Pandemic: State of Emergency» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hinterlands using cards instead of die rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hinterlands challenge was a bit too random for our taste, so we decided to try it using a deck of cards instead of a die. At the start of the game, make a deck of 3 blue, 3 red, 3 yellow and 3 black cards and 6 other cards (we took them from Pandemic Legacy, but you could also use another deck of cards as long as you have 4 suits and connect each suit to one color). Instead of rolling the die at the start of each infection phase, draw one card from the extra deck. If it is a blue, red, yellow or black card (or whatever you use instead), infect the corresponding Hinterland space. If it is a 'blank' card, do not infect. After an Epidemic, shuffle all cards to form a new deck.

This way, the chances of drawing each color are equally big as when using the die (at least when the deck has just been shuffled), but there is more predictability here. If you already drew 2 yellow cards, you know only one more can come up. This variant makes preventing outbreaks from the Hinterlands a bit easier. For us, the predictability felt more in line with the normal infection steps in Pandemic, and made Hinterlands a lot better. Maybe it's not as thematic as having a die in the Hinterlands challenge, but for us the increased predictability is more important than thematic gameplay here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand why people would do this, Pandemic after all is great because it's predictable and not just a dice chucking fest. However, the Hinterlands already (even with a die roll) make the game significantly easier and remove 90% of the puzzle. With a predictable deck, and knowing the 3rd card is unlikely to come up, I feel the game balance would be heavily skewed. Not to mention that you don't even really care about the 3rd card, it's the 4th card that matters...

Personally, if you don't like the dice roll for Hinterlands, I'd say just play without them entirely. It's definitely a module that I don't think adds much to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.