David Hewitt
United States
Wexford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this has been bothering me since my first play.

I assume you're trying to keep the ratio of 1 Ultratech = 2 large = 3 small cubes, and instead of the normal 1 point, those should be 1/2 point each for end-game scoring. I also assume the converter numbers are right, where 1 large = 1.5 small.

That means the "precise scoring" in the rulebook is wrong. It should not be 6/12, 4/12 and 3/12 respectively, it should be 6/12, 3/12 and 2/12.

At 4/12, 2 large is worth 2/3 of a point, not 1/2.
At 3/12, 3 small is worth 3/4 of a point, not 1/2.
At 3/12 and 4/12, 1 large is worth less than 1.5 small.

But at 3/12 for a large and 2/12 for a small, all the numbers work correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Davenport
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rule book is wrong. Math is hard. As you say, it should be 6/12, 3/12, and 2/12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continental Drift wrote:
Yes, the rule book is wrong. Math is hard. As you say, it should be 6/12, 3/12, and 2/12.

Has TauCeti confirmed that the rulebook is wrong - that this isn't intended for some esoteric balance issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hewitt
United States
Wexford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Continental Drift wrote:

Ah, I just saw you answered this in the rulebook thread, shortly before I posted it here. Sorry for the duplication. Hopefully the increased visibility will help others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TauCeti Deichmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mwanafalsafa wrote:
Continental Drift wrote:

Has TauCeti confirmed that the rulebook is wrong - that this isn't intended for some esoteric balance issue?

Well, this is embarrassing. I somehow managed to get that bit of easy math wrong. The correct values are 6/12, 3/12, 2/12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hanson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've sadly learned that collecting boardgames and playing them are different hobbies
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it throw anything off if I change the values of the points?

For example:
1 Sm Cube = 1 pt
1 Lg Cube = 1.5 pts
1 Ultratech = 3 pts
1 VP = 3 pts.

My ratios might be off, but the idea being the smallest value is a whole number. Then just divide by two for end game scoring.

the input/output ratios won't match, but they're still ratios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need VPs to be worth 6 VPs if you want that scaling, and you'll need to divide by 6 if you ever care about comparing scores against anyone outside of your group. Oh, and don't forget ships in your scoring (same value as small cubes).

Per the rules: "Each octagon, every 2 large cubes, and every 3 small cubes and/or ships are worth ½ point." So it takes 6 small cubes to equal 1 VP.

To me, it makes more sense to group my resources into 1VP sets (6 small or ships, 4 large, 2 octagons, or any linear combination of those), count them, then add the fractional remainder. YMMV!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hanson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've sadly learned that collecting boardgames and playing them are different hobbies
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not certain why VPs would have to double to 6? Don't VPs remain the same value during end game?

I'm planning on teaching this to some sales agents at work; I've shown them stuff like Cash n Guns and Werewolf, and this looked like a type of game they could get into.

I don't really want to explain that a small cube is 1/3 a VP and 1/6 at the end if I can just them round number from the get go (1.5 isn't that round, but better than nothing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not certain why VPs would have to double to 6? Don't VPs remain the same value during end game?

No. The "approximate fair-trade values" on the player-boards are double the actual end-game value of resources; so an ultratech is actually 0.5 VP, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hanson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Sorry, I should have been more specific and I think I misunderstood Becq's reply.

I thought they meant that in order to keep the scaling, VP Tokens need to be 6 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StagCutlery wrote:
Yes.

Sorry, I should have been more specific and I think I misunderstood Becq's reply.

I thought they meant that in order to keep the scaling, VP Tokens need to be 6 points.

Are you talking about mid-game valuation or end-game valuation? All resources (not VP tokens) are reduced to half value for final scoring. A small cube is worth 1/6 of a VP (not 1/3 of a VP), so if you want to revalue small cubes to 1 neoVP, then VP chips need to be worth 6 neoVPs to maintain the same relative value.

If you're talking about relative value *before* end-game, then your ratios are correct. (But this was a thread about final scoring, so I assumed you were talking about that!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hanson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sorry again.

I meant mid game valuation. Then just scoring up your wooden bits (plus ships) and dividing by 2 for end game valuation.

So for example (mid/end):
1 Sm : 1 / .5
1 Lg : 1.5 / .75
1 Ut : 3 / 1.5
1 VP : 3 / 3

I'm over thinking this. It's probably easier for them if I go with your idea of grouping them into sets of VPs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StagCutlery wrote:
Yes, sorry again.

I meant mid game valuation. Then just scoring up your wooden bits (plus ships) and dividing by 2 for end game valuation.

So for example (mid/end):
1 Sm : 1 / .5
1 Lg : 1.5 / .75
1 Ut : 3 / 1.5
1 VP : 3 / 3

I'm over thinking this. It's probably easier for them if I go with your idea of grouping them into sets of VPs

Agreed. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.