Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Rauland
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the show Easy on Netflix (S2E2) a family is playing a game of Ticket to Ride.

At first I was excited to see a (somewhat) nerdy board game in a TV show but then I realized they weren't playing correctly.

"Okay I'm going to grab these two white cards"

"And that gives me 3 white cards and I can lay some track between Nashville and Little Rock"

The main character drew cards into his hand and then immediately claimed a route.

Not sure if the writers for the show were simplifying the game for the show (to make it go faster) or maybe if this is a common mistake with the game? Like how nobody knows how Monopoly is played and we all play with our own house rules.

Screenshot: https://twitter.com/BFTrick/status/948763293283336194
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, they used a cool game, got it mostly right, and didn't represent it as being dumb or nerdy, as far as I can tell. That's gotta count for something, right? Let's not lynch them too quick...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that too! I was mostly just excited to see it in a tv show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that the producers of the show are about 10-15 years behind the trends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rauland
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
educatedgravy wrote:
I was mostly just excited to see it in a tv show.

Totally agree. Happy to see it portrayed in a positive light even if they broke the rules to make it a more engaging scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably for simplicity's sake. Many shows and movies already take numerous liberties with other areas off realism. However, I'd it's not really a high budget site, it's also likely that it was just missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
It appears that the producers of the show are about 10-15 years behind the trends.

I’ll settle for that over the usual 30 years behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion managed to get Chess wrong. Chess!

I'm happy that they at least showed the game being played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

Most tv shows and movies make mistakes when showing people playing chess. The most common on is showing a 90 degree rotated board (a black square on the lower right)

Also Scorpion gets about 99% of the science wrong so that's not surprising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderingGiraffe wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

Most tv shows and movies make mistakes when showing people playing chess. The most common on is showing a 90 degree rotated board (a black square on the lower right)

Scorpion showed a chess tournament where a player used a knight to jump over a pawn diagonally and then removed the pawn as if it were checkers. I know it's the stupidest show about smart people on TV (beating even Big Bang Theory) but that was one for the books

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
ThunderingGiraffe wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

Scorpion showed a chess tournament where a player used a knight to jump over a pawn diagonally and then removed the pawn as if it were checkers. I know it's the stupidest show about smart people on TV (beating even Big Bang Theory) but that was one for the books
FWIW, BBT special features (season 1 IIRC) had the producers mention that they did hire "actual geniuses" to consult on their show. So all of the scientific talk is accurate (as opposed to garbled mumbo jumbo sci-fi sounding explanations), and the stuff they write on whiteboards is real. In fact, I don't know if they still do it, but periodically, the whiteboard contents would be the answers to a recent exam for one of the universities the consultant teaches at cool

They and others make sure they get references like to pop culture correct. Counterexample I've seen was TV show called Suddenly Susan, 2 adult, female people are chatting over a game of Mortal Kombat, with the conversation ending as so...

"I'm so glad you have such a big heart... so I can ripe it out!"
"Next time, I want to be princess Kitana!"

Spoiler (click to reveal)
That's NOT one of her finishing moves, and this was when we were only up to Mortal Kombat 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.