Although I'm probably a bit of 1 and 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Serious Casual Gamers - With Poll
I'm the second who wants to be the first. I play games on average 3 times per week... I just wish there were a way to play each day. I'm at a lack for people to play with. I do play solo a decent bit... but I mean, most of my favorite heavy euros the solo just feels dumb. And a lot of the games I want to get into (meaty economic ones) don't do solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Re: Serious Casual Gamers - With Poll
I'm a serious gamer because I play games on a regular basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going by the descriptions and metrics mentioned, I'm a combination of the first three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of between one and two. I went with serious gamer because I'm not willing to admit that I'm that far gone. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
Nexus Ops fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! I considered myself a serious gamer but I own less than 25 games... Ok guys, I'm off to play some monopoly and game of life
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a quality over quantity kind of guy soooo... I fit nowhere here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vir3ns wrote:
Oh no! I considered myself a serious gamer but I own less than 25 games... Ok guys, I'm off to play some monopoly and game of life :(

I’d suggest Monopoly and Game of Life are mostly the choices of none-gamers rather than casual gamers, (not a choice on this poll- but then they won’t be here.)

Yes none-gamers playing games sounds like a contradiction but that’s the terminology used around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sans collection size, my life is definitely all about gaming.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obidiah wrote:
vir3ns wrote:
Oh no! I considered myself a serious gamer but I own less than 25 games... Ok guys, I'm off to play some monopoly and game of life

I’d suggest Monopoly and Game of Life are mostly the choices of none-gamers rather than casual gamers, (not a choice on this poll- but then they won’t be here.)

Yes none-gamers playing games sounds like a contradiction but that’s the terminology used around here.

"None-gamers"? Is that the BGG version of "muggles"? (Assuming I understand what a muggle is ... "Mundanian" I grok ... my light fantasy references are a couple decades out of date?)

Note to OP: arbitrary collection size guidelines? really? The size of the collection is not necessarily indicative of commitment or obsession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Obidiah wrote:
vir3ns wrote:
Oh no! I considered myself a serious gamer but I own less than 25 games... Ok guys, I'm off to play some monopoly and game of life :(

"None-gamers"? Is that the BGG version of "muggles"? (Assuming I understand what a muggle is ... "Mundanian" I grok ... my light fantasy references are a couple decades out of date?)

Note to OP: arbitrary collection size guidelines? really? The size of the collection is not necessarily indicative of commitment or obsession.

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I'm a quality over quantity kind of guy soooo... I fit nowhere here.

Good point.
Even though I qualify as a serious gamer considering the description, I know some folks who wouldn't spend as much money on games as I do, nor do they own as many games. But being in gaming-groups, their dedication and interest considering this hobby (or parts of it) cannot be questioned, and I'd definitely call them 'serious gamers' as well.
I don't think it's just about quantity - there are collectors who may own hundreds of titles that never made it to the table; on the other hand, others may prefer to take advantage of a larger collection of a friend or a gaming club...

Edit: OK, didn't realize the emphasis on 'may' modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I fit more into the Serious Casual Gamer category but have maybe 10 games out of our entire gaming group. The collection sizes in the poll are unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhere in between Serious Casual Gamer and Serious. If I had more time and less responsibilities I would be likely playing a LOT more and owning several more titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think about and research games far more than I have the time to play them. The collection has gone off the rails over the years, and we now have three dedicated locations for games: The main shelf, a small bit of the closet for the secondary games, and the back room for the games we don’t particularly care for, or are at least not primary or secondary.

Having moved from a gaming haven (Indianapolis), my gaming partners have gone from plentiful to primarily just my husband, which shifted a lot of things around, but we’re both happy! One of these decades we might even try and out something together for the Outside.

So I guess I’m a Lifetime Gamer, but with the actual reality of Serious? I would play much more than we do, but we still play a good amount of games. We even had a blog through last year with all our play!

Hmmm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I thought I was a casual gamer, but I'm getting more serious with board games, I have not played a video game in ages. I really like the social interaction and community spirit when playing board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put serious, casual gamer.

I feel like I'm still in search of what 'kind' of board gamer I am.

When I near exclusively played Magic: The Gathering years ago I considered myself a hard-core MTG player though I rarely participated in PTQs but I played several times a week, it was pretty much a life-style game for me. Wining games was seriously important to me especially in large multiplayer (chaos format).

Now? I play to win but that 'hunger' I had when playing MTG isn't the same with board gaming. Last night we played 4-player Viral, I was having fun and not doing so well. By the end of the game I had enough points to win the game (yay! for action cards with points). I feel like I'm pretty casual about board gaming but I still like to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I put serious, casual gamer.

I feel like I'm still in search of what 'kind' of board gamer I am.

When I near exclusively played Magic: The Gathering years ago I considered myself a hard-core MTG player though I rarely participated in PTQs but I played several times a week, it was pretty much a life-style game for me. Wining games was seriously important to me especially in large multiplayer (chaos format).

Now? I play to win but that 'hunger' I had when playing MTG isn't the same with board gaming. Last night we played 4-player Viral, I was having fun and not doing so well. By the end of the game I had enough points to win the game (yay! for action cards with points). I feel like I'm pretty casual about board gaming but I still like to win.

The thing with Magic is that desire to win is compelled to extend beyond the playing session because (unless you’re playing a sealed format) - the all important deck building is done outside the play session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure most people would put me in the "my life is gaming" category even though I probably wouldn't, so I'll just own it and vote that way.

Pete (probably spends more time on his uke than on games, though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My life is all about gaming
But its that way because of all the things that go along with gaming
I think one of the greatest things about board games being my hobby is how I can let it permeate my other interests. I love small crafting projects so I do PnP and box organizers. I like socializing with smallish groups at a time, games are perfect for that, this is defiantly the biggest thing. I like always keeping my mind going. Some familys talk over dinner we also have games to talk over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I claimed Serious, although I probably don't fit the ownership criteria- I have access to hundreds of games through the larger collections of people I play with, so I don't need to buy everything (or even most of) what I want to play.

For me, the hobby (and how serious you are about it) has always been more about playing than collecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xxxavierxxx wrote:
Veero wrote:

Sans collection size, my life is definitely all about gaming.

~V

For collection size I said 'may own hundreds of games,' but it is not necessary. As just one example, one could have very little money, but still be all about gaming.

Yup, and that's why I selected the option closest matching "poster child of the WHO's new gamer addiction profile." whistle

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely "My life is all about gaming." And I had no qualms about that choice! I enjoy being as into board gaming as I am, and it has led to lots of fun with lots of friends and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a serious gamer. Have been pretty much since the mid '70s with a few very short hiatuses and an occasional game purge here and there.
Wouldn't change a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.