Niall Howard
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically The Watcher in the Water, which is as scarce as hens teeth at the moment. I'm wondering whether veterans of the game were inclined to move on with other cycles and leave the remaining AP's in the particular cycle alone until the out-of-print one became available, or whether they'd buy the remaining AP's and go back to the missing one. I'm inclined to move on with the Against the Shadow cycle, although packs 4-6 in the Dwarrowdelf cycle seem to be both highly regarded and contain some iconic player cards. I know there are is no right/wrong way to approach this, but I'm curious as to what people who have been-there-done-that did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Calin
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked watcher in the water as a scenario, but if it's just a matter of "when you buy it" and not "if you buy it", I would say to go for available cycles. You don't need all AP's from a cycle, unless you want to play it like a sort of campaign. But that's just my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Get what you can now - I picked the highlights from each cycle first before filling up because that's what happened to be available. There are many good player cards in most packs so every little bit helps, particularly when you're trying to make themed decks with whatever a cycle focuses on. With the irregular reprints you just grab them when you see them, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For that cycle, I bought the APs as they became available. I kept checking Amazon, CSI, MM and Cardhaus, and eventually they'd pop up. Watcher and Foundations were the hardest two to find. As you stated, I kept seeing many cards being used from some of those APs when watching playthroughs, so knew I had to have 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching a video the other day by a very experienced player, Chris Stanford (Seastan) whose concept was "minimum purchase" - attempt each scenario with the minimum of required cardsets.

He was playing Shadow and Flame from the Dwarrowdelf cycle with the Core Set, Khazad Dum and Shadow and Flame sets only.

I have gaping holes in my LotR lcg collection so I just play with what I have, and I'm still having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Howard
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I hadn't considered the fact that the AP's that are in stock now might not be in stock when the AP's that are not in stock now are in stock! I think that's answered my question. Much obliged to all for your responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, it is stock here:

http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/the_lord_of_the_...

as is a lot of other harder to find packs. Only issue is shipping is high, though international isn't much more than US
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
I was watching a video the other day by a very experienced player, Chris Stanford (Seastan) whose concept was "minimum purchase" - attempt each scenario with the minimum of required cardsets.

He was playing Shadow and Flame from the Dwarrowdelf cycle with the Core Set, Khazad Dum and Shadow and Flame sets only.

Would you have a link for this? Is it on YouTube or..?

I have struggled to work out how to tackle that final scene in yhe Dwarrowdelf cycle and have subsequently ground to a halt, not wanting to move on to the next deluxe set until I have reached the conclusion! Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

or google lotr lcg shadow and flame minimum purchase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I prioritized by: budget > player cards > availability. Eventually I managed to buy all standard content (took me over a year).

The scenarios can always be played whenever, but player cards were always the main thing for me so I could build decks. I quickly abandoned the notion of 'progression' style when playing quests as to me it was more an issue of power over published date. Having an OP deck that crushed scenarios but was technically 'progression' made the whole notion meaningless to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.