B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in playing through the entire Campaign, and also maximize your enjoyment and success rate, I suggest the following order of Adventures (the list can be found lower in the article).

Each Adventure should be run (and failed) as many times as needed to gain a single success, at which point you will be granted a Magic Item draw on par with the level of the Adventure you ran and then move onto the next Adventure.

The first rule of thumb is to always run a Dungeon Crawl (at the new level) any time you achieve a new level. This means that before you start the base campaign, you should consider completing the Dungeon Crawl successfully. Dungeon Crawl I and Wastes of an Ancient Empire are structurally the same in terms of Scenes and Encounter counts, but Wastes adds the additional element of adventure generated tokens. If you cannot complete the Dungeon Crawl I successfully, you are unlikely to succeed in Wastes.

The second rule of thumb is to delay optional Adventures until the Magic Item rewards are more powerful. Uncommon Items have the possibility of being permanent, while Common Magic Items are, so far, always consumable one-shots. The only optional Adventure is "The Portcullis is Breached" a level 1 Adventure. Running it at level 3 adds an initial Dragonfire Level of +2 but will come with an additional Uncommon Magic Item, a trade that is probably worthwhile.

The final rule of thumb is to accept that failure is a part of the campaign and built into the system. If you do not fail a few times, then there will be points when your Party is under the recommended level of an adventure. There is no shame in failing, and the rewards for getting through one extra scene might be enough to allow purchase of a new or different Feature before trying again.

Given those rules of thumbs, here's the recommended order for completing the Campaign. This is a total of 11 adventures.

Expansions increase the count by 13 (or 14) episodes...
Dragonspear Castle
Chaos in the Trollclaws
( Warlock's Crypt )
Sea of Swords
Moonshae Isles (7)
Corruption in Calimshan
Ravaging the Sword Coast
Sword Mountain's Crypt

The List
Level 1 (0-9xp)
Dungeon Crawl I (5xp)
Wastes of an Ancient Empire (5xp)

If you have failures while completing these two adventures, that's ok.
If you get to 10xp and haven't yet completed Wastes successfully, pause and do Dungeon Crawl II (the first Level 2 Adventure) before returning to conquer Wastes.

Level 2 (10-29xp)
Dungeon Crawl II {as soon as you get 10xp} (5xp)
Bodyguards (5xp)
Unholy Presence (5xp*)

Though you could attempt "The Portcullis is Breached" as well, per rule of thumb #2, I recommend delaying it until level 3.
As before, if you get to 30xp without completing this group, pause and do the next Dungeon Crawl (level III) before continuing.

Level 3 (30-59xp)
Dungeon Crawl III (as soon as you get 30xp) (5xp)
Terror in the Catacombs (5xp)
The Portcullis is Breached (5xp)

Level 3 is when you begin to accumulate Uncommon Magic Items. These items help form your character and may influence the direction of Feature choices made at this level. Magic Items will also help you through tough spots later on in the campaign.

If you get to 60xp before completing this group (unlikely), pause and do the Dungeon Crawl IV before returning.

Level 4 (60-99xp)
Dungeon Crawl IV (as soon as you get 60xp) (7xp)
Slaadi Plague (5xp)

Level 4 continues the accumulation of Magic, and may create some interesting choices. The Dungeon Crawl at level IV can be rough because of the increased Dragon Fire Level. The Slaadi Plague is meant to be an epic battle due to the guaranteed appearance of some of the hardest to defeat encounters in the Dungeon II deck. Expect to attempt these adventures multiple times.

Wherever you are level wise when you finish the Plague, if you have them, move on to the expansion content in this order:
Shadows over Dragonspear Castle
Chaos in the Trollclaws
Sea of Swords
Moonshae Storms Campaign (in order, adjusting for level as appropriate)
Corruption in Calimshan

As before, if you get to 100xp, pause to do Dungeon Crawl V before returning. If you do get to level 5 while doing the expansion content, you can only raise the adventures to level 4. That's fine, but you should also only award Magic Items equal to the Adventures' level when you complete them.

