Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it seems that doors are always closed, so if you're in a 2-space room and fire breaks out in 1 of the 2 spaces, and you're told to put "fire" on each adjacent space...would you just add the 1 fire (to the adjacent space, in the same room)?

or...would the fire spread like a real fire to all adjacent spaces, regardless if they're on the other side of a door?

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The reference is quite clear on what adjacent means:
Quote:

- Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an impassable border, or a wall.
- Two rooms are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an impassable border, or a wall.
- A door is adjacent to each space for which it is a space edge.

So spaces either side of a door are adjacent.

BTW - IIRC fire normally spreads to one new adjacent space at a time, rather than each adjacent space (as you wrote).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
The reference is quite clear on what adjacent means:
Quote:

- Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an impassable border, or a wall.
- Two rooms are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an impassable border, or a wall.
- A door is adjacent to each space for which it is a space edge.

So spaces either side of a door are adjacent.

BTW - IIRC fire normally spreads to one new adjacent space at a time, rather than each adjacent space (as you wrote).
maybe so, but last night we had two (2) cases where we were instructed that the fire spread to each adjacent space...

and thanks for the feedback...that def makes sense and obv we just "missed it" in the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Piggybacking off of this, how are you supposed to determine which space the fire spreads to? We've just been letting the pseudo-Keeper (the one in charge of the app) decide. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richarizard92 wrote:
Piggybacking off of this, how are you supposed to determine which space the fire spreads to? We've just been letting the pseudo-Keeper (the one in charge of the app) decide. Is that right?

Players decide (if you can't decide, I believe you randomly pick which player decides).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
Richarizard92 wrote:

Players decide (if you can't decide, I believe you randomly pick which player decides).

This. Don't designate one player to make the choice or you could have a serious problem if one player goes insane. What if they have the arson insanity? Throw insanity in the mix qand having a designated player making decisions will really screw with someone's ability to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid no one has given you the correct answer yet. I've got to say, I'm really quite surprised by that too as this exact question has been discussed numerous times already in the forums.

Short Answer: No. Fire cannot spread through walls.

Source 1: MoM Rules Reference under "Wall"
Quote:
Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through
walls unless an effect specifically allows it.

Source 2: FAQ/Errata found here:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/27/a1...

Quote:
Q. "Can Fire spread through walls?"
A. No. Fire cannot spread through walls. Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through walls unless an effect specifically allows it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GermanTodd wrote:
I'm afraid no one has given you the correct answer yet. I've got to say, I'm really quite surprised by that too as this exact question has been discussed numerous times already in the forums.

Short Answer: No. Fire cannot spread through walls.

Source 1: MoM Rules Reference under "Wall"
Quote:
Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through
walls unless an effect specifically allows it.

Source 2: FAQ/Errata found here:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/27/a1...

Quote:
Q. "Can Fire spread through walls?"
A. No. Fire cannot spread through walls. Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through walls unless an effect specifically allows it."

The OP asked about a door, not a wall. So the fire should be able to pass through the door, but wouldn't have crossed the wall had it not contained a door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Good point. For most effects, however, doors behave like walls (always closed). I'll have to do some more digging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GermanTodd wrote:
Hmmm. Good point. For most effects, however, doors behave like walls (always closed). I'll have to do some more digging.

I think the point being made here is that (despite your claim otherwise) the OP's question was answered in the very first reply to the thread, since the question was about doors and the answer given gave all the information needed from the rulebook about how fire can spread through doors.

No digging needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
GermanTodd wrote:

I think the point being made here is that (despite your claim otherwise) the OP's question was answered in the very first reply to the thread, since the question was about doors and the answer given gave all the information needed from the rulebook about how fire can spread through doors.

No digging needed.

Man... this germantodd fellow was all arrogant and also completely wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly wrong. About the doors, absolutely, I was 100% wrong. About the walls, well, no one had yet pointed out that fire can't spread through walls and it really took me a while to wrap my head around the difference.

Sorry if I came off as arrogant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GermanTodd wrote:
Mostly wrong. About the doors, absolutely, I was 100% wrong. About the walls, well, no one had yet pointed out that fire can't spread through walls and it really took me a while to wrap my head around the difference.

Sorry if I came off as arrogant.

Your intentions were good. It's water under the bridge. The previous comment on you was trolling and does not serve this discussion. We can all move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.