Pandemic: Rising Tide» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Grab your windmill cookies and Enjoy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Williams

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My grandmother is 100% dutch and I remember is eating those windmill cookies every time I was there. Also she told me the saying " If you ain't dutch you ain't much" Now on to the review.

Good: Challenging My wife and I had a tough time beating it the first few times. One of the issues was we were trying to beat it like a normal Pandemic game.
Bad: The borders of regions Some of the regions extend into a small area I would like to maybe have the whole map a little bigger so you can see where the small areas end better.
Good: It is different from the original Pandemic but still feels the same. That's a weird statement about it but it's true. It reminds me of when first playing Pandemic Legacy Season 2, you can not play it like Pandemic Legacy Season 1. You will most likely fail and be flooded out of the game faster than frozen pipe bursting and you being on vacation and not seeing it till your whole house is floating down the river.
Bad: One bump and your done. So many small pieces like Settlers of Catan if you bump the table it can ruin your game. Unlike Settlers you have a lot of little pieces on the board from the start. Make sure your kids under 5 are busy with other things or have a sturdy table to play on.
Good: I really enjoyed this theme of stopping floods from covering the Netherlands. ( not just because I do this to my bathroom while my kids are taking a bath) It is fun and a different theme from what is out now.

Bottom Line:

Do you enjoy pandemic and played Pandemic legacy season 1 and 2? Then pick this up. I would get it on sale or second hand.It does not change enough for a full retail 49.99 price tag.
Do you own pandemic legacy season 2 and your game group can’t get together soon enough to play the next month? Buy this one if you don't own the base pandemic game.
Do you not own any pandemic game? Start with Pandemic, then play Pandemic on the brink expansion. From there go to pandemic Legacy Season 1, then season 2. After all that and you want more Pandemic pick up this or Pandemic Iberia.

Links to the games mentioned:
Pandemic
Pandemic On the Brink
Pandemic Legacy Season 1
Pandemic Legacy Season 2
Pandemic Iberia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random curiosity - Do you find the challenge consistent in this one? I've only played 3 times but 2 games were too easy and one was too hard, despite trying to make small changes to the difficulty switches :/ (Which is frustrating because I otherwise love the theme and unique feel, but want to be able to get a consistent challenge in coops! ^^).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karel ter Linden
Netherlands
Schijf
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Lindoboom Collection
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
Random curiosity - Do you find the challenge consistent in this one? I've only played 3 times but 2 games were too easy and one was too hard, ...

I've exact the same experience. But it stongly depends on the roles that are played. Just like the original pandemic... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vand Lys
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lindoras wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:
Random curiosity - Do you find the challenge consistent in this one? I've only played 3 times but 2 games were too easy and one was too hard, ...

I've exact the same experience. But it stongly depends on the roles that are played. Just like the original pandemic... whistle

So far I find the game consistently easy. The white pawn (no clue what the role is called) I find rather useless, but in the challenge games it can be essential.
Other than that, any game with a black (port master) or orange (carpenter) role seems an automatic win. I will opt for a standard hard playstyle with people more familiar with the game, and wish I could have had more storm cards even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windmill cookies are called: "speculaas"
I love them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
junkit44 wrote:
My grandmother is 100% dutch and I remember is eating those windmill cookies every time I was there. Also she told me the saying " If you ain't dutch you ain't much"

Don't you mean "oma is 100% dutch?"

I'd get that same quote from my dad, plus "you may as well learn dutch now, it's all they speak it in heaven".

And yeah, both my parents are Dutch, so I can't wait to get a hold of this game. I'm hoping there's rules for wooden shoes (klomp) and "finger in dike".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count of Tuscany
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the white guy (Sanitor?/Schoonmaker). You can substantially abuse it's ability by traveling to a location and build a port and pumping station in it in the course of 2 turns. And you can still get the card back to hoard for a hydraulic structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windmill cookies
Red wings microbadge
"If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much

Are you from the Holland or Zeeland Michigan area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CountOfTuscany wrote:
I like the white guy (Sanitor?/Schoonmaker). You can substantially abuse it's ability by traveling to a location and build a port and pumping station in it in the course of 2 turns. And you can still get the card back to hoard for a hydraulic structure.

My only win was the only time I've played with that role in the game. It's a darn strong role.

Also why are people saying this is too easy? I've only won once. I suspect this version rewards conservative play and I tend to let things go in order to build/cure diseases faster. So maybe I need to revamp my playstyle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Williams

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pretty close to it!
dukane wrote:
Windmill cookies
Red wings microbadge
"If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much

Are you from the Holland or Zeeland Michigan area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.