Level 5 (100-149xp)
Dungeon Crawl V (as soon as you get 100xp)

Dungeon Crawl V is your only shot at getting a Rare Magic Item currently. Per the rules in the core set, no other adventure can be raised to level 5 in order to gain that level of Magic. This may become your character's defining card.
( Actually, not true any more -- it's possible to raise Printed level 2 to Level 5 per recent clarifications. You can effectively raise any adventure +3 levels by adding starting Dragonfire Levels. )

Of course, it is also likely that you will retire your character soon after completing Dungeon Crawl V, at least until additional content packs are released.

Notes
You'll note I do not include the 'Quickstart Rules' adventure. If you choose to run the Quickstart, do so only one time, and regardless of failure or success, move on to the Dungeon Crawl I once you understand the basics of assigning damage to Monsters. The Quickstart Rules can teach some bad habits that are not present in the rest of the Adventures and also doesn't scale down well to 2p or 3p.
At my table, anyone who's ever played the game gets a Background Sticker when starting a new character. We don't feel the need to run the Quickstart with experienced players.
If you have only 2p or 3p, instead of doing the Quickstart, instead consider doing a two-level Dungeon Crawl as an introduction (and remove the locations for this intro). This would be similar to the introductory scenario "Ambulators" from Shadowrun:Crossfire, and should introduce the game sufficiently.

Details on additional strategy points at each of the character levels can be found in my Strategy series:
Dragonfire Level One Strategy - Delving and Wandering the Wastes
Dragonfire Level Two Strategy - Defenders of Daggerford
Dragonfire Level 3 & 4 Strategy - Delving, Defending the Portcullis, Exploring the Catacombs and Purging the Plague

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
Spain
Alicante
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, your posts have been very helpful so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a helpful guide to optimizing progression through the currently available Adventures. However, I would like to note that those that are trying to optimize the narrative aspects of the campaign may want to modify this progression slightly.

The first three chapters of the campaign all follow hot on the heels of one another. Chapter 1 runs directly into Chapter 2 with little pause in action and it doesn’t make sense that your party would have time for a side quest. Likewise, the action in Chapter 3 follows very closely on the action in Chapter 2 with no narrative downtime other than a night of rest.

So for those with an interest in focusing on the narrative progression, I would recommend Dungeon Crawl I (Level 1) > Chapter 1 (Level 1) > Chapter 2 (Level 2) > Chapter 3 (Level 2) > Dungeon Crawl II (if you haven’t leveled past Level 2, otherwise try a Dungeon Crawl III).

There’s still narrative impetus to head directly from Chapter 3 to Chapter 4, but there’s a little more wiggle room about traveling to the new adventure site. Our group tried (unsuccessfully) to squeeze in a Dungeon Crawl III before attempting Chapter 4 (we had leveled past DCII) justifying it as a scouting mission before fully committing to the appointed task. Our plan is still to complete the scouting mission with a Level 3 Dungeon Crawl before we head into the Chapter 4 campaign adventure.

Once you hit Level 3, the campaign narrative and the game progression opens up a little, but the adventures at Levels 1 and 2 are pretty tightly squeezed into just 30 XP. Even if you succeed the first time on every adventure, there isn’t a lot of room to lay about before leveling up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daskindt wrote:
So for those with an interest in focusing on the narrative progression, I would recommend Dungeon Crawl I (Level 1) > Chapter 1 (Level 1) > Chapter 2 (Level 2) > Chapter 3 (Level 2) > Dungeon Crawl II (if you haven’t leveled past Level 2, otherwise try a Dungeon Crawl III).

I agree that 'narrative' wise, you may not feel that you have time to duck out for a quick Dungeon crawl, but consider this...

Dungeon Crawl lets you use different primary/secondary decks than Dungeon I/Dungeon II.

For Dungeon Crawl II (after "Wastes" and before "Bodyguards"), use Wilderness I/Adventurers II (the same decks used for both Wastes and Bodyguard), or Wilderness I/Dungeon II.
The first simulates an assault on your camp after finding your quarry.
The second simulates setting up camp near an unfortunate cave or ruin.
If it helps, you can think of this Dungeon mix as the random encounters that occur while you were trying to sleep.

Skipping Dungeon Crawl at level 2 is just giving up a Common Item, but you never know when that Potion of Strength or Scroll of Burning Hands will make a difference.

