BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Eldritch Horror or Runebound 3rd edition + Unbreakable Bonds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Caldinhas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hello guys,

I want to get an adventure game to play exclusively solo and I am between these 2 games, in your case what of them would be best to play solo regarding the following topics:

- Replay value
- Duration of the game
- Book keeping (number of things to keep track of and moving pieces)
- Simplicity of rules
- Need to play with several characters at the same time

Please give me your opinions.
Thank you all in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
let me give you a third option

Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game

the maker of this beauty lives here to
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb

so for a late pledge talk to him

and I can really recommend the game as many here would it has solo mode in from the creation process. your endboss power is defined by how good or bad as you do

is an adventure card game with a map to travel on and face encounters

unlike runebound the map is created a new each game by cards

you will love it. The artwork too is out off this world

sorry for making your desision harder devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caldinhas wrote:
Hello guys,

I want to get an adventure game to play exclusively solo and I am between these 2 games, in your case what of them would be best to play solo regarding the following topics:

- Replay value
- Duration of the game
- Simplicity of rules

Please give me your opinions.
Thank you all in advance.

-Replay value likely goes to runebound since you’re buying the expansion with it. The base game of eldritch horror has enough adventures to get you by, but you’ll want expansions in time. If you go down that rabbit hole, there is unlimited replay value with eldritch horror.

-Duration of the game is roughly the same when playing with solo and 2 characters

-book keeping and rules set are fairly straightforward for both games. Runebound MIGHT have a slightly easier rule set with the base competitive game, but when you add in the additional rules for unbreakable bonds, i find playing for the enemies to be a bit of a chore and there were a handful of rules ambiguities that frustrated me for my first few games. I’d give the slight nod to eldritch horror here, but that could change if you start adding any of the big box expansions to it, which is why I prefer the small box expansions.

-I believe both games dramatically benefit by playing as two characters. It’s more serviceable to play runebound with unbreakable bonds as one character, but not by much. And you’ll still run into issues such as needing to be on the other side of the map for a critical task and not have enough time to get there or encountering an obstacle that requires a skill your single character is extremely poor at which makes the task near impossible.

A few final notes-

1) I hate playing two character solo games, but I wouldn’t be intimidated by doing it in either of these games.
2) In my opinion, Eldritch Horror is the far better game. The story-telling, immersion, quality and variety of expansions, gear/loot system, enemy variety and streamlined combat, allies, spells, artifacts etc, various ancient ones and starting characters and how they each change the game etc all just make it a much more enjoyable game.
3) runebound was a competitive game turned cooperative. I believe they did a serviceable job at making it cooperative, but it doesn’t compare to eldritch horror which was built as a cooperative experience to begin with.

I know a lot of people like runebound, but I ended up selling the base game and unbreakable bonds and now look back and wonder why I even bought it to begin with when I have a great adventure game as is with eldritch horror. The only thing I can credit it to is the fact that I’m a sucker for fantasy flight and fantasy themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Caldinhas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
What about duration of games, how long do they usually take solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caldinhas wrote:
- Replay value
- Duration of the game
- Simplicity of rules
I think Runebound wins over Eldritch Horror for each of these points: It's shorter, simpler, has less book keeping and better replayability. I'm not sure either game is playable with a single character though (if you expect to have a realistic chance to win the game, that is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game length is somewhere between 1-2 hours for both games, depending on whether you are playing 1 or 2 characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank answer is neither as you ought to look for a bona fide solo game, but with a gun pointed at my head I would choose Runebound simply for its less fiddly nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to hear a couple people mention that runebound is less-fiddly. The base game of eldritch horror is very streamlined, and I felt the unbreakable bonds expansion with the new enemy boards and various pieces and tokens that you have to keep track of on the map made it far more fiddly than it needed to be.

I would agree that base runebound is easier than eldritch horror, but not runebound with unbreakable bonds.

I also agree that there are better solo games such as-

Mage Knight Board Game
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Gloomhaven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Caldinhas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I have seen some Eldritch Horror How to play videos and to be honest the amount of things to keep track of in the Mythos phase is crushing, it felt that half of each turn would be simply managing that phase with all its moving pieces and bookkeeping.

Does Runebound have the same type of phase? (I haven't found any decent How to play videos for Runebound so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Caldinhas wrote:
I have seen some Eldritch Horror How to play videos and to be honest the amount of things to keep track of in the Mythos phase is crushing, it felt that half of each turn would be simply managing that phase with all its moving pieces and bookkeeping.

I have played EH about 5 times now and never found this to be too bad.

HTH
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say anything about Runebound (I don't own it), but I do have Eldritch Horror and I've played it a good number of times and own a few of the expansions. So to answer some of your questions:

Replay Value: 4 'Gods' to play the game against out of the box. One (Azatoth) is easy enough, the others will take several attempts at before you beat them. The game can be very hard. If you are determined to beat each God fair and square, you should get 15-20 games out of the core set.

Duration: 2-3 hours playing solo. Games run longer with several players involved as there is more table-talk and strategy discussion. Also there is about half an hour of setup time to consider (the game has a LOT of bits).

Book Keeping: It's not too bad once you have q couple games behind you. The Mythos phase is where most of it is done, and its just a case of going over all the cards and bits on the board and seeing if they activate - and doing it in the right order!

Simplicity of Rules: If I was being reductionist, Eldritch Horror is basically "go somewhere, then draw a card and roll some dice". A lot of effort has gone into making that as immersive as possible, and games against different Gods do feel different, but the rules still boil down to more or less just doing that. I think that's a good thing(?) as it suggests that the rules have faded into the background over the games I've played. One or two timing issues do still crop up though, but the rules reference guide is good for answering them.

Need to play with Several Characters: Yes. You will need to play with 4 investigators. I've found that to be the minimum optimal number. It lets you cover the board effectively, and you need to play with an even number to avoid extra punishment as the game always rounds up or down against you if it needs to.

As a final note, if you do decide to get Eldritch Horror, I would strongly advise getting at least one small expansion that adds the rules reference cards (extremely useful for the Mythos phase) and the Focus tokens. I think Cities In Ruin should give you both of these (along with a bunch of other stuff) but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't actually need the official focus tokens, you can download the focus rules (or just learn them as they are 2-3 lines long) and use anything in place of the official token.

If you enjoy Eldritch Horror after playing it a time or two I would definitely recommend picking up Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore. It's a small box expansion that adds Yig as an AOO but more importantly it adds MANY cards to the base game decks. With just the base game you will recycle and see the same cards over again. With these extra decks (and more Mystery cards for AOO) that's not an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.