Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Dungeon Lords» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ghost unable to damage wizard due to invisibility, would a priest heal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the situation.

2 adventurers remain. A wizard in front with 2 damage (4 hp total) and a priest in back with 2 hearts and 3 hp.

I use cursed ring and a ghost, but upon reveal the combat card is Invisibility.

So, the Wizard and priest take 1 damage each from the ring.

Then the Wizard moves behind the priest and cannot be harmed. Now, obviously the ghost cannot do damage to anybody. But does this mean the ghost did not "attack" and therefore the priests don't heal, or does the priest heal itself and one point off the Wizard?

The FAQ covers the situation where a ghost cannot attack because there is only one adventurer, in which case no healing. But does invisibility prevent the ghost from attacking, or does it "attack" but do no damage?

-One Wolf
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is not considered attacking.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting case, and a real bummer i might add.

i think it dep if you think it falls in this category described by the faq

DL FAQ wrote:
Healing Step is skipped if...
You sent only monsters (or ghosts) that cannot attack (Vampire vs. priests only or Ghost vs. one adventurer)


The spells says "cannot be harmed" not "cannot be attacked", so there is an argument that it is attacked but not harmed.

But my own opinion is that it is intended to be synonymous in this case. Thematically, wizards can't be harmed bec they can't be seen. A more detailed logic can be very reasonably be inferred: wizards can't be harmed bec they can't be attacked bec they can't be seen. So to me, and our group would very likely play this way, we would say it fits in as a monster that cannot attack.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Agreed. Ghost did no damage and therefore did not attack. The rules are clear that "dealing damage" is important when determining if something attacked so for example, in the case of the slime where it chooses to deal it's non-damaging option, priests do not heal.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I agree. There has to be some damage dealt to trigger the healing, whatever happened to this damage (e.g. absorbed by bards). Here there is no damage dealt in the first place.
However, I'm wondering if the ghost is even allowed to target a wizard in this case.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
I think I agree. There has to be some damage dealt to trigger the healing, whatever happened to this damage (e.g. absorbed by bards). Here there is no damage dealt in the first place.
However, I'm wondering if the ghost is even allowed to target a wizard in this case.


I disagree with this interpretation.

Rulebook p.19 wrote:

Healing Step

This step occurs only if the following two conditions are met:

• The party has at least one priest or paladin (with the
symbol).

• At least one monster (or ghost) attacked. (The slime’s special
ability is not an attack.)


In the OP's scenario, ghost did not attack because he had no legal targets. As others pointed out, FAQ confirm, there is no healing.

In the case you mention, because damage is not a requirement for healing, absorbed hits do count as an attack. Healing happens.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Wolf wrote:
Here is the situation.

2 adventurers remain. A wizard in front with 2 damage (4 hp total) and a priest in back with 2 hearts and 3 hp.

I use cursed ring and a ghost, but upon reveal the combat card is Invisibility.

So, the Wizard and priest take 1 damage each from the ring.

Then the Wizard moves behind the priest and cannot be harmed. Now, obviously the ghost cannot do damage to anybody. But does this mean the ghost did not "attack" and therefore the priests don't heal, or does the priest heal itself and one point off the Wizard?

The FAQ covers the situation where a ghost cannot attack because there is only one adventurer, in which case no healing. But does invisibility prevent the ghost from attacking, or does it "attack" but do no damage?

-One Wolf

When in doubt take the worst scenario, ghost attack (so healing occurs) but no damage is dealt: after he fly Through the first adventurer he cannot find target to attack, so ghost say "hey I was quite sure that there was someone here, I go back to my dorm and take a sleep". But are we sure that ghosts don't see invisible adventurer? I know they do but they are too lazy for my opinion, they prefer to sleep.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
...

I think we agree.
However, I'm still wondering about the following :
- Is a monster allowed to target a wizard under invisibility, whether or not it can target other adventurers?
- If the answer is yes, does this trigger the healing?
I think I wouldn't trigger the healing, and yet I can't see anything remotely close to a firm unarguable official answer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see.

Thematically, the wizard is invisible (and not shielded) so I would assume he cannot be targetted: No healing.

However, if you base the interpretation strictly from the words printed on the card (cannot be harmed), then the wizard would be attacked without damage: Healing
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
I'm still wondering about the following :
- Is a monster allowed to target a wizard under invisibility, whether or not it can target other adventurers?
- If the answer is yes, does this trigger the healing?
I think I wouldn't trigger the healing, and yet I can't see anything remotely close to a firm unarguable official answer.

i guess you might want to do this if you send your ghost to knock out a wizard, invisibility comes up, and now attacking someone else will kick in the healer powers. In that case, i believe you have to use the ghost to attack someone else based on the faq.

DL FAQ wrote:
When can I withdraw a monster (or ghost) from battle?

Once sent to battle in the Planning Phase, monsters and ghosts cannot be voluntarily withdrawn (for example to avoid a nasty spell), and they have to use one of their combat options, if possible. Whether they can attack or not, they return face down. (Golems and Vampires are the exceptions – Golems always return face up. Even if your Vampire cannot attack, you may decide to return it face up. (Golems and Vampires that get turned into sheep, however, lose their abilities and are knocked out.))


it seems very out of spirit of the bold part to claim to attack an invisible wizard for 0 points. The wording here about non-attacking monsters also lends further support that invisibility results in not an attack on the wizard.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the responses. It seems that we are all in agreement that we think it means the ghost cannot attack and thus no priest healing, but are not 100% sure.

I concur. Unless I hear differently from Vlaada or anyone from Czech games this is how I will continue to play this quite unique set of circumstances. (If it ever comes up again)

-One Wolf
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i was researching something else and ran across this post, which seems to answer your question. and also concludes no healing.

Re: Shrinked Cockatrice counts as combat?
Quote:
Per page 5 of the original rulebook, "If no monster (or ghost) damaged the party this round, the priests do not heal..."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.