Konrad
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
CARD GAME

Recently I bought Warhammer Quest The Adventure Card Game and I've been really enjoying it so far. I've been thinking about getting into a new card game for 1-2 players and I've been eyeing LOTR LCG for a while now, but I don't know if it's worth to spend at least $100 (and then more) on it cause I know I'd need to buy the core set + Khazad Dum + probably 2 APs for this game to be playable. I'm also considering Aeon's End and The Big Book of Madness.

Oh, it's worth to mention that I don't really like Lovecraft themed games or games that are just ugly, like Star Realms or Race for the Galaxy for example.

BOARD GAME

As for co-op board games I currently have Robinson Crusoe and Pandemic, which I both enjoy playing, but now I'm looking for another one to add to the collection. I'm considering Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle, Spirit Island, Mechs vs Minions, Ex Libris and Clank! (the last 2 are not co-op but look interesting).

So in conlusion:
are you guys familiar with those games and you could sell me on any of them (or why you dislike that particular game)?
Or maybe you played some other card/co-op board games that you enjoyed and could recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Roby
United States
Ballston Spa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have LOTR LCG. It's awesome, but I'm totally hooked on the theme as I'm a huge Tolkien fan. I don't play as much because of the deck building aspects of the game. I don't have a lot of time to sit down and "figure out" the best cards to put together for a quest, and as you get more quests you'll need to build different decks to face them.

I do mostly play solo, but "two handed" where I control both "players". This allows me to use those cards which are more designed to support other players. I then build two decks (more likely from a list I've gotten from a blog) that compliment each other and have a ton of fun.

A different one that I've been playing lately is One Deck Dungeon. It can be played solo or in larger groups. I've only played it solo and 2P. It's a fun little thing and I don't have to spend time deck building. Just pick a hero and dungeon. Shuffle the cards and start.

On the board game front I play HotshotsHotshots. It's a 1 - 4 player co-op with a wilderness firefighting theme. There is a press your luck mechanic with the dice rolling. Similar to Pandemic the fire deck can play havoc. Just when you think you've got things under control everything blows up in your face and the games ends in a loss. I don't think it's a challenging as Pandemic, but I do find it a fun game that I can play a couple of solo games in an evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Recently picked up Raxxon this game you can play solo or 1-4 cooperative, the theme is set in the DoW universe I really like it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
rroby wrote:

I don't play as much because of the deck building aspects of the game. I don't have a lot of time to sit down and "figure out" the best cards to put together for a quest, and as you get more quests you'll need to build different decks to face them.

That's what I was afraid of and why I started to look for other options. And that's really a shame cause the same as you, I'm hooked on the theme. I'm slowly leaning towards Aeon's End, but I'll definitely look into the other games you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaldish wrote:
Recently I bought Warhammer Quest The Adventure Card Game and I've been really enjoying it so far. I've been thinking about getting into a new card game for 1-2 players and I've been eyeing LOTR LCG for a while now, but I don't know if it's worth to spend at least $100 (and then more) on it cause I know I'd need to buy the core set + Khazad Dum + probably 2 APs for this game to be playable.

In a word... yes. It is worth it. Sure, it's an expensive game, especially, when you buy all there is at some point it really adds up. But every new expansion offers new options and possibilities and a new scenario (or 2-3 in case of the deluxe expansions) to play. It's just great.

Quote:
As for co-op board games I currently have Robinson Crusoe and Pandemic, which I both enjoy playing, but now I'm looking for another one to add to the collection. I'm considering Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle, Spirit Island, Mechs vs Minions, Ex Libris and Clank! (the last 2 are not co-op but look interesting).

From those I've only play MvM and Clank!. Mechs vs Minions is a lot of fun, but it might not be the most replayable game out there. Clank! was pretty boring to me.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaldish wrote:
That's what I was afraid of and why I started to look for other options. And that's really a shame cause the same as you, I'm hooked on the theme. I'm slowly leaning towards Aeon's End, but I'll definitely look into the other games you mentioned.

If building your own decks does not appeal to you, while there are options (i.e. tons of decks on ringsdb.com), overall the game just won't be able to unfold its full potential.

Building decks is about half the game here.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On the card game front, The Big Book of Madness is good. It has decent replayability with variable difficulties and trying out different combinations of students, spells, and monsters. You also might consider the recently released Dragonfire. I haven't played it myself, but I enjoy it's older sibling, Shadowrun: Crossfire, and Dragonfire seems like that same system but more fleshed out.

+1 One Deck Dungeon

For the board game, I liked what I played of Harry Potter, though that's really more a card game in the same genre of Big Book of Madness. I played Clank! in Space and it's very good. While it has a significant board game element to it, it's primarily a card-driven deckbuilding game. I personally didn't have a great time playing Mechs vs. Minions. I did the whole 4-player campaign, and each session there seemed to be at least 1 person getting screwed and spinning around in circles while the rest of the players drafted the most useful cards and completed the objective. And this is coming from someone that really likes programmed action games. The components and packaging are undeniably beautiful, though.

