Hide
12 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Synergies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Tardi
msg tools
Hey everyone. I was looking to buy 2 expansions when they restock the kingdom death shop but ive done tons of research and i cant find a good answer to which 2 expansions are good for someone starting off with nothing but the base game thus far that have a good synergy together or are just plain fun. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for Gorm to have another early game Quarry with good gear besides the Lion. After that pick any 1 Expansion with an alternate campaign: (Flower Knight), Dragon King - would be my choice, Sunstalker
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeffington wrote:
I would go for Gorm to have another early game Quarry with good gear besides the Lion. After that pick any 1 Expansion with an alternate campaign: (Flower Knight), Dragon King - would be my choice, Sunstalker
ninja
This matches everything that I have read...and why most of them are in my KS order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Christinsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
What Simon said is great advice. Especially the Gorm patches up some of the lacking gear in the core game.

Having access to an alternate campaign is also nice. So Dragon King or Sunstalker would be my recommendation with the note that the gear from the Sunstalker as a general quarry is far superior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you can´t be wrong with any of the expansions (maybe with the exception of the Lonely Tree).
I only had the chance to try the Lion God and Slenderman.
Both are expansions that people only recommend if you have everything else.
You know what, both of them are great and provide useful gear for the core game.
The Lion God even had the most exciting fight of all the monsters I tried.
That said, if most of the people recommend Gorm, Dragon King, Sunstalker, Flower Knight and Dung Beetle Knight, there has to be a reason for it.
If I had the choice, I would go for the Sunstalker instead of the Dragon King, because people say that he has better gear and a better fight (Dragon King has the better campaign).
He is also cheaper than the Dragon King, which means that you could also buy the Dung Beetle Knight for the same amount of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the DK quarry showdown to be harder than the SS quarry showdown.
Anyway, they are at least comparable. DK showdown is lots of fun, but SS showdown is fun too, so it's just a matter of what you like (I prefer DK quarry myself... too bad the gear is sub-optimal).

Fen observed multiple times that, ironically, DK quarry gear is the best addition to a Sunstalker campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Anyway, they are at least comparable. DK showdown is lots of fun, but SS showdown is fun too, so it's just a matter of what you like (I prefer DK quarry myself... too bad the gear is sub-optimal).

Fen observed multiple times that, ironically, DK quarry gear is the best addition to a Sunstalker campaign

Only if you don´t hunt Sunstalkers in the Sunstalker campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any particular reason you are limiting yourself to 2 expansions rather than a price range? The offerings do vary a bit (with more $$$ typically equating to more content).

Can't disagree with anything posted so far, though I have only read about the expansions since I was a 1.5 KS backer.

One thing to factor in is just how much you'll be seeing a particular expansion's contents. Something that only appears late-game or conditionally won't provide as much bang as something that appears early and/or regularly, like the Gorm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
Sweden
flag msg tools
Stop Poking!
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:

And inversely SS is great in a Dragon King Campaign!

The expansions I think you would get the most benefit from are:

Gorm

and then one of the following:

Slenderman, Sunstalker, Dung Beetle Knight or Dragon King.

The later game really runs out of options when you just have core game only, you end up grinding lots and lots of antelopes and lions. SS/DBK/DK give you that extra late game quarry and increase the range of gear you can make.

Slenderman is a special case because he removes the King's Man by replacing it - but he's a more interesting nemesis monster with craftable gear. He doesn't make the game easier, just adds more options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Tardi
msg tools
japester1 wrote:
Any particular reason you are limiting yourself to 2 expansions rather than a price range? The offerings do vary a bit (with more $$$ typically equating to more content).

Can't disagree with anything posted so far, though I have only read about the expansions since I was a 1.5 KS backer.

One thing to factor in is just how much you'll be seeing a particular expansion's contents. Something that only appears late-game or conditionally won't provide as much bang as something that appears early and/or regularly, like the Gorm.

No particular reason. I looked at the prices and i got some cash for christmas im willing to spend and i think 2 expansions would be a good amount wothout overwhelming myself!

Thanks everyone for your opinions! At this point ill mpst likely get gorm just not sure on the second one yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think Manuhunter + Gorm + Core make for a very good campaign.
I recommend it a lot.
Manhunter brings a little extra pressure but gives great rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For small expansions, I quite like the Manhunter, Slenderman, Flower Knight (despite lack of balance). For larger expansions, the Dragon campaign is probably my favorite thing in KD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.