6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What Pocket battles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
Looking for a travel/lunch at work-game, I have decided to buy some version of Pocket battles. Now, the question is which one to buy? Is any one of them better in some sense? More interesting pieces, more differentiated tactics, ...? Which one is the pinacle of awesomeness in the pocket battle genre?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only know the first two. There are more by now, I guess?

Pretty much, though, it comes down to which theme appeals to you the most.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
Yes, there are four now. Celts vs Romans, Orcs vs Elves, Confederacy vs Union and Macedonians vs Persians.

I have no real setting favorite I think, I am mostly fishing for the box that has the most interesting mechanics/pieces if any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the order that I like them is as follows:

Celts v Romans (just seems the most balanced)
Confederacy v Union
Orcs v Elves
Macedonians v Persians

They are all very similar. M v P just seemed to be more one dimensional. They are all a nice diversion.

Once you have a played each a couple of times there is some room for experimentation. 2 rounds would be a long game in any iteration.

We play with a "one more wound" to kill to add a little bit more thought in choosing damages. But that is just us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I like Celts Vs Romans and Macedonians Vs Persians.

Have a look at Table Battles as well which is in the same space as Pocket Battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
Thanks for feedback and tips all. I will go for celts vs romans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.