4 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Variants

Subject: Cooperative Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being that the game isn't too competitive, and you can even win together. Has anyone tried a cooperative variant, and if so what did you adjust? Off the top of my head I would say these rules:

Must score double the amount of required victory points but between the players (example 20 in a two player) or each character must win at the same time or you lose. Perhaps adding in all of the influence cards even into a <4 player game.

Allow other players in the same space as an activating player to grant one extra hit when attempting a test or fight to and rewards are split between them (exp, caps, cards)

And when a character dies they could respawn next to their ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Corlett
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
I brought this without thinking it through
badge
I don't have to explain my art to you
mbmbmbmbmb
I think just what you described would work as a quick and dirty hack. Just make the group target the combined total of whatever the individual targets would be - the difficulty of getting all players to their goals should be offset by the ability of players to work together.

Long term the issue will be that the game's progression is mostly triggered by players pushing faction goals. That means that experienced players will just not trigger faction goals until they have the agendas ready.
You'd need something to accelerate the game-clock. The best option could be having everyone as 'freedom' supporters at the start, then progressing the 'security' track whenever anyone draws a 'security' agenda... but that would require crunching some numbers likelyhood of drawing a security agenda vs number of rounds required to realistically collect X opposing agendas... and I'm terrible at theorycrafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raine O'Shae
msg tools
mb
3 each for single player
4 each for 2 player
6 each for 3 player
7 each for 4 player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grafenskopa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently tried a co-operative variant. With 3 players, we all had to have the minimum influence score each (that is 9 for us all) before going for end game. We played Commonwealth, and the 'game clock' passed quite quick since there isn't too many side missions. To gain agenda cards usually had us going for the main mission.

It was great fun. We worked on each others agenda cards to gain the neccessary points. We choose one branch of the main story to go for and used trading in camps quite often. It ended up with one player dealing out weapons, another player was the junkie-master (got all the drugs), and then we had the third player as an explorer flipping tiles. This constellation might well be changing game from game.

It was great story all around. We had a few interesting debates of what to do and in which order. I had to prevent my fellow BoS-player not to sell the power armor to buy more drugs and a drug coat (that was great fun!) And we all got a taste of doing the quests and events which made all of us part of the game, and no one was lagging behind which have been a problem for my previous three games. (All three games: one person had a lot of fun, doing mostly everything, the rest of us just watched, suffering quietly for 2-3 hours before the game was finally over.)

Maybe the influence points needed per person could increase a bit. We ended our game with 10, 10, 15 influence points on 3 players. Will have to playtest this some more to say for sure what number of influence points would be the right amount for a challangeing but fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.