Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games like Life or Clue but better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Vance
msg tools
Hey! So I've never really played many board games, but through a series of unfortunate events am being forced to play Monopoly often. I'd rather not. So I'm looking for games to distract the Monopoly lover. I like Clue and Life. Any recommendations for a novice to board games? Looking for something that works best for 2-3ish people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game I played and really enjoyed recently was 13 Clues. It feels a lot like Clue without the dice rolling. You have the sheet of paper behind a shield to keep track of the information you figure out by asking other people questions. Another game like Clue but more creative is Mysterium. Both play better with more players, though but I think both can do 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two videos that will point you in a good direction

10 games better than Clue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYGLliJZeQ
List starts at 6:10
https://youtu.be/dkYGLliJZeQ?t=6m10s
Of these, I would personally recommend
Stop Thief!
Spyfall
Not on the list, but would also recommend
Codenames

10 games better than Life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a-JlPrm0Y8&t=211s
List starts at 7:06
https://youtu.be/-a-JlPrm0Y8?t=7m6s
Tokaido
The Pursuit of Happiness
CV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Kill Doctor Lucky (clue in reverse)
Mysterium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly Deal Card Game is a fun, much quicker card game version of Monopoly. It's also pretty easy to find in most retail stores that sell games.

And welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Arydis4 wrote:
Here are two videos that will point you in a good direction

10 games better than Clue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYGLliJZeQ
List starts at 6:10
https://youtu.be/dkYGLliJZeQ?t=6m10s
Stop Thief!
Spyfall
Not on the list, but would also recommend
Codenames

10 games better than Life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a-JlPrm0Y8&t=211s
List starts at 7:06
https://youtu.be/-a-JlPrm0Y8?t=7m6s
Tokaido
The Pursuit of Happiness
CV

I was going to suggest these exact videos. Check 'em out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery of the Abbey is a good clue replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cardboard Dad
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arydis4 wrote:

I'm also going to cast my vote for The Pursuit of Happiness as a replacement for Life. It seems complex, but it is surprisingly accessible. We've played many times with a mix of gamers, non-gamers, and children. It also generates some charming (and often hilarious) in-game stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kill Doctor Lucky or Save Doctor Lucky would feel "Clue-like" while giving a totally new and fun experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Because there are so many board games available now, I recommend you watch video play-throughs to find the ones you might like the best.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Watson & Holmes
Mystery of the Abbey
Mystery Express
Clue VCR Game
Clue DVD Game
27th Passenger: A Hunt on Rails
Orient Express
Kill Doctor Lucky
Nuns on the Run
221B Baker Street
Tragedy Looper (heavy brain burner)

Welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd look into Tabletop. It's a YouTube series where Wil Wheaton and other midlist celebrities play games. I'd recommend against relying on them as a way to learn the games (they're not great about rules accuracy in general and there are many other video series that are better for learning how to play the game), but it can be a great way to expose yourself to a lot of games really quickly and get a feel for what you're interested in.

They tend to go for the most popular and accessible games that resonate well with people who don't have a ton of gaming experience, so it works really well as a list of gateway games for people like you who are just getting into the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of life, check out CV

Clue, check out The Boss

Both of these are good with 2-3 players

For something different, I would also suggest you look at Kingdomino, as it is an excellent little game that is easy to learn and plays in just 15 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Havard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised nobody has suggested Catan (i.e. The Settlers of Catan). That was the first game I played outside of the basic Hasbro games that everyone has. Catan is also widely available at Target, Walmart, even some grocery stores... It's better with 3 people than 2 people but it's a solid game for novice gamers.

I don't play that game anymore because I enjoy so many others. So I've actually had it custom framed and it's up on my wall in my game room. Looks super cool. A great reminder of a classic game that got me into the hobby.

Carcassone was another one that I played in the very beginning. It's easy and fun and plays just as good with 2 people as it does with more.

I also Highly recommend Codenames, but if you're playing only with 2 or 3 people, you'll need to buy the Codenames Duet version. It's just as fun as the main version but the main one really needs at least 4 players. I absolutely Love that game. It's easily the one in my collection with the most plays and it never gets old!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The original version of The Game of Life is pretty doggone obnoxious and brutal. If you're not playing the original you're not playing the best. In that form I think the game holds its own nicely. So my recommendation for a replacement for The Game of Life may be The Game of Life. You want to original version of the board and rules, it was recently reprinted by Winning Moves Games (USA).

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Mr. Jack or One Night Ultimate Werewolf for your clue replacements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For deduction or clue like with a magic theme, try Magnum Opus.

For a twist on the family aspect of Game of life consider Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy.

That being said look at the mechanics of the games you like and look for those in other games...if you really like deduction you could look at Alchemists, which is deduction with worker placement worked in where you will likely never get the full solution to the puzzle...but the bluffing that you do adds a unique element to the game.

Buy a few and try, do your research here...and enjoy.

Welcome to BGG.

meeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game that outright replaces Clue is P.I..

It plays with 2 - 5 players, and works very well with 3. Unlike Clue where players are all trying to solve the same crime (suspect, weapon, location), players in P.I. are each trying to solve a different crime (suspect, crime, location), and can keep working toward a solution even after making an incorrect accusation. Moreover, there is no roll-and-move element in the game to frustrate the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb

Le Fantôme de l’Opéra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Mystery of the Abbey is a good clue replacement.

I love this game and I agree with you, but I'd say it's quite complex for people used to only play clue. A bit long too. Use with caution.

To the OP, you can also check Small Detectives, co-designed by B. Faidutti who also designed Mystery of the Abbey. Looks like a fairly simple clue-like game that works well at small player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kill Doctor Lucky is the same feel as Clue, but much better IMO. It's not that deep. You can teach it in ten minutes. It plays up to 8 people. It's the perfect swap for Clue. Might as well be Clue 2.0, but the objective is to kill someone instead of figure out who killed someone. A "prequel" to Clue if you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many good suggestions here for Clue, so I'll skip it.

A lot of people like Lords Of Vegas to replace Monopoly. Perhaps you and the Monopoly lover would enjoy this and then you would have an alternative that makes you both happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Mueller
msg tools
Here are some good games, that are easy to explain and fun to play:
Bohnanza
Glüx
7 Wonders
Splendor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.