Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rostov Roskovoskky
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Air/Naval Combat DRM, is a carrier unit, say Force H, is its DRM

i) +2 UK naval unit AND +2 Carrier unit in Fair weather...

OR

ii) +2 Carrier unit in Fair weather....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hampshire
flag msg tools
No rule back to hand but 90% sure that mods stack so i) +4 total

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Spiller
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sic Semper Tyrannis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all DRMs stack I'm fairly sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Tillotson
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Yes, both DRMs apply, up to the maximum +/-10.

5.1 Combat Resolution Sequence (page 14 of the rulebook):

"Step 4) Each side determines its own die roll modifiers as per the Die Roll Modifiers list for the type of combat fought. After adding all modifiers for a side, the maximum DRM that can be applied to that side is + or – 10."

Combat Resolution Sequence Example:

"Step 4) Each side determines its own applicable ground combat die roll modifiers. The final Axis DRM is +1 (+2 for a Germany unit, +1 Air Support in Poor, +1 Tank unit in Poor, –2 for attacking a unit in a hex affected by Poor weather, and –1 for attacking a city). The final Soviet DRM is 0 (+1 Air Support in Poor, +1 Tank unit in Poor [due to the Tanks event marker] and –2 for being reduced)."

In any combat, the appropriate nationality modifier always applies to the defender and to the primary attacker. All other DRMs are situational, based on weather, supply status, special markers, etc. All applicable DRMs are added together to calculate the final DRM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rostov Roskovoskky
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah,I knew about the DRM stacking but not a UK naval unit/carrier unit were separate DRM stack. I'm playing through the North African scenario right now and I thought it was a bit much for the poor Italians to deal with a +4 UK Carrier fleet vs. a +0 Italian fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Tillotson
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Rostov wrote:
Ah,I knew about the DRM stacking but not a UK naval unit/carrier unit were separate DRM stack. I'm playing through the North African scenario right now and I thought it was a bit much for the poor Italians to deal with a +4 UK Carrier fleet vs. a +0 Italian fleet.

Yeah, the Italians do not have it easy in the Med, but that's historical.

Bad weather is the Italian's friend. Poor weather increases the chances that combat will have diamond (no effect) results. And severe weather actually imposes a -1 DRM on Force H, in addition to halving both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rostov wrote:

Besides the weather helping, those Force H sorties are also very expensive, so it basically has to get a 2:1 to be on par (and the UK can get really poor during the scenario). The economy is crucial in that scenario.

Also, after gaining a couple of sorties/in bad weather the Force H becomes rather vulnerable since it can easily be striked 1:1 with the cheaper Italian air force sorties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Hill
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rostov wrote:

It's not the Italian fleet that is the best counter to the UK Carrier fleet.

As Timo mentioned, Force H is also expensive when it comes to restoring sorties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Uxbridge

Sweden
msg tools
So, considering that there must be a Surprise Marker in the zone where a Carrier Strike is to take place, such a strike would cost 25 Production Points (20 for the Surprise Marker + 5 for paying the sortie)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uxbridge wrote:
So, considering that there must be a Surprise Marker in the zone where a Carrier Strike is to take place, such a strike would cost 25 Production Points (20 for the Surprise Marker + 5 for paying the sortie)?

After the fact, yes. It might cost more if the combat result inflicts more than 2 sorties to the carrier.

It is not very cost effective (production wise) to use a Surprise Attack marker for the sole purpose of a Carrier Strike. However, it might be good if used to hit an enemy air or naval unit that could potentially intercept your amphib invasion within the same Sea Zone, or hit an enemy air unit that could provide Air Support to a defending unit.

Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.