For Dungeon Crawl III (after Unholy Presence), consider using City I/Adventurers II or City I/Dungeon II. In this case, you are patrolling the city after your Interview with a Vampire. The choice of secondary deck influences where you end your search, either knocking door to door in the dark alleys, or deep in the sewers (the Dungeon).

I strongly recommend not skipping the Dungeon Crawl III. The uncommon magic that you get is extremely valuable.

It's all in how you choose to interpret things.

Play hard and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
daskindt wrote:

I agree that 'narrative' wise, you may not feel that you have time to duck out for a quick Dungeon crawl, but consider this...

Dungeon Crawl lets you use different primary/secondary decks than Dungeon I/Dungeon II.

For Dungeon Crawl II (after "Wastes" and before "Bodyguards"), use Wilderness I/Adventurers II (the same decks used for both Wastes and Bodyguard), or Wilderness I/Dungeon II.
The first simulates an assault on your camp after finding your quarry.
The second simulates setting up camp near an unfortunate cave or ruin.
If it helps, you can think of this Dungeon mix as the random encounters that occur while you were trying to sleep.

Skipping Dungeon Crawl at level 2 is just giving up a Common Item, but you never know when that Potion of Strength or Scroll of Burning Hands will make a difference.

For Dungeon Crawl III (after Unholy Presence), consider using City I/Adventurers II or City I/Dungeon II. In this case, you are patrolling the city after your Interview with a Vampire. The choice of secondary deck influences where you end your search, either knocking door to door in the dark alleys, or deep in the sewers (the Dungeon).

I strongly recommend not skipping the Dungeon Crawl III. The uncommon magic that you get is extremely valuable.

It's all in how you choose to interpret things.

Play hard and have fun.

That's genius. I'm not too concerned with the narrative aspect of the game but what a great thought for those that are without inadvertently gimping yourself out of magic items. I am reading through all the narrative and the extra gameplay in the campaign book, but I might consider this for our next dungeon crawl at 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:

That's genius. I'm not too concerned with the narrative aspect of the game but what a great thought for those that are without inadvertently gimping yourself out of magic items. I am reading through all the narrative and the extra gameplay in the campaign book, but I might consider this for our next dungeon crawl at 4.

On our first run through of the campaign, we ended up doing Dungeon Crawl II right before Unholy Presence, and chose City I/Dungeon II.

The very last encounter on scene 3 was the Vampire Lair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Very helpful write up. Thanks for what you’re doing to add to the game community here. One minor thing I’d suggest for clarity is to spell out better regarding Party Level vs PC level in that whole scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonfiction wrote:
Very helpful write up. Thanks for what you’re doing to add to the game community here. One minor thing I’d suggest for clarity is to spell out better regarding Party Level vs PC level in that whole scheme.

A party that adventures together in lock step will all have the same level, and that means the Party level equals any given PCs level.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you are asking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the kind of post that makes me wish BGG stickied certain threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
@BCZ, I was thinking that it would be more common that some characters would occasionally be unconscious and thus miss out on an experience point here and there. Also, playing with a bigger group of people, characters are not likely necessarily to be in lockstep. Somebody decides they really want to play the newly released character, and it happens to be the same day that the usual player of that class is gone. Now you have two characters who are at different levels of experience than all the others.

But I do see how to players that always play together and only play together will be in lockstep. I guess after my Gloomhaven experience last Year, I’m kind of primed towards a drop in, drop out party of adventurers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed, @BS. I did figure out so much as to locate the BGG bookmark function. We’ll see how that works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonfiction wrote:
@BCZ, I was thinking that it would be more common that some characters would occasionally be unconscious and thus miss out on an experience point here and there.

I don't believe that's how it works. Everyone receives the same experience.

Quote:
Somebody decides they really want to play the newly released character, and it happens to be the same day that the usual player of that class is gone. Now you have two characters who are at different levels of experience than all the others.

Also not really how the game is designed to be played, but you CAN do it as long as you're enjoying yourself of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this is correct as well, SteoanK. As I understand the rules, everyone gets an XP for each scene they are present in. So long as even one stunned character crosses the finish line, everyone gets the completion bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
@Steve, Nice catch on that first one. Thank you. It’s every scene the party starts, not every scene the character starts.

