10 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dragons - Are we playing it right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
We are now doing all 4 dragons in a row.

We are only doing the PvP missions. We are skipping the Co-Op mod

Here are my questions:

1) The quest for the dragon counts the hits you make on the dragon, where a hit is either : A harpoon attack or a single attack where you had more crits than he rolled defense.

In other words, if you roll 2 crits in an attack and the dragon rolled 0 defense, you put 2 wounds on the dragon, but only progress in the quest for one hit.

Correct?

2) The dragon always fly off after 4 wounds. Wounds in this case include the harpoon and the ammount of crits you roll in an attack that bypassed his defense.

So if I hit him with the harpoon then roll 3 crits when I attack him and he doesn't defend, that's a total of 4 wounds and fe flies off. (still doing payback though)

3) None of 1 \ 2 changes when the dragon becomes elder, right?
To be honest, I don't get it. The only thing I see that would change when the dragon gets upgraded in missions 3\4 is that he just gets one single extra die to attack?

4) The life \ overkill of the dragon only matter in the Co-Op missions (which we're not doing) right?

Or does it mean that if I manage to give him overkill wounds that the dragon doesn't payback against me?

5) When the dragon shoves things in the square- does he shove pets?
Do they get a wound

6) When the dragon attacks, he only attacks close heroes, right? He doesn't attack pets?
I really REALLY think it's time this game gives us a pet FAQ

7) Death Curses - The manual says that when you finish part 1, you don't put out death curses for part 2.

However, we are skipping the part 2 missions. So... Should we get death curses or not?

We only did one mission so far and divided curses but I thought better ask about it and be sure before we move to the next one.

8) Reward Items - Each mission has 2 items and a sub mission of how to get them. However, those items don't actually come with a quest, right?

So still the winner needs to do the 4 wounds against the dragon.
Right?

And it doesn't count as game effects for things like Lucas.

9) We like keeping track of medals. How would you define category for "got reward" in the dragon scenario?

Is it the dragon items? Or the dragon trophy?
We chose the items since the winner gets the trophy anyway.

Other opinions are welcomed

10) Wild Pets - I know there's no plans in the game on adding them, but since we are doing 4 missions and some have better pets than others, I thought about maybe offering them at least as an option to other players. We can probably agree on where to randomly place them or something.

You think there's a problem with this? I don't see any but always good to ask other people opinion.

11) Each dragon gives 3 tokens as reward for all players in the end.
Are the tokens in the player possession? Or do you need to distribute them at the start of the mission?

For example, do I need to decide "I put 3 tokens on spike" and only Spike can use the reward (example, remove a poison to move a square) or do I have 3 tokens and I can use one whenever and however I want at any point?

Can I use a token when I rest?

Example: Rest, bring heroes back, spend a token and move a hero one space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should go to the variants thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Angelsenior wrote:

Why? Most of those are actual questions on the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

Why? Most of those are actual questions on the rules...

Agreed, it's predominantly rules questions, and the ones that aren't are generally trying to understand the intention behind the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts...

1) Yes. Technically, the rules call it a "Hurt" to differentiate from a "Hit"
2. Yes, although, the harpoon only causes a Hurt, not a Wound, so the dragon needs 4 wounds to fly away
3. Correct. None of the rules change for Elder dragons. They just have more attack and health.
4. Correct, but there is not any overkill on dragons
5 & 6. We have had the Dragon ignore pets since it says "targets close Heroes". Also there is no way that pets could survive a dragon attack.
7. You could pass them out. I think that they only have this rule so that you have a better chance against the Dragon since you only get 5 deaths in the co-op scenario before you lost
8. Correct. These are not an actual quest and there is no corresponding quest card
9. You could treat the dragon items as "got reward" and the dragon ability as the title
10. I don't see a problem with adding them, but it seems to me that they should be low priority at this point.
11. The tokens are a reward for completing the co-op scenario. Are you planning on just giving them to all players after each scenario? Looking at the various dragon rules, it says "These tokens are kept next to a players' Guild Sheets". They also can be used at any time, so I would say you do not distribute them and you can even use them if it is not your turn (if the conditions are met)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, you are playing it correctly. In the first scenario (at least for poison and fire, I don't have chaos and ice), it describes the four hits as coming from the harpoon or from an attack that deals one or more wounds to the dragon. In the pvp missions, wounds on the dragon do not matter.

