Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Plasma rifle (general ranged weapon) and fireback damages question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Rocheleau
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, sorry for my english. I searched the forum about this and found nothing.

So, when you fight, you receive damage equal to the number of hits on the dices multiplied by the ennemy level to represent the damages the ennemy does. BUT when you do a range attack, it can't technically attack you back (it would if it has a range weapon too), so I do not take damage from the hits, no? It would be logical because ennemies with range attack add a hit to their attack, so I should get a advantage too if I attack with my range weapon, no?

From another point of view, I could get some damages because I hurt myself using the weapon, but 3x because I'm shooting a supermutant from a freaking mountain seems too much.

Anyways, I ran two games receiving damages normally (accepting the "x" effect even in range attacks).

Thank you, and sorry again for my english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sibo
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Your written English is fine.

Yes you are playing it correctly, remembering that armour reduces the die pips before the multiplication from the level of the enemies is applied.

Your query is based more on whether, thematically, do you take damage when firing ranged (sniper rifle, laser etc)

If you play the computer game you will realise that as soon as you fire on the enemies they then close on you to deal damage. So whilst you get the free hit from the laser, the Super Mutant still closes and melee combats you for die pips x 3 (level of mutant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sibowitz wrote:
Your written English is fine.

Yes you are playing it correctly, remembering that armour reduces the die pips before the multiplication from the level of the enemies is applied.

Your query is based more on whether, thematically, do you take damage when firing ranged (sniper rifle, laser etc)

If you play the computer game you will realise that as soon as you fire on the enemies they then close on you to deal damage. So whilst you get the free hit from the laser, the Super Mutant still closes and melee combats you for die pips x 3 (level of mutant).

+1 on everything.

It is worthy to note that, in the reverse situation, you don’t need a ranged weapon (or any equipped weapons at all) to fight back an opponent shooting at you from a space away.

I tell myself that everyone has default ranged attacks (or are quick to close on you, as stated by Colin), but they are so basic that they don’t count in your inventory or help against more powerful guns.

In a PnP RPG or in a heavier boardgame, you would play those situations differently and with more fiddliness, but this game uses streamlined combat rules for a better flow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Rocheleau
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you!

At least, I was playing the right way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raine O'Shae
msg tools
mb
Ranged attacks give you or the enemy +1 hit if the defender does not have a ranged weapon. Hoever dice rolls and damage still occur. You can kill a ranged attacker if they attack you and vise versa. Unless Im missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules also state that bonus hit applies when ranged attacker is in adjacent space

Quote:
Weapons with the ranged R icon allow a survivor who
has that weapon equipped to fight enemies in adjacent spaces
when performing the fight action. If that enemy does not also
have the R icon, the survivor inflicts one additional hit.

Quote:
When this enemy activates, if there is a
survivor in an adjacent space, this enemy fights that survivor
instead of moving. If a survivor in an adjacent space does not
have a R weapon, the enemy inflicts one additional hit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Rocheleau
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
That's it! I was searching for that info. Where was it in the rule book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.