13 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: How long is the IA app campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam Champness
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have a question about longevity for Imperial Assault and Descent Second Edition. I'm going to buy one of these games at the end of the month and am largely a duo or solo gamer. I'm happy to use the app and redjaks solo decks in order for me and my girlfriend to co op whatever one we get but my main question is basically, what one do we get? Descent has the app with what looks like 1 tutorial, 2 campaigns and two optional dungeon run type dlc's, it also has three official adventure decks I could buy before finally moving on to the fan made deck to allow us to play as a team or solo. Imperial Assault on the other hand currently only has one official campaign on the app so far BUT it's the latest iteration on the dungeon crawler build FFG have right now and it will likely get more added to it as the year progresses. I think mainly my question is what's the length of the campaign in Imperial Assault? it's great having the Descent option of many campaigns but if the current campaign is a good length then I could potentially end up finishing the campaign available well after a new one releases. I guess this also doubles as a do you think Descent will see more content now that the IA app is out? I think I would lean more towards IA if it will get a relatively steady stream of development. The final two Descent paid for DLC's had a year gap between them and neither were big campaigns judging from reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me this IA app was a let down because it is only 5 missions long. You will play very small and quick story event between these mission but it is short.
We will see more content in the future but in one of the update they said this first campaign is "full length".
The artificial intelligence is better in this version but for me the shorter play time is not satisfying we like to play longer games. We progress too quickly here.

This is why i will suggest Descent instead of Imperial Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have only played Descent 2nd edition (own 1st edition), and find it an ok game, IA is a better game (being the 3rd iteration of the descent series). There will be more content for the App for sure, and besides Redjak, there is a really good browser app that someone is developing (so far you can play the base campaign) AND there is a thriving community of play by forum. Play by Forum is an awesome way to play this game, and you can be the empire, or rebels. I think there have been 60+ games so far on this site, including all the content. Besides that, I have had no trouble grabbing people with the star wars theme, that the fantasy theme I might have non gamer friends not really wanting to play.

And thats just the campaign version. You also get the skirmish mode included! I'm not competing or keeping up with the local metta, but there are a LOT of skirmish maps, and various ways to build your armies, and this too keeps the game fresh and different. I've had a blast just with a one off with a buddy here and there.

Also painting the sets is a blast, sorastro has a great youtube series that takes you step by step.

I've have played this game a lot more than I thought I would!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
China
Guangzhou
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The IA app just came out last month and only has the free teaser. It has no paid content. So there is no apples to apples comparison currently. FFG will most certainly add paid campaigns this year.

The real question is what is your time frame for getting content. If you must have it now, go with Descent. However I share your concern that Descent will get no new content outside of people's side projects (there is an Open Source project that hijacks the official app to create user made campaigns, I think it is Valkyrie or something).

If you are not in a rush, hedge your bets and get IA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Champness
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mtagge wrote:
The IA app just came out last month and only has the free teaser. It has no paid content. So there is no apples to apples comparison currently. FFG will most certainly add paid campaigns this year.

My worry there was that the 3 pieces of free content for descent app were a tutorial and 2 campaigns, each campaign sounded to be quite long compared to the IA one. the only paid content for descent sounds like it was more hack and slash no story. So with that said it sounds like IA has a much shorter campaign attached to it than descent did and my worry is if they'll all be quite short comparatively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nobody knows, we just know that they called the Legend of the Alliance campaign a "full length campaign" in the update talking about it.

Descent has 2 campaign way longer but have also a lot of side quests (but to have them all you will have to buy a lot of expansion of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone above pointed out, someone is developing a Web-App so that you can play the actual boxed campaigns fully co-op.
Here's the link the the bgg thread: Imperial Directive, a solo/co-op campaign web app

And to the app itself: https://imperial-directive.herokuapp.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Champness
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Jjdelanoche wrote:
As someone above pointed out, someone is developing a Web-App so that you can play the actual boxed campaigns fully co-op.
Here's the link the the bgg thread: Imperial Directive, a solo/co-op campaign web app

And to the app itself: https://imperial-directive.herokuapp.com/

That may just seal the deal then, can use the app campaign to get used to it all then move on to this for the rest of it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck finding some of the Descent expansions as well, certainly in the UK. That is partly what has made me decide to stick with IA and sell my copy of Descent that I bought because I didn't think the IA app would ever get finished. Guess what, about a month after I bought Descent, the IA app was released So my copy of Descent is up for sale now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, how many missions made up the campaign of the core box of Descent?
In IA, I think it's 12 (including side missions).
If they're both comparable, I'd assume FFG are planning to catch up with campaign length some time down the road. Hopefully still for free (though it's unknown at the moment).

I still think it's good if you're prepared to enjoy the 1 vs. 1 game essentially, 'cause none of the automated solutions (Redjak, Legends of the Alliance, Imperial Directive) really will make you feel the same. (They don't let the decision-making entity know where figures are on the board.) "Obviously", might you say, but I think it's worth starting with this as background rather than hoping for a "great AI-driven opponent".

Are you also considering skirmish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Champness
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Herman92 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many missions made up the campaign of the core box of Descent?
If they're both comparable, I'd assume FFG are planning to catch up with campaign length some time down the road. Hopefully still for free (though it's unknown at the moment).

I still think it's good if you're prepared to enjoy the 1 vs. 1 game essentially, 'cause none of the automated solutions (Redjak, Legends of the Alliance, Imperial Directive) really will make you feel the same. (They don't let the decision-making entity know where figures are on the board.) "Obviously", might you say, but I think it's worth starting with this as background rather than hoping for a "great AI-driven opponent".

I've actually been ignoring skirmish as it's hard enough to get my girlfriend to play one game with me let alone if it's vs but it might be worth looking at for play with another friend of mine. I think I've been seriously underestimating skirmish after all the good words I've heard about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HorridGnu41 wrote:
Herman92 wrote:

I've actually been ignoring skirmish as it's hard enough to get my girlfriend to play one game with me let alone if it's vs but it might be worth looking at for play with another friend of mine. I think I've been seriously underestimating skirmish after all the good words I've heard about it.

Skirmish is good fun, even at a casual level. I've had some great 4p skirmish games but even at 2p it can be really fun too. I would recommend using an online tool for building armies so that when you do meet you're just ready to go (after grabbing the stuff out the box). If you have to factor army building into the time you have, it could take a really long time to play the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
HorridGnu41 wrote:
Herman92 wrote:

Skirmish is fun! I am actually using Skirmish to teach people the game:

1. Skirmish is fun on its own;
2. It's a good way to learn to the basic game mechanics;
3. It's a good way to learn how the various Imperial/Scum units work;
4. After playing a number of skirmish games players make less mistakes in the campaign - so lose less and have more fun;
5. You don't need 5 people to play skirmish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.