Assault of the Giants» Forums » General

Subject: How much euro, how much ameri? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ziemowit Gowin
msg tools
mb
Hello everyone,

I'd like to know to what degree Assault of the Giants is a euro game, by which I mean how much randomness there is and how much your strategic-cum-tactical thinking is required. I don't like games where a lot of aspects are dependent upon luck of each player. And if there is randomness, I like when you are able to fix it somehow (like, for instance, in draft, where you have to factor in your opponent's cards/possible strategy).

To give you a hint of what I seek in games - I like games like Inis, Cyclades, Blood Rage, Kemet, Mare Nostrum etc.

Any ideas? Any comparisons to other dudes on a map games like Blood Rage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since this hit the table for us, but I don't remember it being all that random. The dice allow for things you can do and they are only d6's so not super swingy.

Really this game is more of a tactical placement game than one of all out war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hillman
msg tools
I just got into the hobby, so I haven't really played anything like this (though, from what I understand, it pulls ideas from other games that I haven't played and puts them together).

I don't think it's too random. It requires skill and preparation to set your goal for the game and carry it out. Also, all players have to set their cards out face up on the table. So part of the game is understanding what others are doing and plan accordingly.

The things that are random in this game, should be. Things like Events (the quests), Resources, damage and blocking rolls, etc. are all random. But even then there are mechanics in trading to draw or trade for what you need instead of drawing randomly. And you can always increase your odds in combat by reinforcing your presence in a region.

Each giant race plays differently and has different goals in mind. I'll give a couple examples:

- The hill giants are weak and shouldn't try to pick fights often, but they can move around quickly and can earn points in other ways. They could probably do some far-away events more easily, but I think most of their points come from obtaining Food cards (a type of resource).
- The fire giants have some really powerful units that do well in combat. They have fire giant-specific events that get them fighting with other occupied regions.

I find it interesting that there are a few different ways to win, and each type of Giant makes some of those ways easier. Playing the game as a different race will certainly change the strategy of the game.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry i'm not really able to compare it to anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.