Subject: Why does everyone hate storm? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob P.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a lot of people say that storm is a terrible expansion. I don't understand: I thought that space stations were fun and added another layer of strategy when attacking. I also think that it's aliens were more fun than the ones from conflict, which gave us stuff like changeling. Can someone explain to me why so many people think storm is the worst expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the answers you are looking for are here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1028338/review-25-cosmic-st...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's mostly that people dislike the aliens, they're blandish and often copies of already existing ones. Also, the Stations are very marmity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never bought it and currently don't intend to. I played with space stations - the variant itself is neat but there are only 10 stations and several of them are very weak. IMO quite a wasted opportunity and probably the weakest variant (maybe special ships from dominion is weaker but it takes a lot less space and is meant to be more of a "make your own" thing). As others said (in the link Ben gave) many aliens are too weak, derivative, or in one case annoyingly strong (Brute - probably the only alien non-beginners called OP). Some aliens are good, even great (I'm even on the camp that likes swindler) but there are more duds than in any other set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess it's a matter of taste and diminishing returns. Obviously the 'best' aliens and better ideas have slowly been used up as each expansion has passed - like a good TV show, ideas are going to start repeating or the writers will be forced to 'jump the shark'.

Storm falls in the rehash bracket - it seems to bother people that a lot of the powers seem to tread on the toes of older powers, that many aliens are doing the same thing as previous aliens or are some combo of old ideas. Personally, I prefer Storm to some other expansions because while some ideas may repeat - the powers themselves are very playable, elegant and fun. Okay it would be great if we could have a box of 200 entirely unique alien powers but at the end of the day, if a few overlap does it really matter that much - no game is going to feature all 200 powers!

'Jumping the shark' is a bigger issue in my mind. While I still enjoy a lot of what later expansions have had to offer, in the quest for uniqueness Dominion alien powers are so convoluted and clunky that there are few I would actually want to play, even less that I would want to explain to others - sometimes I can barely see what they lend to the game in terms of strategy.

So while Storm gets a bit of a kicking for it's alien powers, I rank it higher than Eons or Dominion. That said, Dominion does come with the expanded rewards deck which has some nifty stuff in it, while I don't think I'd use any of the extras found in Storm.

But hey, if you like Cosmic I think you will end up buying every expansion anyway - even if you only like 6-7 of the 20+ alien powers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, it's a matter of bang for the buck. While most of the expansions have at least 80% decent content, Storm has about 25% decent content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.