Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aries wind
United States
Mt Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
this came up in a recent game:

one player had run out of influence markers, and the rules state that once you run out, you can't spend any more influence and at the start of every turn you advance the progress marker.

they had a building that gave them influence on each income, so they soon got an influence back. one other player stated that they were unable to spend it since they had already gone down to 0 before. another said they should be able to spend it and that the progress advancing should stop until they ran out of influence again.

the rules arent really clear on this so can i get some help? what exactly happens when you get influence back after running out? (we ended up deciding that progress only advances if you have 0 influence at the start of your turn, whether or not you had previously been at 0)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We play it as you called it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it the way you played it. If you have no influence tokens at the start of your turn, you advance progress. If you had no influence previously, but you got some back, you don't advance progress, and you can spend that influence. I don't know why you wouldn't be allowed to spend that influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe what you ended up doing is correct.

The rules say to advance the progress marker when you start your turn with 0 influence. Nothing about once you hit zero and moving forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"another said they should be able to spend it and that the progress advancing should stop until they ran out of influence again."

This player is correct and should be given a bonus glory for their correctness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
arieswind wrote:
(we ended up deciding that progress only advances if you have 0 influence at the start of your turn, whether or not you had previously been at 0)

I believe this is correct and is basically what the rules state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aries wind
United States
Mt Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
i dont have the exact wording on hand since it isnt my game, but it said something like "if you run out, from that point forward you may not spend influence and you advance the progress track at the beginning of your turn", so they were saying that the "from that point" trumped the fact that you got influence back later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point. I think the rule is most clearly stated on rule 25: "Whenever a player begins their turn with 0 influence tokens, they must advance the progress token 1 space before taking their turn."

It's not as clear on rule 6, the one you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I came across this problem also. When I got an influence cube back, I did not move the progress track forward, but rather took a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so we're clear, when you're out of influence tokens, you do both, right? Move the progress token forward one space AND take a turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Meyer
United States
Wichita
KS
flag msg tools
[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=dr_lavo&numitems=10&header=1&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you keep taking turns as long as the progress track has not reached the end. Once it does, everyone finishes their turn so that everyone has the same number of turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
That's a good point. I think the rule is most clearly stated on rule 25: "Whenever a player begins their turn with 0 influence tokens, they must advance the progress token 1 space before taking their turn."

It's not as clear on rule 6, the one you mentioned.

Might be worth sticking in the FAQ? "If a player regains influence, the progress marker won't advance and they can spend available influence."

We figured that's how it worked when we encountered it, although typically there'd be one more turn of the progress marker moving, then the player took an action to reclaim a token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.