Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. So, I've made a quick search on this and couldn't find anything. Maybe I didn't find anything because this is really a dumb thing, but the fact is that when I noticed it on Hoth Campaign I was like ".... what?" for the past 2 weeks.

So, in Return to Hoth rules, it is said that sometimes you'll play some story mission in play facedown, and then you only reveal it when it is time to play the story mission. I was just wondering why is that important? I've played 4 campaigns so far and I have never seen any story mission containing any relevant information on them that would justify having some of them being secret. Am I missing something here? I mean, if it was a side mission I could see the benefit, since in a side mission there is a reward listed and then people could have a lot of time to think about what reward is better, but for story mission I'm just... curious.

I really appreciate if anyone cares to answer this. Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's for Hoth you are probably referring to missions with boons/banes? You don't really have to do that, it is just a reminder that a certain bane is active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
It looks like this only happens at the end of Story Mission 2 when it is referencing placing the card for Story Mission 3. The wording on both of the cards has some urgency to it.

So it would stand to reason that you wouldn't go do 2 side missions and then complete the story mission when there is a time crunch.

It's a little silly if you ask me, but I can see what the designers are trying to do there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TBH i don't really understand why there are cards for story missions at all, I must be missing something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
TBH i don't really understand why there are cards for story missions at all, I must be missing something

There are no cards for the start missions of all campaigns, so it seems to be a way to keep track of the missions. In later campaigns there may also be choice between story missions, and you may not want to write all of the alternatives into the campaign log just to strike over the not taken ones.

The mission cards are (usually) open information, and it may be easier to let the rebels read the cards instead of reading from the campaign book.

Also something that you may not think about until you create your own missions: The mission cards have flavor text that does not need to be included in the actual mission sheet. When you get down to it, fitting the events, flavor texts, and mission rules fit into 1 - or even 2 - pages is not that easy, so any small bit helps. It's not as bad as with the deployment and class cards, but a consideration anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_stag wrote:
It looks like this only happens at the end of Story Mission 2 when it is referencing placing the card for Story Mission 3. The wording on both of the cards has some urgency to it.

So it would stand to reason that you wouldn't go do 2 side missions and then complete the story mission when there is a time crunch.

It's a little silly if you ask me, but I can see what the designers are trying to do there.

I see... well, this does makes thematic sense I guess. Thanks!

ghost whistler wrote:

To me it looks like a consistency thing. All missions have cards, so we have cards for story missions as well. It does works as a pre-briefing chat among players and it is kind of cool to look at the artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:

It allows them to save room in the mission book pages by not having to take up a whole page with story text. The story mission cards provide you with much of the information that you need to understand the story, so if you're not reading those cards to the group they are going to have a hard time understanding what is going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.