Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think the best 2-hero and 4-hero parties are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
"Yeah, yeah...I know...y-you're Bane. But you...I think you...forgot...
badge
...I'm Batman!"
mbmbmbmbmb
My fave is Biv, HHD-19, Vinto, and Elso.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Trytiak
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
App is too easy even Hard mode so don't bother to find "the best party". You can beat it with any party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
"Yeah, yeah...I know...y-you're Bane. But you...I think you...forgot...
badge
...I'm Batman!"
mbmbmbmbmb
ArtyomTrityak wrote:
App is too easy even Hard mode so don't bother to find "the best party". You can beat it with any party.

I was killing it until
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Vader showed up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArtyomTrityak wrote:

And yet, I asked the question! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArtyomTrityak wrote:

The question can be asked out of interest alone, which I believe the OP did. There's no need to assume they are asking so they can use the party, more likely to promote a discussion about it and why some heroes may or may not be stronger than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing as Jarrod Kelvin, who has been a lot of fun. He has been unstoppable since I bought the lvl 1 skill Balanced Approach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for:

Gideon Argus
Fenn Signis
Verena Talos
Diala Passil

Hero ratings from polls (on this forum): https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1895040/comparison-review-1...

Gideon Argus 8.6, Fenn Signis 8.4, Diala Passil 8.0, Verena Talos 7.8
Vinto Hreeda 7.6, Shyla Varad 7.5, Gaarkhan 7.3, Murne Rin 7.2
Davith Elso 6.9, Mak Eshka'rey 6.9, Jyn Odan 6.9, MHD-19 6.9
Loku Kanoloa 6.8, Drokkatta 6.6, Onar Koma 6.5, Ko-Tun Feralo 6.5
Jarrod Kelvin 6.5, Biv Bodhrik 5.1, Saska Teft 5.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thorn

Middletown
New York
msg tools
I played through with Fenn and Ghaarkan and mostly steamrolled through on normal. Only one hero got wounded, and that only happened once.

I'm in the middle of playing a second time with my daughter playing as Diala and Jyn. It's noticeably harder with those 2 so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Hardenbrook
United States
Kansas City
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are currently playing through with the following party-
Fenn
Gideon
Diala
MHD-19

Pretty good so far. We just finished 3rd mission. Gideon is the only character to be wounded so far and that was really luck of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I just finished the campaign with girl power - Diala, Verna, Saska & Jyn.
It was a peace of cake.

I think in the current campaign, you basically just want to blast things as much as you can with possibly a decent tank.

A non attacking hero would save you a lot of money and let you focus more on creating one particular massive killing machine.

And you want one single target killer alongside multiple target killer.

Teowulff wrote:
I'd go for:

Gideon Argus
Fenn Signis
Verena Talos
Diala Passil

Pretty close to my list.
I'd just replace Verena for Gaarkhan.

Teowulff wrote:

Well, some heroes would probably be better\worst in the app.
Between some rules changing and the fact that you can't double on the same XP rank (i.e take 2 3xp ability) the builds would be different.

Maybe it's worth going for another poll specifically for the app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, you can take two 3 XP cards if you don't take an 4 XP card.

The cases for that are very few though. You may want to take an extra 1XP or 2XP card instead of 3XP in some cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
a1bert wrote:
Btw, you can take two 3 XP cards if you don't take an 4 XP card.

The cases for that are very few though. You may want to take an extra 1XP or 2XP card instead of 3XP in some cases.

Didn't realize that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be a piece of cake if you're playing on normal difficulty and have experience with the base game. Normal was set up for players starting with LotA rather than the base game. Hard difficulty is more balanced for veteran players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
It should be a piece of cake if you're playing on normal difficulty and have experience with the base game. Normal was set up for players starting with LotA rather than the base game. Hard difficulty is more balanced for veteran players.

I'm playing Hard now with a second group.

Gideon, Fenn, MHD and Gaarkhan.

Other than the first mission? It seems almost easier. I honestly don't feel the difference between Hard and Normal. The easier part comes from obviously knowing what's going to happen and be better prepered.

And... that the team is highly optimized (though not by design, I just split the remaining heroes I have for 2 equally roled teams and flipped a coin for each)

I'm doing 1 mission a day and tonight is the fourth one. So there's only 1 left after that, I think.

I really felt a lot more pressure in Descent than in IA on the hard setting of the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Okay... Definitly changing my mind here.

I did finish the campaign with that four and it was really easy.
But then I decided to do one final run with 4 out of last 5 heroes I got.

I picked Davith, Murne, Biv and Mak. (Loku will have to wait).
I was absolutely crushed in the first mission.

Wow these guys are so bad it's unbelivable. Sure, some will grow stronger later on, but for the start? They barely have any damage bonuses and it seems that small area effects are far better than single targets.

And Davith is probably the worst hero in the app. Almost all of his abilities are useless in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Okay... Definitly changing my mind here.

I did finish the campaign with that four and it was really easy.
But then I decided to do one final run with 4 out of last 5 heroes I got.

I picked Davith, Murne, Biv and Mak. (Loku will have to wait).
I was absolutely crushed in the first mission.

Wow these guys are so bad it's unbelivable. Sure, some will grow stronger later on, but for the start? They barely have any damage bonuses and it seems that small area effects are far better than single targets.

