Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier Homps
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Morning everyone

I've had the situation multiple times, so wanted to check your opinion:
How do you prevent a barbie from snatching up a coastal city?
You might have a mature city, surrounded by reinforced tokens, but if he comes across the water (let's say there's a bay he can cross) then you're toast!
Very frustrating that there is nothing you can do to defend yourself, the only way to deal with it is to be on the offensive (and even then, quite late in the tech, since you can't attack over water until Mass Production, right?). Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much like in the computer game, I think the solution is to destroy the barbarian camps (in game: cover the respawn points) as quickly as possible to avoid just that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 5
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
Much like in the computer game, I think the solution is to destroy the barbarian camps (in game: cover the respawn points) as quickly as possible to avoid just that...

Yep thats what I did in my first game .I started off with barbarians beside me which took out one of my cities,but I covered the two barbarian camps nearest me as soon as I could.
I was'nt bothered by barbarians for the rest of the game.The ones left never posed much of a threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a wonder that protects your cities from barbarian attacks...

Other than that the best defense is a good offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also put a control token on the opposite shore that barbarians could attack from... assuming you have the tech that lets you place/move control tokens non-adjacent to cities. Would've been nice if a Naval military tech allowed you to "control" water with reinforced tokens for this purpose.

Historically, vikings raided coastal cities because they were easier targets for them. So the barbarian tokens could also be vikings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Homps
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't dispute the water mechanism, I dispute the fact that you can't really protect yourself from these <insert rude word> shake

And agree, naval tech would be awesome. Maybe the trade card could be enhanced to allow that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess our gripe is that the water faring barbarians jump the water tile and attack. If they are vikings on boats we'd just like them to move onto the water space and then on a future turn attack us. It is sudden jump two spaces that is jarring and "unfair". This may be our house-rule until things get sorted out in a FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Homps
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed, that would make a huge difference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Simple. Surround your cities with reinforced tokens, they act as defense, even from naval attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Homps
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They don't do anything against barbies though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Mai
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that the point of coastal cities? You get an easier to mature city at the price of vulnerability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delwarris wrote:
Isn't that the point of coastal cities? You get an easier to mature city at the price of vulnerability.

This! Easy to mature, easy to attack! Stay alert for the barbies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.