Subject: If your group loves BSG....will they love this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CJ Ren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anyone played it? What is it like? Is it all hype or is it a good game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Zakrzewski
Poland
flag msg tools
I think it'll vary depending on a group. While both are semi-coops in an isolated ship in space, they feel different. For example, in BSG you generally know that there is a Cylon somewhere, but other people are on your side. In Nemesis sometimes you will have a goal which gives you a slight chance that somebody else wants to do the same thing as you. Also, characters differ much more in Nemesis than in BSG.

So I'd say if your groups value a more self-centered(?) play and/or backstabbing other players, they might like it even more than BSG. If they like a more cooperative experience this may not be the best game for them. Please treat this as a very weak advice though, as I had only one chance of playing Nemesis so far.

Also, lots of people love BSG because of how well it captures an atmosphere of the TV series (this comment becomes irrelevant if they are fans of the Alien movies, I suppose).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Van Langenhove
msg tools
(I played a demo at spiel, not a full game. So this is my opinion based on that and might not 100% accurately reflect the final game)

It seems quite different from BSG in that in BSG you know that there are traitors who need a drastically different outcome than you to win.

In Nemesis everybody is still striving for the same basic goal, but has individual objectives as well. (Based on the small corner of the game that I saw in a demo session)

Depending on how the players individual objectives match up, you will have more or less of an antagonistic vibe going on.

If you each have some extra objectives that don't really contradict one another, you might see people behaving erratically as they try to do something extra, but they're not really trying to counteract you. This was the way it was when we played at spiel. Nobody needed anybody else to fail, we just had our own stuff to take care of aside from the main mission.

If you have objectives that do contradict each other (f.e. maybe there is an object "you must be the sole survivor" or "at least one other player must be infected" or something like that, I don't know) then there will be more of an antagonist vibe. Maybe there is even an "everybody must die and the mission must fail" personal objective, who knows.

The point is, it will depend on drawn objectives if it is more of a BSG or more of a dead of winter style semi-coop. By default there is not a good guys win or bad guys win outcome, more of a some win and some lose situation which may become a good guy vs bad guy situation based on random game elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.