As to the second point, I’m going to have to debate you a little on that one. I have a hard time conceiving of designers defining party class as an “average of character levels” if they did not intentionally design the game to allow characters to be at different levels. And the only way I can see for characters to be at different levels is for some characters to drop in and drop out thus creating a differential XP within the party.

I will grant you that it is probably not the way most people will play, or think of playing, unless it is a post Gloomhaven/Arkham Horror LCG group of players. (Which I’m lucky that my group will be. One player is from my Gloomhaven Group which just reached an endpoint, two players are from my Arkham LCG game night, and the other two are relatively new to deeper styles of game like this.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
All I meant is that it's not the way you probably should play, and they likely did that so when they release more character packs people will want to try them out while others will want to stay with their current characters. They made rules for it, wasn't debating that. Of course with the number of characters already out it can lead to this, it just doesn't make sense in the context of this thread to swap out a character either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huger wrote:
This is the kind of post that makes me wish BGG stickied certain threads.

the BGG equivalent of 'pinning' is forum thumbs - the one at the very top of the page.

The more of those an article has, the higher it will appear in forum lists and searches.

This allows the community to collectively determine if something is worth acknowledging as helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonfiction wrote:
@Steve, Nice catch on that first one. Thank you. It’s every scene the party starts, not every sscene the character starts.

As to the second point, I’m going to have to debate you a little on that one. I have a hard time conceiving of designers defining party class as an “average of character levels” if they did not intentionally design the game to allow characters to be at different levels. And the only way I can see for characters to be at different levels is for some characters to drop in and drop out thus creating a differential XP within the party.

I will grant you that it is probably not the way most people will play, or think of playing, unless it is a post Gloomhaven/Arkham Horror LCG group of players. (Which I’m lucky that my group will be. One player is from my Gloomhaven Group which just reached an endpoint, two players are from my Arkham LCG game night, and the other two are relatively new to deeper styles of game like this.)

I feel it is less likely that a party will be of mixed xp and have drop-in/drop-outs. Indeed, I feel it's an edge case.

If you need a rule of thumb, do the earliest adventure that nets someone a new Magic Item (and I'd further stipulate Uncommon or better).
Put another way, unless you have to 'grind' to get XP (which means you're doing well above average in terms of success rates), don't do an Adventure that won't yield some form of reward beyond the standard XP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
@Steve When you make the unsupported statement re: “not really how the game is designed to be played” then in the next post follow it up with some “should” statements which seem to imply that your personal preference carries weight beyond simple opinion, it could be taken as a bit condescending. I don’t think that is your intent, and I’m not taking it that way. It’s obvious from the spirit and activity of your posts here you are invested in being helpful and sharing the experience of a game you love with others. Just giving some unasked-for feedback in the spirit of maxing out this forum’s Hospitality stat.... my opinion and buck might get you a cup of coffee—-if you go someplace cheap!

That said, given the scaling difficulties at 2 player, and some of the other quibbles floating around, I do suspect that a wet behind the ears PC showing up to join the 2,3,4+ Level lockstep party might make the game a bit easier for everyone except that Level 1... and probably not THAT much harder on the L1. Especially given that the rule states to round Party Level down.

I can already see the need to use this element when Paladin or Monk or psionicist (What?! A fella can dream!) become available and somebody wants to switch horses IMMEDIATELY. Heh. As long as the GM/Campaign organizer keeps track of persistent “instances” or bubble universes of the campaign and doesn’t suffer any backwards time traveling PC paradoxes, I doubt it’ll be a problem.

Honestly, if the game gets to an unfun difficulty at later levels, swapping in a newbie character will likely be the first thing I try to bring balance back to the table’s experience. (And also because yeah, I’m mostly a story-gamer at heart. Bet you couldn’t tell with “fiction” right in my userid!)

Quote:
Some Maths, for example:

4 Lockstep PCs at L2-Swap in a newb, Party Level is now 1.

4 Lockstep PCs at L3-Swap in a newb, Party Level is now 2.

6 Lockstep PCs at L4-Swap in a newb, Party Level is now 3.

And to make it even weirder, say you’re setting up for a game day. One of your 6P party missed out on last game day when everyone else made it to Level 4, another gal is missing at this session, and ALSO there’s suddenly someone wanting to dump the party’s second cleric for a damn Paladin...

