Forestaurant» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant to mitigate runs of bad luck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since we had a few games where the same number was drawn over and over, eventually leading us to lose all restaurant stars & subsequently losing the game, without it being our fault, I'm willing to try out some ways to mitigate bad luck.

To indicate that it is actually a problem: the probability of drawing 5 identical values anywhere in a deck of 96 cards (values 1-6, of 8 species, each card double) is around 2 percent (0.02 times 96). The most promising one sounds like this:

At the start of your turn, draw as many cards as the mushroom number shows. Choose 1 and put the others you drew onto the discard pile.

In other words, this is instead of the rule that you draw 1 from the draw deck, denote the row by one of the spare bells, take the card into your hand and handle the event phase.

This has several theoretical benefits:
- when it's quiet at the restaurant, the rule kinda reverts to the official one, there is not much danger whatever row gets activated.
- as it gets more and more frenzied, you thematically can get more guests at the door having to refuse some and let some through.
- you have an incentive to not lose too many mushrooms, because on the longer term you burn through the deck too fast.
- this will overall lead to more wild swings of a going back-and-forth of mushrooms, meaning more options.
- you can discard animals that you already scored (!) leaving you more options to actually survive forestaurant..

Perhaps the creator has playtested the above and rejected it, if so I would like to know the reason.
If not, I sure would like to try it out some day - Life get's kinda in the way to actually do it right now..

(By the way, the triangle does not signify a different deck, it is actually a traffic sign and only on rabbit cards)

Hope all is well and best of wishes for 2018!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivér Ősz
Hungary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kosterix wrote:
Since we had a few games where the same number was drawn over and over, eventually leading us to lose all restaurant stars & subsequently losing the game, without it being our fault, I'm willing to try out some ways to mitigate bad luck.

Even if the same number is drawn multiple times in a row, that doesn't inevitably lead to a loss. Then you don't get new guests or more stressed guests in other rows, so you can concentrate on this busy row.

kosterix wrote:
To indicate that it is actually a problem: the probability of drawing 5 identical values anywhere in a deck of 96 cards (values 1-6, of 8 species, each card double) is around 2 percent (0.02 times 96).

I'm pretty sure the probability of drawing 5 identical values in a row is smaller than 2%. If you shuffled the card back to the deck, you would always have 1/6 chance of getting a certain value, just like rolling a die. So the probability is equivalent to rolling the same value 5 times in a row with a die, which is (1/6)^4=0.077%. By not shuffling back the card, the chance actually decreases because there will be fewer cards of the same value in the deck after the subsequent draws.

kosterix wrote:
Perhaps the creator has playtested the above and rejected it, if so I would like to know the reason.
If not, I sure would like to try it out some day - Life get's kinda in the way to actually do it right now..

As for your variation, something similar was playtested where players choose the activated row from multiple card draws. It was discarded for thematic reasons (among others), as it felt weird that players can decide which guests would get more impatient.
However, you are free to try any rule variation, maybe you will like it better than the original rules, and that's the most important: to enjoy playing.

Wish you a lot of good games!
Olivér
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks for your comments.

Okay, tried it yesterday, it didn't work. For starters I still died, and second it leads to agonizing decisions who to serve and who to reject. I had red bears on tables, my hand had only blue and green animals, and I drew a red wolf and some greens..

Another idea: thematically a row of customers stands in line in front of the restaurant. The line length is the # on the mushroom track. Draw the first animal card from that line just as in the regular game. This would add some planning, but would lose some of the suspense of drawing at the start of the turn. I'll let you know how that will turn out.

This mitigation attempt is foremost for solo play, as others also commented is very hard to win.
It's not a critique on the game, I very much enjoy it, for me it opens up a world that immediately immerses. Very glad that it exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I didn't win but I did have more control.

I think it would be fun if you could refuse guests that come to eat at your restaurant: thematically draw top card, and discard if they wouldn't benefit you, that is put onto discard pile and draw a new card. Amount of chances to refuse is the number on the mushroom track.

This doesn't increase the table space needed, and if you already scored 5 beavers, you can keep them out more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.