Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first and third game with Clan Steward and still don't have a damn clue how to win with them. I know it's hard to say without setting up the game, but what should I look for when they're available as a pick? What should I focus on?

Last game, I tried to get out most of my workers (worker scoring on R3), which I did have all but one out.
That left me with few contracts completed and production lacking a bit...

By the end of the game, I had around 4 contracts (big mistake there, I know) and lost the game in 3rd place (with around 127pt) vs a whooping 216pt Buchanan and a 150ish Fergusson (with Campbell in 4th, with 124pt)

Is it worth manipulating the market so I can increase prices and make money out of there? (I have the impression that it's too small a change to make it worth the action)

Any tips for playing with them are appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't ask me - but I've seen it done
endou_kenji wrote:
Is it worth manipulating the market so I can increase prices and make money out of there? (I have the impression that it's too small a change to make it worth the action)
Well that's their super power! You should generally be trading with one trader at a time to maximise your discounts/bonuses. They are tricky to play well (I messed up badly on my only play of them), but are considered quite powerful now, because they can pick up cheap unprocessed goods and fulfil a lot of contracts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won with Clan Stewart. In the first two rounds I focused on putting out almost all of my workers and upgrading their income, so I would have lots of money. Then I also used the market to obtain the goods I needed to fulfill contracts - carefully choosing contracts to gain a balanced portfolio of tobacco, sugar and cotton. You don't want to get a zero in any scoring category if possible.

I did not use the market to attempt to make money. Instead, I used the market to make up for the fact that I was not producing very many goods in the early rounds of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a processed good through neighborhood early (in round 1 to 2, when other players have few merchants and no production) and sell those next round at a huge profit.

If you buy 3 bread at 7 pounds each due to neighborhood bonus, the price increases from 10 to 13 and you can then sell 3 bread at 39 pounds in total next round. Investing 21 cash and making 39 cash is a pretty decent ROI but it ties up some of your merchants. But especially in the first 1-2 rounds it can be difficult to make good use of 5 merchants anyway. In a 2 player game this is even stronger because you can buy 4 units through neighborhood bonus.

In order to be able to pull this off, place your initial workers next to clans like mackenzie or campbell since they put out production buildings early quite frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Leang
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Even with more merchants, I don't think "Manipulating" the market is really possible. I just don't think you'll have enough income to do make a drastic difference in the market. On the other hand, and as Juma (the designer of the game) mentioned, I definitely think the neighborhood bonus is critical for this clan. So you're starting positions are very critical.

I think this is the main advantage of having more merchants + shipping early on is to allow you a little more opportunity to take advantage of the neighborhood bonus. This is definitely situational but almost all powers are. If your neighbors don't have processed goods, then build some factories and buy the cheaper basic goods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jleang12 wrote:
Even with more merchants, I don't think "Manipulating" the market is really possible. I just don't think you'll have enough income to do make a drastic difference in the market. On the other hand, and as Juma (the designer of the game) mentioned, I definitely think the neighborhood bonus is critical for this clan. So you're starting positions are very critical.

I think this is the main advantage of having more merchants + shipping early on is to allow you a little more opportunity to take advantage of the neighborhood bonus. This is definitely situational but almost all powers are. If your neighbors don't have processed goods, then build some factories and buy the cheaper basic goods

I think that was my major mistake. I probably bought twice the whole game using the neighborhood bonus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Leang
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I definitely think it's something overlooked in the game which is why the map positions make such a big difference. Typically, it's pretty hard to take advantage of the neighborhood bonus early in the game (especially the first round) because:

1) They are more focused on economy (miners and/or cutters)
2) You don't have the merchants to actually take advantage of a neighborhood bonus

With the case of Clan Stewart, the 2nd problem is solved (as you start with 5 merchants vs everybody's 2) so you can definitely take FULL advantage of a neighborhood bonus opportunity (assuming you have the funds).

At times I wish there was a neighborhood bonus for miners and cutters as this would definitely help Clan Stewart (and merchants in general).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m just getting back into this game, and I’ve been playing and considering Stewart lately.

I believe this clan prefers contracts that do not require meat. Cows and sheep are essentially goods that can only be bought, but lack the benefits of being in the market. Therefore, if you see that “meat” VP scoring will be in the game, Stewart may be a poor choice.

I also find that the ports which allow trading one good for multiple other goods to be nice for Stewart. Stewart can trade a good that has a low value on the market for several higher value goods, then sell.

Anyone else have new insight over this past year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.