PC Levels are 4 4 4 3 1 making Party Level a reasonable 3.

BUT WAIT! That missing player shows up just in the nick of time! Now the lineup is 4 4 4 3 1 4 and Party Level is still a reasonable 3.

Had the late PC also wanted to start a new character, maybe a Monk... Now we have 4 4 4 3 1 1 and Party Level drops to 2. If the players want to, now they can play an Adventure at a HIGHER LEVEL, thus earning the better experience that usually comes with higher level Adventures and maybe possibly taking some (but not all) of the sting out of p24’s “will often lead to defeat” statement.

As @BCZ has pointed out in one of those excellent strategy posts: sometimes you might have to make choices about when to play which adventures and make careful choices about what you play/replay and when. Deliberate management of Party Level is just one more allowed mechanism of tweaking the game experience.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Just get excited when I consider the opportunities and experiences this game will create with my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am more likely to start over from the beginning with new character classes when they become available.

That said, we can get up to (not necessarily through) the Slaadi Plague in about 3-4 casual nights of play, so it's not that onerous an ask to have us start at square one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

I feel it is less likely that a party will be of mixed xp and have drop-in/drop-outs. Indeed, I feel it's an edge case.

Before my game night organizing experience of the past year I would have felt it was an edge case too. And maybe it is. But regardless, that’s the reality of the events I’ve been organizing and I love it! First was Arkham Horror LCG (3 regulars, one seat rotated between 2 people playing the 4th character, but it was allowed and seriously considered setting up two different 4th characters i.e. a PC4A and PC4B, as it were... and next run through we’ll probably do that). And then came Gloomhaven which scarred my expectations of getting a group together for campaign boardgame play for life, in the best way possible! (6 players, 34 sessions—so far—of 2,3, or 4 Players, running 10-soon to be 11-different characters)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonfiction wrote:
@Steve When you make the unsupported statement re: “not really how the game is designed to be played” then in the next post follow it up with some “should” statements which seem to imply that your personal preference carries weight beyond simple opinion, it could be taken as a bit condescending. I don’t think that is your intent, and I’m not taking it that way. It’s obvious from the spirit and activity of your posts here you are invested in being helpful and sharing the experience of a game you love with others. Just giving some unasked-for feedback in the spirit of maxing out this forum’s Hospitality stat.... my opinion and buck might get you a cup of coffee—-if you go someplace cheap!

That said, given the scaling difficulties at 2 player, and some of the other quibbles floating around, I do suspect that a wet behind the ears PC showing up to join the 2,3,4+ Level lockstep party might make the game a bit easier for everyone except that Level 1... and probably not THAT much harder on the L1. Especially given that the rule states to round Party Level down.

Well said and yeah, certainly not my intention. I was trying to convey, maybe unsuccessfully, that I believe they only threw in the "party level" rules for that purpose (and am honestly unfamiliar with shadowrun crossfire if anything like that existed).

For me, it's not really the way to play and neither would it be form the intentions of following the campaign through with one party. So personally, I would never suggest switching out characters in an established group and instead just starting a new campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept of bringing in a lower level 'apprentice' to soften the level boost on some adventures (most likely experienced if players were having a difficult time achieving success in levels 1-3) is an interesting concept and might be a good theoretical space to explore in its own article, especially since it's handled differently than Shadowrun:Crossfire, which instead dealt with mixed experience parties by reducing karmic awards for the more experienced in the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
@BCZ Honestly, sir, I would be fascinated to read your take on it, should you take up such an endeavor.

ETA: I tend to be good at seeing connections and opportunities like this, but I have to really work at it to suss out and apply the nitty gritty of all the implications. This seems like something you excel at, and is part of what I enjoy most in your articles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's in the queue, but no promises.

If someone else beats me to it, that's cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick follow up on this.

We had a 12 hour marathon this past weekend, 5p game.

One of our Fighters (that was the doubled up role) had to go after the first two games, so another person took their place.

I didn't feel that the 10xp delta was all that much of an obstacle. We did have to 'upsize' the Dungeon slightly to level II to enable everyone to get a Magic Item for that endeavor, but we emerged victorious without a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.