Subject: What is the 3 player game like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this over Christmas with 4 players and we had a blast. We only had time to play the first couple of scenarios.

My normal player count is with 3 players (my wife and son) so was wondering if we should wait till we have four/five players again to play the next scenarios or will the 3 player experience be just as fun and frantic?

I have the feeling it won't be hence that's why I'm asking as I'm thinking it will be a lot easier and straightforward the fewer pawns that are available to concentrate on and move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antanas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My preferred player count for the game is 5. Anything less didn't work as good but it was still enjoyable. Solo is an exception as it's probably the most intense experience. However, the best advice is to at least give it a go and see how you like it with 3 players. Even if you won't, it's quick enough so you won't be wasting a lot of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I love the 3p experience myself. No problem at all.

I'd play this game 2 to 5 without thinking twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:
I played this over Christmas with 4 players and we had a blast. We only had time to play the first couple of scenarios.

My normal player count is with 3 players (my wife and son) so was wondering if we should wait till we have four/five players again to play the next scenarios or will the 3 player experience be just as fun and frantic?

I have the feeling it won't be hence that's why I'm asking as I'm thinking it will be a lot easier and straightforward the fewer pawns that are available to concentrate on and move?
We prefer it with 3 or 4, when you go over 4 players, you start to duplicate directional moves, and it's harder for someone at the table (depending on your table) to reach the pawns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback guys

My eldest son read the rules and to be honest I had had too many Baileys and they were shouting at me a lot and pretty much hitting me on the head with the big red pawn thingy lol

Been trying to fit in all the new Crimbo games but I got the impression that Magic maze was a scenario thing that once you have done them you wont want to do them again so didnt want to play with 3 players and completed if it was better with 4.

Hope that makes sense....cheers again for replies will give it a (sober)go again tonight with the 3 of us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs Huijzer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Maze is absolutely not a 'play all scenarios onces and forget'-game. Each group has an specific groupdynamic so in my opinion it is no problem to start over with scenario one if you have a new group.

And I have had fantastic games with all groups I played with, whether it where 3, 4 or more players. So I hope you've too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this last night with 3 players and although still fun it was nowhere near as good as with 4 players.

The main problem was that one player has the up and right arrows so they are moving the pawns a lot more than other players so whilst still fun it did feel like one person was doing a lot more than the others.

I haven't played with 5 but my guess is 4 is the sweet spot for this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get to scenario 3, the action tiles rotate with each flip of the hourglass. So that should reduce your movement issue with 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Once you get to scenario 3, the action tiles rotate with each flip of the hourglass. So that should reduce your movement issue with 3 players.

Oh right yeah I didn't think of that. We only played the first scenario.

Will give it another go with three then as that should sort the problem out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.