Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello all. Does anyone know where I could prototype opaque stickers on a clear background? I could also use opaque die cut stickers instead. I can find many services that do this in bulk, but nobody willing to do a few sheets/stickers. This is for a component on the current project. I'm trying to get a sticker on a piece of clear acetate, so everything is clear in the negative space.

If this is not the correct forum space for this issue, please let me know and I will move it and delete this.

THANK YOU!

I hope the New Year is starting strong for you, and you are kicking ass on your projects.

Owen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not be what your looking for but I think I have opaque sticker paper. I bought it months ago thinking it was clear. Message me if you think you might be able to use it and would cover shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That is an incredibly generous offer, thank you, but it's not exactly what I need. I'm shooting for die cut or clear negative space because the designs are super intricate and I couldn't even do it with a razor blade efficiently. I'm sure there are others that would benefit from your paper more than me. Thank you for thinking of me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the transparency functional or cosmetic? If it is cosmetic, I would recommend skipping it for your prototype; you typically don't want to spend a lot of money or effort just so you can try it out.

If it is functional (i.e. you need to be able to see through the transparent area to what's behind it), then I have no suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Equal question: how important is it that the bit with the printing on is completely opaque? Are you doing a Gloom-like obscure-some-things-and-allow-others-through design, or just something where you need to allow stuff from behind to be visible without necessarily covering things up?

I ask because I know I've seen completely-transparent stickers before - I believe SpielMaterial sells some, if you can't find any elsewhere - and you can print on those with a regular laser printer. It's just that because a regular printer can't print opacity you still end up being able to see through the printed areas somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
You can buy clear label stickers for home printers - Avery makes several sizes, usually sold as shipping or address labels, including full sheet. As long as what you want to print is relatively dark, that may work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laser printing comes out opaque. You should be able to do one-offs at like Kinkos (FedEx) or OfficeDepot. Though a $400 color laser printer was worth it for me at home. Rapidly pays for itself in time and ink vs a laserjet if printing manuals, etc.

I've used a copy place to buy one off sheets of cardstock in different colors. Just pay the per sheet copy price for heavier paper like 10 cents a sheet for a dozen sheets for a project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
Is the transparency functional or cosmetic? If it is cosmetic, I would recommend skipping it for your prototype; you typically don't want to spend a lot of money or effort just so you can try it out.

If it is functional (i.e. you need to be able to see through the transparent area to what's behind it), then I have no suggestions.

It's functional.

I'm also showing this at a small convention f for the first time and I don't mind spending a few more dollars to make it shine. I'm doing the visual development at the same time that I am doing a game design, this is one visual design solution I'm working on right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Opaque is important, the sticker needs to obscure the board below it, while the negative space shows the grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
CC, I think Kinkos is the next stop, they are just a pain to work with. At least they are dependable.

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other route for yourself or others... I have a desktop vinyl/paper cutter called CraftRobo; it's now rebranded as Silhouette by Graphtec. It uses a blade on plotter to cut based on vector graphics. So die cut is not necessary. The device itself is reasonable (if you have multiple uses for it) at under $300.

I haven't researched online resources for getting small jobs done, but I'm certain they're out there. The target market is scrap-bookers. I've found small cutouts hard to work with, but probably a patience/dexterity issue vs a technical limit.

P.s. A link: https://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-Machine-Starter-Permanent-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corsaire wrote:
Laser printing comes out opaque.

Yes, but also not really.

Full-saturation C, M, Y or K will be relatively opaque. But it also looks awful, and if you make your graphics any lighter, they'll be significantly more transparent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, white is generally accomplished by using white dead space, the white paper it is printed on. You won't be able to print white, or any color that utilizes the white space to lighten the color, unless you have a specialized printer that has white ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
FCSchmidt wrote:
Also, white is generally accomplished by using white dead space, the white paper it is printed on. You won't be able to print white, or any color that utilizes the white space to lighten the color, unless you have a specialized printer that has white ink.

Exactly. This is why I was looking for a company that could do it, but only do a few copies.

Lots of good ideas, and discussion, all. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Owen Matthew wrote:
Opaque is important, the sticker needs to obscure the board below it, while the negative space shows the grid.

Does it have to be free-form orientation? Could you print it out with a grid background, so the grid portion of the formerly negative space "replaces" the grid of the board below it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferne Hebig
Canada
Watson
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Not sure if you've already considered this but visaprint does a clear window decal that might just do the trick for you. It is sticky (will stick to anything clean and flat, and you can customize it any way you like.

The smallest they come in is 5" x 5", but you could print is as a sheet and cut each one out. You'd want to select the "outside glass" option so it comes printed to stick onto something and not on the reverse side.

This will print your full colour image on a clear sticky film.

If you need any assistance in figuring it out, let me know.

https://www.vistaprint.com/signs-posters/window-decals?xnav=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.