GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Keyper» Forums » General

Subject: Importance of buildings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam (bukimi)
Poland
Sosnowiec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I can't understand how it's profitable to play on your own building.
You need to spend so many moves on it and the gain is usually very low:
1. Get a building tile.
2. (get resources for this building if needed)
3. Spend action to build it / upgrade it (since some building seem to be worth activating only after upgrade)
4. Spend action to activate it ONCE without any help.
(5). You can activate it "twice" if you put another keyple there + lay down existing one.
Also: you need to have a keyple (action not available to someoone who already spent his keyples).

Upgraded Brickmaker would bring me only 2 bricks and I also need to spend 1 clay for it. I can just go to "trade" action and exchange any 1 good into 2 bricks. If I do it with 2 keyples of matching colors, I get 3 bricks "just like that" without spending all these actions on building.
The same goes with changing one jewel to another: I can just go get any gem without spending another one.

I'm missing something important here. Is it only "noone can join" bonus?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bukimi wrote:
(5). You can activate it "twice" if you put another keyple there + lay down existing one.
Also: you need to have a keyple (action not available to someoone who already spent his keyples).
This is slightly incorrect.

a) You can put a keyple on one of your own buildings to activate it
b) You can put a second one on to activate it again while laying down the first one
c) When you run out of keyples you can go back and lay down the single keyple, assuming you did not do option b earlier, or, if you did do option b, lay down the second keyple (who hasn't been laid down) to do the action a third time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bukimi wrote:
I can't understand how it's profitable to play on your own building.
It also depends on the building. There could be better plays on the boards, but some of the buildings are better than the board actions, and as you mentioned, you don't lose the keyple(s) you play on them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Verduzco
United States
Brownsville
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game but, after reading the rules and watching a few videos, I understand that playing your keeyple on your own board secures that keyple for the next round. Also you can lay it down to activate your building a second time.
Don't know if I answered your question but I think thats the profit.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bukimi wrote:

Upgraded Brickmaker would bring me only 2 bricks and I also need to spend 1 clay for it. I can just go to "trade" action and exchange any 1 good into 2 bricks. If I do it with 2 keyples of matching colors, I get 3 bricks "just like that" without spending all these actions on building.


Bear in mind that with the trade actions you can't trade literally anything - you can only trade other unprocessed resources (clay, logs, rock) to get other unprocessed resources, and if you want to get processed resources (bricks, planks, dressed stone) then you have to give up other processed resources.

(I forget the precise name of each resource, but you know - only cubes can be traded for cubes and only octagonal prisms can be traded for other octagonal prisms.)

Once you have some processed resources of some kind, then a trading space is the most efficient way to get more, sure. But you can also only use that space a certain number of times in a turn, and if you have another way to use those resources to get points, you may benefit from having a second option to get more of them. Plus, the spaces out on the country boards anyone can use. The buildings in your village can only be used by you, so you can guarantee that they'll be available when you need them.





Hypothetical easy example: you've secured a couple of the blue meeples. A boat comes in which allows you to sell bricks, and you have three bricks and also the brickmaker so you jump on it with a blue worker and sell two f your bricks for points. Other players see what you're doing and use the available trade actions, and you only get the chance to join on one of those to get two more bricks. You place a second blue worker on the boat and sell another two bricks for points. At this point, without the Brickmaker, you would be stuck - you've run out of options on the country boards to get more bricks. But with the Brickmaker, you can hit that on your own village to convert some clay into even more bricks, then later with lay-down actions sell those extra bricks on the same boat for even more points.
(As a bonus, there's some Spring buildings that get you points for selling on boats - and if you have those as well, then the Brickmaker is facilitating scoring all those other points as well.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone of Light
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. So, now I'm confused on buildings and have a question. I noticed in the rule book that we can play a second Keyple on a building. I missed that the first time. Can I play a second Keyple and lay down the first for 2 activations in the same turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone of Light wrote:
OK. So, now I'm confused on buildings and have a question. I noticed in the rule book that we can play a second Keyple on a building. I missed that the first time. Can I play a second Keyple and lay down the first for 2 activations in the same turn?


I'd have to look it up to be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that all the normal placement and play rules are the same for buildings in your village, with the sole exceptions being that:

* You don't invite other players to join you on your village board
* Other players cannot play directly onto your village board.

So you can play a single meeple at a time, but when you play a second one you can lay down the first as normal, and later you can lay down village meeples the same way you can lay down meeples on your claimed country board, and so on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Maillard
France
Flers
Orne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

So you can play a single meeple at a time, but when you play a second one you can lay down the first as normal, and later you can lay down village meeples the same way you can lay down meeples on your claimed country board, and so on.

I agree.
1.So for 1 Clay and a Worker : 1 Brick
2.Second Worker + Lay down the 1st Worker : 2 Bricks for 2 Clays
3. Lay down the last Keeple (if possible) : 1 Brick for 1 Clay
And secure 2 Workers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone of Light
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Stone of Light wrote:
OK. So, now I'm confused on buildings and have a question. I noticed in the rule book that we can play a second Keyple on a building. I missed that the first time. Can I play a second Keyple and lay down the first for 2 activations in the same turn?


I'd have to look it up to be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that all the normal placement and play rules are the same for buildings in your village, with the sole exceptions being that:

* You don't invite other players to join you on your village board
* Other players cannot play directly onto your village board.

So you can play a single meeple at a time, but when you play a second one you can lay down the first as normal, and later you can lay down village meeples the same way you can lay down meeples on your claimed country board, and so on.


Thanks for the response. I looked back into the rules and this seems to be correct. We played that wrong in our first games and that will definitely change the game for the better! Really looking forward to my next play!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that there are 4 parts to this:

First, any keyple played on your player board is going to be yours for the next season - particularly important if you would otherwise have to place it on a country board already claimed by someone else. Or, for Winter, this ensures you keep it if you have a building that scores that colour of keyple (Boatman, Lumberjack, etc).

Second, building tile actions tend to be better than field actions, or not available on fields anyway (though maybe only for some seasons). Examples: the Farm Labourer lets you build farm tiles for free; after Summer, the only way to upgrade raw materials (cubes) into finished goods (octagonal cylinders) is to use home buildings; and only the Alchemist can turn raw materials into gems.

Third, you can't be joined by another player, which means you're not helping someone else get an action out-of-turn, which helps them get more actions in the season via lay-downs when they've run out of placement actions.

And finally, you can do either of the following:
- Place a keyple, then later lay it down to do the action twice overall.
- Place a keyple, then join it (you can lay down the original keyple now or later), and later lay down the joiner (and the original if you haven't done so already) for a total of four uses of the action, though it takes three turns.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.