Subject: Not recommended to be used (like all promos) ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up a copy of Night Prowler, but I recall that Dominic has said that he advises against using any promo cards as they have not been properly tested and may unbalance the game.

I guess "use sparingly, with caution" ?

(also since it has climate icons, the trait that you remove should also have climate icons I presume?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't advice AGAINST using them. They can be a lot of fun. What I mean to say is they they have not been tested to the same degree. Also, we test a set of cards together. Changing 1 card in the set changes the balance of the entire set - usually not by much, but sometimes by more than you'd think. Changing out 3 cards can have a huge impact on the environment.

There have been several thousands playtest games of Evolution that led to the current card sets. The promo cards have been tested between 0 and 25 times each and not necessarily with the set of cards that you're playing with. So don't expect the same type of polish when you use those cards. Some of them ARE very well balanced and do not lead to weird exceptions but others are less tested and more experimental.

Night Prowler is a strong card and will make the environment more Carnivore friendly. You don't need to trade it out for a card with climate icons. I like having more cards with climate icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hey

Just to confirm - when you say "1 card in a set" you mean "one type of card in a particular boxed game" yes? Like not literally 1 card. I think you'd still advise to swap in all 7 of a particular card, and take all 7 of another card out.

I also recall that somewhere you wrote that one should try to swap like-for like? Eg both are defensive or both are aggressive?

Regarding the Climate icons, isn't there some kind of balance at the moment with the number of cards having Climate icons?

Thanks for your advice on this specific card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I meant 7 cards for the same trait.

I’d swap like for like if you want to keep the same environment where you’d expect about 1 species out of 4 to be a Carnivore. If you remove defensive traits then Carnivores will probably be more prevelant. But it’s fun to mess with the environment sometimes to see what happens.

I don’t think having fewer icons makes the game better. CLIMATE was originally designed as an expansion which meant none of the base cards had icons whether we wanted them to have icons or not. We decided to make changes to 3 traits which helped increase the icon count and then we reprinted the Carnivores to help even more. I’d be happy if more of the cards had icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My second problem with the promos, is that there are none of the traits I hate or want to swap out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil De Leo
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see that this promo is not part of the promo packs with the Oceans kickstarter. Was that choice deliberate? Will there be other ways to acquire this promo besides eBay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a tournament price, thats probably why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.