (intentionally) imbalanced and still be great. For that alone its been priceless.

I wonder what your friend's reaction would have been like as a Raider.

We've won the short game as campers a few times, one time with an insane gravedigger shovel kill on a raider basically at the last moment and last hex available to allow a hidden Dawn to escape.

As for my friend, I think he's objective enough to notice the imbalance even from the winning side. He's a well-reasoned guy and his beef was not with losing, per se, but with feeling like winning would have been impossible for one side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the campers did not win but we had a blast!

We used the fan expansion that can be had in the files section. My character ended up having TWO child tag alongs. We made it to the road to the police station from the gas station. To help the others, the three of us stood in the middle of the road as the van was barrelling at us, lights shining on us.

We were waiting for the rapture with arms raised, hand in hand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once and the campers won. It was the standard escape of the top of the map rules though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also haven't played deathmatch-style -- come on, if you were being hunted by a pack of psychotic predators, would you stick around to try and settle the score? -- but in multiplayer play so far I've seen one solid camper win and a near-escape.

In the winning game, Randy managed to make it all the way to the farmhouse before the raiders (and the sinister farmer) caught up with him -- melees around the gas station and police department had kept the raiders busy. Beau used his once-per-game ability to spoil the escape, popping out of the bushes to ambush him, but Randy managed to use some of the camper's once-per-games to counter the attack and escape with minor wounds. At game's end, Ginger was still alive, having been locked in a titanic struggle with Spud, who on more than one occasion managed to draw an ineffective kill card. On the next-to-last turn, Spud actually managed to drop his machete in a botched attack, and Ginger not only scooped it up but started sprinting for the police department -- it wasn't enough to survive, she apparently wanted to gather evidence!

In the near-win, Dawn had managed to evade her pursuers in a dense fog -- only to have it turn to rain at a very inopportune moment! Instead of slipping away in the murk, she found herself running for her life while Spud and Torch harried her with machetes. They managed to herd her into the road where she ended up fatally bounced off the hood of the van. A few more turns of the weather staying foggy and she almost certainly would have made it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.