And Davith is probably the worst hero in the app. Almost all of his abilities are useless in it.

How are Davith’s abilities any different in the app than in a regular campaign? All of his abilities are related to making melee attacks or becoming hidden. I don’t see how his abilities are “useless in it”.

Out of your characters, yeah, Biv is pretty bad, but he can be useful depending upon what weapons you give him. Don’t expect Murne to be doing any damage from her attacks. Her benefit lies in False Orders, although I have heard people using her for objective running. Davith isn’t too great, but I love his strain move ability and the Shrouded Lightsaber is cool (so are his 4 drops). As for Mak, he is a top ranked character. He is a little soft to start, but he will pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I am working through my second LotA solo campaign. My first campaign, I used Davith and Diala. I liked the idea of the two Jedi characters teamed up. They were fun, but I wound up losing the campaign. I found two characters to be particularly tough for the “protection missions”, such as the first one on Ord Mantell. Even though I lost, I felt that both Jedi perishing on the last mission was fitting.

This time I am trying out 3 characters (this time all of the enemies and allies have been added, yay!). I’m running Gaarkhan, Onar Koma, and Jyn Odan. Onar and Jyn are the weak links so far, but I just picked up the Disruptor Pistol for Jyn and am ready for her to work her magic.

So far, having 3 characters feels much more balanced than 2. Then again, I was probably at a severe disadvantage in the first run through using only melee characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
FunkyFantom wrote:
[
How are Davith’s abilities any different in the app than in a regular campaign? All of his abilities are related to making melee attacks or becoming hidden. I don’t see how his abilities are “useless in it”.

Hidden is virtually useless in the app. Because enemy characters get to move a lot more than they do in the real life campaign, the extra range to hit isn't worth it.

And using a surge to get a surge isn't that big of a deal either.

In Non-App games, Davith also has impressive Speed and can run around freely. That's important when you need to beat the clock.
But that doesn't exist much in the app. The maps are pretty small.

I never had problems with Diala, even without her skill that boosts it.

So again, Davith's advantages aren't that big of a deal.

FunkyFantom wrote:

Out of your characters, yeah, Biv is pretty bad, but he can be useful depending upon what weapons you give him.

Overall, I did win the campaign. I actually sacked Davith and brought Loku instead.

Biv was decent enough. He can dish out large amounts of damage against single target bosses which is usually enough or take out medium threat units like royal guards.

His main problem is, it took him awhile to get there. He also shredded thigns once I got him the 2 red die gun. (Or is that a gun and an upgrade? I forgot)

FunkyFantom wrote:

Don’t expect Murne to be doing any damage from her attacks. Her benefit lies in False Orders, although I have heard people using her for objective running.

Which is what I used her for. She's a support character taking out strain from units and giving extra attacks. Not as good as Gideon, but good enough. Most of the time she barely attacked.

Her problem, like Biv, is that until she gets more skills, she isn't very useful.

FunkyFantom wrote:
He is a little soft to start, but he will pick up.

So is Loku. That's why I said this group was problematic.

They are decent but rely heavily on getting better equipment and skills.

This is unlike the 2 other groups I played with, which had significant power right from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Golton
United States
East Bay
California
flag msg tools
We are mostly through the first campaign with Gideon, Diala, and Drokkatta (yes - this is three person not 2 or 4, but you'll see I focus on just 2 of them). Prior to this we only played Skirmish so I don't really have the context to know how much better/worse other combos are, but . . .

The Gideon/Drokkatta combo seems crazy good because:

1) Imperials often come onto the board in tight clusters of many figures, and repositioning instructions tends to keep them clustered as well. Drokkatta alone already is good at dealing damage to most of them simultaneously. And the higher starting health total helps as he is usually more exposed as he tries to get LOS to the spot that will get the most imperials simultaneously.

2) Gideon gets Drokkatta to go again. On turns when Gideon or Drokkatta gets to go twice (because we're 3 players), Drokkatta absolutely decimates large numbers of figures - again thanks to demolish, blast, (and for consistency, dispersal shot).

3) Gideon does not attack much himself so we don't load him with weapons or mods - Drokkatta gets the bulk of great mods and our supplies - whatever enhances his ability to deal damage to many figures simultaneously. In other words, being able to concentrate most of the items on one character means we can buy better, more costly, items.

4) Gideon's XP1 ability, called shot, helps get Drokkatta with consistency of getting blast when needed.

5) The only problem with Drokkatta is limited range and poor accuracy, which resulted in some missed shots for us during first mission. But there are plenty of mods and accessories that can help with that. We were lucky enough to get Disruption Cell after the first mission, which not only caused Drokkatta to start hitting every time, but also increased damage totals.

6) After mission 3, in comes the XP3 Repeater Cannon, which ramps up the Drokkatta devastation to a new level.

The combination of these two characters for us has been so strong that it makes me wonder if we're doing something wrong with the rules. Sometimes a swarm of imperial figures comes on the board and, if they're within LOS of Drokkatta where they enter the board, only 1 or 2 groups will get off a shot before they're all dead.

To some extent, I think Drokkatta takes advantage of the somewhat inflexible nature of the AI in how it deploys and repositions imperial figures. A human (or a much smarter AI) would quickly learn to spread out in response to Drokkatta's tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.