Subject: Tour de Handycon 20/01/2018 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This year I'll be running a grand tour at the 3rd bi annual Handycon convention in High Wycombe! If people are looking for some competitive buzz, this is a great event to attend and just play a bunch of games. If you do want to participate, please goto Handycon.co.uk to sign up.

Here are the tracks, profiles loosely based on this year's Tour de Yorkshire stages.
A2qKPFDHgtre3isblojcu
a2egc3pI68qjrDHFTksOU
A2KGqFop3resCLHItjnbu
A2gPMFqJrIStoEDH4k37u

Using standard grand tour rules, but without player powers (for now)
Considering adding mountain and sprint points, 4-2-1pts for each ascent, 2-1 tour points for intermediate sprints (at end of supply zones).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More visual stage maps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pleased to report that our tour was a success! Here's a quick writeup of how it was organised.

We had 8 contestants, so we split into 2 tables of 4. We played 2 games with the same people, then randomised fir stage 3. After that I split the group by total times, creating a top/bottom table.
I also allowed anyone to drop out after race 3, which one player did (he was hungry and not winning, but did come back to watch the finale)
I awarded 5/4/3/2/1 points for leaders in GC and KoM. We had 6 mountains overall, with 3/2/1 mp awarded for each.
Myself and one other player bid big for breakaway, which in the end put us in the lead. He secured KoM in stage 4 with 12mp (4 1p finishes) and his other rider got yellow jersey. His total came to 20pts, then myself on 16, then 11,10,10, and a group of 3-6pts each.

ANALYSIS
I liked making the final stage optional. If I'm not doing well and nowhere close to challenging for anything, I'd like to have the option to enjoy myself elsewhere. 4 stages may be one too many, but I think I'll keep it like this for now.
The mountain points worked as expected, giving incentive to break away early. I may have offered too many points for it though. I may replace this with intermediate sprints that give bonus time towards GC.
The stages were fine, but I will probably try a bit more variation, with one long flat stage somewhere. Having a single supply zone in each stage seems to help sprinters stay competitive throughout.
Next time I'll probably change the seating after one race - if there is a big mismatch in skill, one player can get a big advantage. In the same way, a fast table can cause a big split down the middle for GC.

Conclusions for multi-table grand tours in general:
Focus more on wins/mountain than GC to keep balance. Shake up the groups until final round, then seed so that top GC teams can compete against each other. Keep variety in stages, with at least 1 flat stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.