2. Flying off after four wounds is triggered by four distinct hits. The first in this case coming from the harpoon, and then three separate attacks each with at least one wound. From memory, the first scenarios require that you do this twice to end the scenario.

3. His payback would increase by the one die, but the hits/wounds issue of 1/2 is the same.

4. Yes. Though, you may want to play it with the overkill wounds cancelling payback just for that flavor. (If you overkill a dragon, you deserve it).

5. We played it as yes and yes they get a wound. (Dragons seemed to have been planned pre-pets and so may have not been initially designed with pets in mind).

6. Here, I think some attention to detail is required. Enemies ignore pets for payback reactions, but can still deal wounds in some circumstances. Our group played this as the dragon does not initially target a pet, but they will damage any enemies (heroes or pets) that are in the area of effect of their attacks. I don't know how much this varies by dragon, but I recall that some of the attacks targeted all enemies close to the initial target. To summarize:
- primary target - hero
- subsequent targets for 'splash' or Area of Effect attacks can include pets

7. This is part where you need to adjust the rules since you are creating a variant. I would distribute curses between rounds since you are not doing the second part and probably looting up between dragons.

8. IDK - Would need to look at all of this again. I think the items are part of the second round. This may require some variants.

9. Got Title = Tropy/ability.
Got Reward = Dragon Items

10. Since we received the KS stuff late in one of our campaigns, the first time, we did a draft of the pets with subsequent wild pets located in equivalent spaces on the map. I don't like the whole 'all other wild pets run away rule' though. . . It's your campaign, work that part out equitably with the group.

11. I don't remember this at all, but our campaign ended after the dragon and maybe I just missed this rule.

You've been active enough in these forums that I know you'll work it out for your group. When in doubt, I always make a split decision based on what would make the game more fun and then work out the rules questions later (which I see you are doing now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses!
I didn't realize you get the tokens after the co-op...

We decided to play with them anyway just to see how it goes.

Arydis4 wrote:

5. We played it as yes and yes they get a wound. (Dragons seemed to have been planned pre-pets and so may have not been initially designed with pets in mind).

I actually really disagree with the bolded part. The dragons were part of the same KS as pets and let's face it, despite the pets being publicized in the middle of the ks campaign, they clearly were written in advance.

Also, you'll note that the dragonstone cards, unlike the brimstone and tombstone cards when they give you the ability to control a minion say that it will attack "non monster" instead of "enemy hero" so you can send them after pets.

This to me was the biggest indication that Dragons had pets in mind.

Arydis4 wrote:

6. Here, I think some attention to detail is required. Enemies ignore pets for payback reactions, but can still deal wounds in some circumstances.

Lord Fang, says he targets all "enemies" close to the target. So he can clearly hurt pets.

Troll says he targets all "heroes" close to the target, so he can't hurt pets.

The shove mechanic says it deals with "characters", which... I have no idea if pets count as one or not.

That's the big issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doughty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
...are better than one.
badge
Isaiah 41:10
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomer....my understanding is that a character is any miniature on the board.

But pets also do not take up any space right? So technically they wouldn't get shoved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shortly after the first AQ kickstarter was sent to backers, the development team started showing pictures of the painted KS frost dragon. There was talk then that a dragon scenario would be released. However, we did not actually see any scenario released until the AQ:I kickstarter when all four dragons were revealed.

The cards for the frost dragon have a distinct back from the other 3 which while I may certainly be wrong, seem to be part of the early design of the card which didn't get cleaned up to the new version.

All that being said, they certainly had time to fully incorporate the language of the KS dragons with the pet expansion in mind and vice versa. I just think that at some point, the cross-checking of the rules and terms left a few points muddied. Which tends to happen with expansion bloat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Replying to a really old thread, but I was looking something up and noticed that no one ever put the correct answer to #8.

The Reward items and Ability are technically quest rewards, both given out in phase 1.
The Ability goes to the first person to complete the harpoon/wounding quest.
The 2 Reward Items are given to the players that kill a specific enemy. The first player to do so gets their choice and the second player (can even be the same player) to do so gets the remaining one.

They are listed in the rules for the given scenario on what monsters drop them. For example the Hammer Beastmen drop them in the Frost Dragon scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.