Legends of Andor could be worth looking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Those of you guys who recommended One Deck Dungeon. Have you had an opportunity to play both that game and Aeon's End? If yes, then which one do you think would be better for playing by 1-2 players?

Emu Prime wrote:

For the board game, I liked what I played of Harry Potter, though that's really more a card game in the same genre of Big Book of Madness.

The thing I dislike about HP is that the cards look, in my opinion, just tacky and cheap. Instead of pictures of the characters from the movies, I'd much rather see an art similar to that in Lotr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been enjoying LotR LCG for about three months on and off now. Played through the first two scenarios but then moved onto the first of the Mirkwood cycle decks in order to bolster my decks. As above, I play as two players to get a good mix of the four disciplines on offer. I think this game would be very hard played as a single player. I have preferred it to Arkham Horror LCG, although it was more the output randomness that I couldn't handle from the tokens in a bag, and I didn't want to take the easy way out by "lightening the load" of the token distribution.

The HP game has great thematic tie-ins, and pretty much taught me deck building as a mechanic.

There are plenty of co-op games out there, including those you've mentioned, but don't forget Pandemic: Iberia and Flashpoint Fire Rescue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaldish wrote:
Oh, it's worth to mention that I don't really like Lovecraft themed games or games that are just ugly, like Star Realms or Race for the Galaxy for example.
Hmm. I'm not sure why you consider these games ugly.

Anyway, I agree that the LOTR LCG is probably not worth it for you. Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game kind of scratches the same itch and has excellent replayability. Assault on Doomrock is also one of my (solo) favorites with very challenging tactical combats.

Kaldish wrote:
I'm considering Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle, Spirit Island, Mechs vs Minions, Ex Libris and Clank! (the last 2 are not co-op but look interesting).
Imho, Spirit Island is the best of the bunch. Gameplay is rather unique, maybe comparable to Pandemic at a very high, abstract level.

Clank! is a really fun push-your-luck game with deck-building, and Mechs vs. Minions is a fun miniature game featuring programmed actions.

I don't know about the other games you mentioned, but these three at least are all good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Kaldish wrote:
CARD GAME

Recently I bought Warhammer Quest The Adventure Card Game and I've been really enjoying it so far. I've been thinking about getting into a new card game for 1-2 players and I've been eyeing LOTR LCG for a while now, but I don't know if it's worth to spend at least $100 (and then more) on it cause I know I'd need to buy the core set + Khazad Dum + probably 2 APs for this game to be playable. I'm also considering Aeon's End and The Big Book of Madness.

BOARD GAME

So in conlusion:
are you guys familiar with those games and you could sell me on any of them (or why you dislike that particular game)?
Or maybe you played some other card/co-op board games that you enjoyed and could recommend?

Aeon's End plays incredibly smooth and fast and is easy to learn.
You can pretty much say the same about Big Book of Madness, but is more like baby's first co-op deckbuilder difficulty wise(at least in my experience).

If you're new to the hobby, I would maybe wait a little before getting Spirit Island due to the complexity(unless you breezed through the Robinson Crusoe rulebook).

Mechs vs Minions is a fun ride, but Is it still easy to get a hold of?

Ghost Stories is a perhaps an option? It's basically a very difficult tower defense game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaldish wrote:

I'm considering Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle, Spirit Island, Mechs vs Minions, Ex Libris and Clank! (the last 2 are not co-op but look interesting).

Our games group played pandemic for years (every version). When I saw Spirit Island, I figured I could introduce it to the group and it would work, but it didn't. Not that the game isn't good, but the game was TOO complex for one of the group members and he completely made the intro game a pain for everyone by complaining the whole way through.

Since then, I have started playing Spirit Island with a different friend, and this game has now REPLACED Pandemic on top of not only my favorite coop games list, but also my favorite OVERALL games list. The game is awesome.

It's a step up from Pandemic in terms of complexity, but if you're fine with that then you should enjoy it. The theme really shines through, and replayability is high. Adding the expansion just adds a ton more replayability too.

I haven't played it solo however. I don't know if you just play with 1 spirit, or if you would take 2 and play like you would in a two player game. If that's the case, then it might be a bit of a longer game, since one of the things Spirit Island does well is eliminate a bit of the alpha gamer coop problem because you have so much to think about and deal with with just ONE spirit, that you don't have time to start telling everyone else what to do with theirs.

Anyways, all that to say that out of the games you listed, that one would be my recommendation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacy Malec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like mechs vs minions. It is easy to learn because it teaches you as you play. You also get a ton of components for only 75 dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like ugly games, Harry Potter may not be your cup of tea. IMO the spell cards just look tacky, and everything else is images cut from the movies. It can also be a fairly random game as you get further into it, which is a shame because the better mechanisms and cards are introduced in the later boxes, but also with the massive stack of cards it is easy to get screwed either by the player card market deck not producing useful cards, or a particularly nasty villain combination making it near impossible to make progress. I actually liked it better in books 1-4, but then once you hit book 5 it starts to become much more random. That said, if you are an HP fan it is probably worth the purchase. If not it may be worth skipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.