Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been interested in this game for awhile, but the 3-5 players kept me away. Once I saw the Borg Expansion with 1-2 players, I bought in immediately. I have the core set, but I’m waiting on the Borg to arrive. I have a couple of questions that I haven’t seen covered.

While playing Solo, is it better to play with 1 faction or multiple? Do the more aggressive factions like the Klingons offer an easier play experience? If I play with 1 faction should I include the other home worlds as warp 3 civ that can be invaded or converted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine how you'd play multiple factions, since diplomacy is such an important part of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
I can't imagine how you'd play multiple factions, since diplomacy is such an important part of this game.

You could play them in a coop fashion, using the factions to bolster each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:

I've seen people play multiple factions for play through and tutorial videos, but you are right. In a real game setting it would be nearly impossible due to the diplomacy aspect of the game. Would you willingly make a deal with yourself knowing that you plan on backstabbing and betraying that deal in a couple turns?

If you don't mind losing that aspect of the game, I guess you could.

The big thing to keep in mind is that certain factions are really bad in solo play as well. The Ferengi are all but useless in that format since they rely on trade and interaction with other players to use 90% of their abilities. Cardassians are another one who (while great in multiplayer) are a bit too slow to build up in a 1v1 confrontation with the Borg due to their need to scatter their ships around in order to gain production from their planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A word of caution if you plan on playing only solo rules:

The solo rules as they are presented provide a very unstable environment with many unclear situations. If you are willing to make a few house rules I suppose they might work, but the RAW don't work properly.

We've had a lot of official answers to other rules questions, but are still awaiting clarifications for a lot of rules from the Borg expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
cheng wrote:

I've seen people play multiple factions for play through and tutorial videos, but you are right. In a real game setting it would be nearly impossible due to the diplomacy aspect of the game. Would you willingly make a deal with yourself knowing that you plan on backstabbing and betraying that deal in a couple turns?

If you don't mind losing that aspect of the game, I guess you could.

The big thing to keep in mind is that certain factions are really bad in solo play as well. The Ferengi are all but useless in that format since they rely on trade and interaction with other players to use 90% of their abilities. Cardassians are another one who (while great in multiplayer) are a bit too slow to build up in a 1v1 confrontation with the Borg due to their need to scatter their ships around in order to gain production from their planets.

I was thinking specificity of the Ferengi as good as bolstering ally, and a poor single faction. I just wasn’t sure if it would make things pointlessly easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
A word of caution if you plan on playing only solo rules:

The solo rules as they are presented provide a very unstable environment with many unclear situations. If you are willing to make a few house rules I suppose they might work, but the RAW don't work properly.

We've had a lot of official answers to other rules questions, but are still awaiting clarifications for a lot of rules from the Borg expansion.

That is good to know. I wasn’t aware of the rule inadequacies. I don’t mind a few houserules if I can get it to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of my thoughts on what needs fixing: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1910489/fixing-problems-bor...

Note that solo play may need even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Filip
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
In my experience solo play with one faction against the Borg is almost broken. The Borg cubes have the same strength regardless of number of players. In multiplayer games the factions can must join forces to defeat the Borg. The more factions, the more ships, the more likely players are to defeat the cubes. A single faction rarely has a survival chance.

The Borg AI is also pretty dumb and boring when playing with a single faction as they only have one target: you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fixpix wrote:
In my experience solo play with one faction against the Borg is almost broken. The Borg cubes have the same strength regardless of number of players. In multiplayer games the factions can must join forces to defeat the Borg. The more factions, the more ships, the more likely players are to defeat the cubes. A single faction rarely has a survival chance.

The Borg AI is also pretty dumb and boring when playing with a single faction as they only have one target: you.

So playing multiple factions is a must then. I thought they might be. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest thing to be aware of with when playing multiple factions is that only ONE can win the game. It's not a kill the borg and win, it's a get to 5 ascendancy first race still!

AdmiralCrunch wrote:
fixpix wrote:

So playing multiple factions is a must then. I thought they might be. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
The biggest thing to be aware of with when playing multiple factions is that only ONE can win the game. It's not a kill the borg and win, it's a get to 5 ascendancy first race still!

AdmiralCrunch wrote:
fixpix wrote:

Yeah, that is where it would fall apart without houserules. Or, once you defeat the Borg, have a free-for-all and see where the dust lands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:

It requires a great deal of doublethink. If you’re good at that kind of thing then it isn’t an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone who's played a (multiplayer) wargame solitaire can do this!

The thing is to be disciplined enough that when you're wearing the hat for each faction, that you play that faction to the best of your ability. It's really that simple.

Of course this means that "you" don't win. But you don't lose either. You simply play the game while watching a great story unfold in front of your eyes. It's like you're writing your own book. Wargamers do it all the time when they can't find an opponent...
"Hey, I've got this great wargame about the War of the Austrian Succession. Wanna come over and play?"
"No?"
"Well, I've also got an exciting game about the 1818 Battle of Gqokli Hill!"
"Not that one, either, huh? Then I guess I'll have to play them solitaire."
"Yes, of course I'm going to win. What a silly question."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But is it that simple? The one thing you can't do when you're playing solo is surprise one of the other factions with the move that you weren't expecting because you're the one thinking of that move so you can't not expect what you're already thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gilgermesh wrote:
But is it that simple? The one thing you can't do when
you're playing solo is surprise one of the other factions with the move that you weren't expecting because you're the one thinking of that move so you can't not expect what you're already thinking.

I said, "simple"... not, "easy"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it might help to have them make random de isions for eaxample a faction has 2 obvious strategy choices and you roll to see which they will follow. Likewise the defender may be preparing against either strategy but has to roll to see which they think is likely to occur and a such a simulated "surprise" might occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the direction of this thread. The OP was wondering if you could play multiple factions against the Borg AI or you had to play just one faction, no?

Why could you not just play multiple factions solo against the Borg and see if you can get one of them to 5 ascendancy before the Borg wipe them all out? Or for more of a challenge, all played factions must reach 5 ascendancy before being wiped out. No diplomacy needed. No worrying about backstabbing and such. Since most people seem to be saying the Borg are overpowered, and everyone will have to work together to beat them, what difference would it make? If he plays with just one faction as per the rules, there was no diplomacy anyway, so he isn't missing anything.

Mind you, I haven't had time to try this, but it should work from what I've read with little to no tweaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each faction has its way of doing things, if you let each faction work to the best of their abilities without having to worry about competition it will only be a race to the finish which will lead to obvious winners/losers ie federation is fast on culture/exploration will likely win if unchecked by klingon/romulan/cardassian counterattacks. Klingons who get culture from space battles will lag behind sorely if there are only battles vs the borg.
Ferengi who require trade to prosper will also be lagging behind without trade etc.

Without proper relations between each the game will turn ugly methinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
Each faction has its way of doing things, if you let each faction work to the best of their abilities without having to worry about competition it will only be a race to the finish which will lead to obvious winners/losers ie federation is fast on culture/exploration will likely win if unchecked by klingon/romulan/cardassian counterattacks. Klingons who get culture from space battles will lag behind sorely if there are only battles vs the borg.
Ferengi who require trade to prosper will also be lagging behind without trade etc.

Without proper relations between each the game will turn ugly methinks.

Not when he plays with the Borg expansion. Either you win, or the Borg. Nothing else matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What i mean is there are unavoidably lots of overlap situations between factions, without proper relations you likely take the easy decisions thereby ruining game balance.
For example,
choice in which faction colonizes which planet,
which trade they choose (without any trade ferengi would be at a disadvantage but with too much its easy-going).
Which passages of ships/fleets do they allow through their territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.