Gregory Jennings
msg tools
I suspect the answer is yes as bonuses are added to the roll however if you have sufficient bonuses to equal the disaster number do you actually need to roll?

The context for the query was that I had a situation where the bonuses equalled the disaster number but when I rolled I got Double Hoods! Needless to say I was feeling a bit salty after that. angry I had a second occurrence in the same game where again I had the bonuses to succeed but rolled a Hood result on the roll.

My instinctive feeling is that it is probably intended to be this way but I'd be interested in other's take on it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
I supported because ...
badge
my silence is not questioned, nor is my presence, and sometimes there's magic!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, those Hood rolls can mess you up pretty badly. I've figured that you have to roll, because there's never such a thing as a perfectly risk-free rescue, and the Hood always takes delight in sticking it to International Rescue just when they think they're all done.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
notclive wrote:
Yeah, those Hood rolls can mess you up pretty badly. I've figured that you have to roll, because there's never such a thing as a perfectly risk-free rescue, and the Hood always takes delight in sticking it to International Rescue just when they think they're all done.

Exactly this. And it is for exactly this reason that John is such a powerful character to have aboard.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Jennings
msg tools
AernoutMJC wrote:
notclive wrote:
Yeah, those Hood rolls can mess you up pretty badly. I've figured that you have to roll, because there's never such a thing as a perfectly risk-free rescue, and the Hood always takes delight in sticking it to International Rescue just when they think they're all done.

Exactly this. And it is for exactly this reason that John is such a powerful character to have aboard.


Thanks - I agree that it certainly seems the intent of the rules and your rationales make sense.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorlon66 wrote:
I had a situation where the bonuses equalled the disaster number but when I rolled I got Double Hoods!
And that is exactly why you have to roll the dice. That, and the rules. The rules say
Quote:
Roll the two dice and add any bonuses to the sum of the two dice to determine the dice roll total
So you aren't using dice to top up your "rescue score", you are rolling dice to determine the outcome of your rescue - and adding bonuses to the dice roll. There's even an example that indicates the circumstances under which you do not have to roll the dice
Quote:
Some disaster cards do not have a difficulty number. If you meet the conditions on these cards, you can take the Rescue Action, but you do not need to roll the dice.
The corollary of this is that in all other situations you do have to roll the dice.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the below.
You have to roll, just because the Hood is there to foil you - no matter how prepared you are!

mccrispy wrote:
Vorlon66 wrote:
I had a situation where the bonuses equalled the disaster number but when I rolled I got Double Hoods!
And that is exactly why you have to roll the dice. That, and the rules. The rules say
Quote:
Roll the two dice and add any bonuses to the sum of the two dice to determine the dice roll total
So you aren't using dice to top up your "rescue score", you are rolling dice to determine the outcome of your rescue - and adding bonuses to the dice roll. There's even an example that indicates the circumstances under which you do not have to roll the dice
Quote:
Some disaster cards do not have a difficulty number. If you meet the conditions on these cards, you can take the Rescue Action, but you do not need to roll the dice.
The corollary of this is that in all other situations you do have to roll the dice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Just to make something crystal clear:

Even if you roll a double Hood, you can still complete the Rescue if you have enough bonuses. So far as the Rescue is concerned, the Hood face of the die is just a zero.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this happen yesterday -- and sure enough, we rolled double Hoods.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.